Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looking at that side playing for the 2nds How things have changed. Not long ago to get a game for them you would have had to have had to have made big scores or taken 4/5 wickets in senior club cricket. Now many seem to get a game by just performing in academy or in the nets. I would not think a side coming over from India were not hoping to face a stronger side. I watched the first game which was embarrassing

Mumbai are on a "10 club" tour apparently, so I would expect them to be facing some stiffer opposition along the way. Sussex had to get ECB permission to play the games yesterday as it was quite obviously "men v boys" with a lot more of the youngsters being selected...but they must've felt it was a good opportunity & experience for some of the lads to have under their belts. I dont think it was ever about the result, but rather the players showing resilience & testing themselves, which is something thats been pushed heavily in the youth setup the last few years. My lad literally finished school 3 weeks ago & has never played against players anywhere near that level before.
Nice that Tymal Mills & Jofra Archer both turned up to watch and support the youngsters.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Mumbai are on a "10 club" tour apparently, so I would expect them to be facing some stiffer opposition along the way. Sussex had to get ECB permission to play the games yesterday as it was quite obviously "men v boys" with a lot more of the youngsters being selected...but they must've felt it was a good opportunity & experience for some of the lads to have under their belts. I dont think it was ever about the result, but rather the players showing resilience & testing themselves, which is something thats been pushed heavily in the youth setup the last few years. My lad literally finished school 3 weeks ago & has never played against players anywhere near that level before.
Nice that Tymal Mills & Jofra Archer both turned up to watch and support the youngsters.

Appreciate what you say but grew up in a system that you only progressed to next level after you have produced runs or wickets at the level you are playing at. I wonder how many of those lads have got big scores and 4/5 wickets in club cricket which is stronger than school and academy games.
I played with many players who when selected for 2nds really did think they had achieved something.
Maybe I am just living in the past and this is the way to go but dont see it.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Yep. I'll be there.

Hope the air con is on in the pavilion.

From the commentary this morning, ties are still required in the pavilion but you can remove your jacket today! Most general punters seem to have taken residence in the shaded parts of the grandstand.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Of course, this is just mirroring what's happening in the first team where kids are being blooded very quickly. I think it will pay dividends in the long run

Not surprised to see Jof there, he has a good reputation for that sort of thing. Good for him and Tymal to do their stuff

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
After the last match, all of our top 6 had scored more than 600 runs in the championship at an average over 40. That's fantastic. Batting is not the problem! It must be great for our young players to learn from Pujara how to play an innings. We've been unlucky with injuries to the bowlers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
After the last match, all of our top 6 had scored more than 600 runs in the championship at an average over 40. That's fantastic. Batting is not the problem! It must be great for our young players to learn from Pujara how to play an innings. We've been unlucky with injuries to the bowlers.

Something of an understatement!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pujara 200 not out :clap2:

Sussex 488/8. Great support from Finn, to keep him company, while he got the last few.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sussex past 500. Tim Murtagh's decision to bowl, looking slightly questionable, at this point...

Finn stumped, trying to hit the ball clean out of Lords. Excellent stumping, to be fair.

In comes the debutant, Currie.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Pujara out for 231 - great knock that.
I think that he's just three runs short of a 1000 for the season

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It wouldn't shock me to see Middlesex overtake Sussex's score before the end of play tomorrow

It looks a good batting track though so we should get a draw out of this.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Lovely day out at Lords watching proper cricket. So impressed watching Pujara today. Even as he approached the double ton, wasn’t taking any unnecessary risks and a real masterclass in how to play real cricket.

I thought Karvelas bowled well, certainly better than Finn.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Pujara has converted every one of his five half centuries into centuries.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lovely day out at Lords watching proper cricket. So impressed watching Pujara today. Even as he approached the double ton, wasn’t taking any unnecessary risks and a real masterclass in how to play real cricket.

As I said earlier, he's been a brilliant signing. Not only in the runs that he himself has scored but in the way that he has clearly influenced the young batters in the team - Orr, Clark and Carter have all come on well this season.

We just need someone to do the same with the bowlers ...

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
As I said earlier, he's been a brilliant signing. Not only in the runs that he himself has scored but in the way that he has clearly influenced the young batters in the team - Orr, Clark and Carter have all come on well this season.

We just need someone to do the same with the bowlers ...

I was at Lords yesterday and it was good to see Pujara constantly talking to and encouraging his partners, like Ibrahim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here