Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Mark McGhee

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
sorry but that is utter crap, I resent being called 'fan' because i think mgfuckwit had lost it.I am not misguided, I made my mind up on how the team played, how several players were puyblcally slated and by poor management comments about a game I payed money for (stoke). Please take your comnments back

Sharnt :)

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
The Blooms with some encouragement from the fans got McGhee sacked, I do not blame Knight as he stood by McGhee after the relegation and got the rug pulled out from underneath him, it was Bloom and a few hundred misguided and vocally loud Brighton " fans " who got him sacked. Knight just had the dirty task of sticking the knife in his back. It would have better for all concerned if he was sacked in the Summer if at all and the whole thing was a sorry mess.

The fact is McGhee has shoved it down the throats of the Brighton " fans " who drove him out, they wanted him to fall flat on his face and he is going from strength to strength.

Knight was not backing McGhee, Knight got caught in a power struggle of sorts, so could not get rid of McGhee in the summer.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Knight and the board got off very lightly there if I remember correctly. No contract talks for players or manager had been entered into and there was a power struggle going on in the boardroom?

Against this backdrop, a relegated team with no incentive and demotivated almost certainly by the doubts about their futures lost 5-0. Big f***ing deal was and is my reaction, but it was a great one to get your teeth into if you wanted McGhee out I agree. The game did not really matter however hard people try to say it did.

McGhee maybe should take some flak as should the players as should the board. But who got it? MM got 100% of the flak.
One thing that should be added to that is the "power struggle" (more like a difference of opinion) was caused by poor performances from McGhee's team, not vice versa.

Also I think the main issue was McGhee's blase attitude at that particular surrender. Fans are never going to take kindly to their team being rolled over at home and then told it didn't matter. But I agree in his ultimate downfall it wasn't that big of a factor.

1066gull

Us fans are fickle.

First we ALL wanted Sven out when he was the best manager this country ever had for a very long while. Then WE wanted McGhee out of our club. Why? Because we wanted short term success.

The naivity of all of us, including me. In future I will always think twice in the best interests of the club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
So when Motherwell start struggling. Probably a year and half from now can we dig up this thread.

McGhee has a shelf life of about 2 - 2 and a half seasons. Which in todays climate is about average for a manager.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
So when Motherwell start struggling. Probably a year and half from now can we dig up this thread.

McGhee has a shelf life of about 2 - 2 and a half seasons. Which in todays climate is about average for a manager.

spot on - hes a GOOD manager for the first couple of years, then he seems to lose the plot

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
When he starts trying to build his own team...

id agree with that - not sure what the situation was at reading but he has generally inherrited decent sides and kept their form going

however, this season could be argued as being a bit different, as motherwell have been shit for a few seasons, and indeed were second favourites to go down. yet he has managed to down them into a decent unit who get results againts the decent teams in the league - as is shown by their lofty league position

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When he starts trying to build his own team...

Even by your standards that is barmy Piers. Assuming he has inherited and kept the same team which of course is not the case ( but why let facts get in the way of McGhee bashing ) he has turned a team who finished up 2nd bottom last season to 3rd this season. So if he has inherited this team it makes his achievement even more remarkable but of course you can't see that as you will not have a single positive word said about the bloke for some bizarre reason.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Even by your standards that is barmy Piers. Assuming he has inherited and kept the same team which of course is not the case ( but why let facts get in the way of McGhee bashing ) he has turned a team who finished up 2nd bottom last season to 3rd this season. So if he has inherited this team it makes his achievement even more remarkable but of course you can't see that as you will not have a single positive word said about the bloke for some bizarre reason.

Credit to him for keeping us up the following season (although I do feel around February 2005 was when the rot actually set in). However the core of the team he took up was in fact the one Coppell / his predecessors had put together and Coppell left us in a loft position.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Credit to him for keeping us up the following season (although I do feel around February 2005 was when the rot actually set in). However the core of the team he took up was in fact the one Coppell / his predecessors had put together and Coppell left us in a loft position.

Not quite the truth though is it, Coppell did indeed take us to the top but Booker lost 3 of the 4 league games in charge so McGhee took over a team on a serious downturn. We had won 8 and lost 5 when he took over, that first season we won 14 and lost 8 in the league with him in charge.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
But it was only Aberdeen, they are about the same as Torquay and its only the Scottish league which me and you could get in a team up there bof, so no credit to McGhee as anyone could do it much like anyone could have got Brigthon promoted in their first season as they just picked the team for 30 odds games that Coppell had selected.

Us fans are fickle.

First we ALL wanted Sven out when he was the best manager this country ever had for a very long while. Then WE wanted McGhee out of our club. Why? Because we wanted short term success.

The naivity of all of us, including me. In future I will always think twice in the best interests of the club.

The best interest of this club, was to sack magoo. It's a FACT that he had sold average players for loads, but failed to find good players to replace them.
He could not get the best out of mercurial footballers with potential, and played shit tactics. The football was bad, and getting worse, and he was driving BHA toward a brick wall, while dismantling the steering wheel.

Get over it magooners, he might be suited to sweaty fitba, but the future of our club was wrested from his small mind just in time.

Well played DK :clap: a wise move.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sadly,McGhee is now Albion history,and yes,I am over it and have moved on.But please don't try to rewrite history.DK buckled in the face of a couple of hundred junior lager louts at Bristol.The end.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
In hindsight that was clearly the right thing to do-although at the time I thought it was wrong. Glad I'm not running a lower division football club.

My thoughts exactly!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What price on MM becoming Scotland manager and Terry Butcher going back to Motherwell, especially as he has proved he is not good enought for Div 2, so should just about be good enough for SPL.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The best interest of this club, was to sack magoo. It's a FACT that he had sold average players for loads, but failed to find good players to replace them.
He could not get the best out of mercurial footballers with potential, and played shit tactics. The football was bad, and getting worse, and he was driving BHA toward a brick wall, while dismantling the steering wheel.

Get over it magooners, he might be suited to sweaty fitba, but the future of our club was wrested from his small mind just in time.

Well played DK :clap: a wise move.

Just out of interest, what is our record under Wendy, now that quality players are flocking to Withdean with the great wages we pay and passionate fans that support the team?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here