Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Mark McGhee

Out of interest anyone know, with the exception of Celtic and Rangers themselves, why other SPL teams never sell out for the visit of these two? Is the ticketing that well controlled that old firm fans find it impossible to get tickets for the home stands?

I know season ticket holders at St Mirren, Dundee, Dundee Utd and Motherwell who refuse to go to the games against the OF, because they don't want their kids hearing the sectarian songs and general nastiness the Rantic scum bring to football.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
MM has always been a success with 3rd division teams, even us. Good luck to him, He did us proud but ran out of steam and ideas and had become stale and predictable in his team selection and tactics and we were probably right to change when we did.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
MM has always been a success with 3rd division teams, even us. Good luck to him, He did us proud but ran out of steam and ideas and had become stale and predictable in his team selection and tactics and we were probably right to change when we did.

Agreed, McGhee didn't deserve a lot of the abuse he got but he does have a track record of starting out well with teams but then his success seems to peter out. Most of his previous clubs were very happy at his appointment but disgruntled at the end of his tenure. How many of his teams did he leave on his own accord ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Agreed, McGhee didn't deserve a lot of the abuse he got but he does have a track record of starting out well with teams but then his success seems to peter out. Most of his previous clubs were very happy at his appointment but disgruntled at the end of his tenure. How many of his teams did he leave on his own accord ?

Two - Reading and Leicester

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have supported Albion for 35 years and McGheegate was the fans lowest point, I was ashamed to be an Albion fan the day McGhee was sacked. He was loyal to us , went on the Falmer marches, promoted the stadium bid, got us pomoted in his first season, kept us in the championship for 2 seasons and then sacked after 7 games 3 wins 1 draw and 3 defeats, 2 of the 3 defeats were losses by 1 goal away from home against the teams who finished 1st and 2nd.

We went down as he did not get the financial support from the board to keep us in the championship. He made a large profit on his buying and selling and got us
£ 1.5m by being friends with Strachan. When I criticise Wilkins I get the " give him time " something the same fans never afforded McGhee when he was building our campaign. Wilkins is doing well but I think we would be a lot higher in the league with a much better record if McGhee had been left to manage. McGhee is at the moment a far better manager than Wilkins.

Yes a shameful period for Albion fans.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
US, I am as much of a McGhee fan as you. However his time had come, the team had started to fall apart at the seams and the team spirit no existant. I was disappointed at the way he went, however looking back it was the right thing to do.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I disagree, we went down due to lack of investment in the squad nothing else. The final season we won the first 2 , was 20 seconds away from making it 3 out of 3, we were 3rd, we had 1 bad game, 1-4 at home to Crewe and even then we were 1-0 up until Mayo got sent off, we beat Boston in the cup and then had 2 defeats B City away 0-1 and Notts Forest away 1-2 who were outplayed. I believe if he had stayed we would have made the play offs last season , he would certainly have got us promoted to the championship again within 2 seasons.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
From today's Telegraph (headline "Motherwell add to Mark McGhee's CV")

Motherwell will not stand in Mark McGhee's way if the Scottish Football Association come calling for the Fir Park manager to succeed Alex McLeish as the man to steer Scotland through the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, the Telegraph understands.
Although the club's owner, John Boyle, jokingly said recently that the SFA should stay well clear of McGhee, he knows that the manager is attracting attention because of the team's unexpectedly good form.

Saturday's win over Hearts - who have now slumped to seventh place - put Motherwell clear in third place, three points in front of Hibernian and Dundee United and only two points behind Rangers. The win was Motherwell's fourth in succession and reflected the benefits of consistent selection.

In Motherwell's case, rotation or variation is not an option because of a limited first-team squad. "I've been asked quite a few times during the last few days how far the team can go and my answer has been that if this group of players stay fit and healthy, they can continue to get these sort of results," McGhee said.

"Our problem is that we only have 12 or 13 players who we can use and still maintain that standard of performance." By contrast, Hearts made five changes to the side that had drawn with Celtic the previous week, but the familiar rejigging of the Tynecastle team was not a hindrance during the first half. Hearts were the better side and deserved to be ahead from Andy Driver's volleyed strike.

In the dressing room, however, McGhee once again demonstrated his motivational powers. "I was critical of them at the interval," he said. "I questioned their belief in themselves and I thought they were intimidated by a good Hearts side in the first half. They didn't look to me as though they really believed they could beat Hearts, so I threw down the gauntlet to them.

"But I was really impressed by the way they responded and set about their business. The conditions were not good in the second half but the way we played was reassuring because we're in the middle of winter now and this is the time when sleeves have to be rolled up and players must work hard and run and chase."

Motherwell's reward came when Chris Porter headed a close-range equaliser and they went ahead when a Ross McCormack effort was turned across his own line by Marius Zaliukas. "It was a fantastic result," said McGhee."I thought the second-half performance was as good as we have produced. It wasn't silky at times but a different performance was required and the players answered all the questions I put to them at half-time."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The reason MM's time was up ( and I agree it was) was because DK, for whatever reason, chose not to back him with the cash required. The only time he did spend the cash was to buy Turienzo, allegedly over MM's head.

Lack of support from the board followed by lack of support from a noisy section of the crowd was the reason fro the downturn in the team's form imo. We all needed to pull together given our shit resources and facilities, once we stopped doing that the wheels fell off, because inevitably the quality of football suffered give the inferior team we had for the division, best players sold and not replaced.

Good luck MM, deserved MUCH better than he ultimately got from the board and fans here. The writing was on the wall when nigh on the whole youth team were signed up and nobody else.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Should've been given the chance to rebuild.

He deserved at least until the end of last season considering what he achieved and the loyalty he showed us.

The disrespect he was shown by the 'nosiy minority' was an embarrassment.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
US, I am as much of a McGhee fan as you. However his time had come, the team had started to fall apart at the seams and the team spirit no existant. I was disappointed at the way he went, however looking back it was the right thing to do.

I agree with that, except unlike you i was pleased to see him at the time, but now look back and think if only he was given more of a chance, because to be honest last season was SHIT, McGhee would have done a much better job than Wilkins, im sure of it!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I agree with that, except unlike you i was pleased to see him at the time, but now look back and think if only he was given more of a chance, because to be honest last season was SHIT, McGhee would have done a much better job than Wilkins, im sure of it!

Last season was terrible and im sure McGhee would have finished higher, however I think it was needed for Wilkins to learn the ropes. Wilkins has made a lot less tactical mistakes this season and seems to be doing very well.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Last season was terrible and im sure McGhee would have finished higher, however I think it was needed for Wilkins to learn the ropes. Wilkins has made a lot less tactical mistakes this season and seems to be doing very well.

Yeh i agree aswell, things are looking good now, and who knows where we'd be if we still had McGhee, but either way i still think it was bad the way the fans hated him so much and he Dick Knight was forced to sack him, he will always be a legend in my mind

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
For crying out loud, does it really matter now? The football was crap under McGhee as much as it has been under Wilkins, has everybody forgotten that?

We are seeing marginally better performances this season (so I'm led to believe), and I was in favour of seeing McGhee out because I had lost faith in his ability to get the best out of players. I don't agree with Wilkins appointment either, but I've voted with my feet and don't go now. To call McGhee's treatment 'shameful' and a 'low point in history' is farcical at very least. The mind clearly doesn't stretch back more than 10 years. Archer and Bellotti - that's shameful and farcical.

He's got a club to 3rd in Scotland - big deal. Everybody knows the SPL is much of a muchness outside Celtic and Rangers so what's the big deal? It could just as easily go wrong for the rest of the season.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For crying out loud, does it really matter now? The football was crap under McGhee as much as it has been under Wilkins, has everybody forgotten that?

We are seeing marginally better performances this season (so I'm led to believe), and I was in favour of seeing McGhee out because I had lost faith in his ability to get the best out of players. I don't agree with Wilkins appointment either, but I've voted with my feet and don't go now. To call McGhee's treatment 'shameful' and a 'low point in history' is farcical at very least. The mind clearly doesn't stretch back more than 10 years. Archer and Bellotti - that's shameful and farcical.

He's got a club to 3rd in Scotland - big deal. Everybody knows the SPL is much of a muchness outside Celtic and Rangers so what's the big deal? It could just as easily go wrong for the rest of the season.

Read the post again I said it was a shameful period in the fans history not people associated with the club do not muddy the water with incorrect statements

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Read the post again I said it was a shameful period in the fans history not people associated with the club do not muddy the water with incorrect statements

It's still farcical to call it shameful. The supporters did not stand up and call for his head at Withdean week after week. It was a few keyboard warriors getting excited over the internet.

If you are looking for a scapegoat, look at the people running the club. They made the decision, and they weren't under intense pressure from fans on matchdays to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here