Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Super Mark McGhee

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It's still farcical to call it shameful. The supporters did not stand up and call for his head at Withdean week after week. It was a few keyboard warriors getting excited over the internet.

If you are looking for a scapegoat, look at the people running the club. They made the decision, and they weren't under intense pressure from fans on matchdays to do so.

He was starting to get stick at games, Bristol City away springs to mind. What was surprising is how quickly the board reacted to some discontent with the manager.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He was starting to get stick at games, Bristol City away springs to mind. What was surprising is how quickly the board reacted to some discontent with the manager.
It wasn't that surprising given that he barely kept his job in the summer. There were brief signs of life at the start of the season but we soon fell back into old habits, ridiculous tactics and meek capitulations. I have never seen anything from Brighton fans like the reaction when he subbed off Revell for El-Abd when we were 3-1 down to Crewe, the end of that game was pretty grim too. The wholesale derision and calls for his head at Bristol were also unlike anything else I've experience following the Albion (I guess Barry Lloyd was the last time but that was before my time).

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
It wasn't that surprising given that he barely kept his job in the summer. There were brief signs of life at the start of the season but we soon fell back into old habits, ridiculous tactics and meek capitulations. I have never seen anything from Brighton fans like the reaction when he subbed off Revell for El-Abd when we were 3-1 down to Crewe, the end of that game was pretty grim too. The wholesale derision and calls for his head at Bristol were also unlike anything else I've experience following the Albion (I guess Barry Lloyd was the last time but that was before my time).

It was no where near what Lloyd got, will never forget going to Fulham in 1993 and Lloyd having to walk in front of the away terrace to get to the dressing rooms at half time and the entire stand screaming 'Barry, Barry, Barry, out, out, out', at him.

The Crewe games was a horror show, but the worst in many ways was the Stoke one. I know it was irrevelant by then, but his dismissive attitude to the result was not the way to keep people on side.

However I have never known a managers dismissal still divide fans, like McGhee's has.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
, but the worst in many ways was the Stoke one. I know it was irrevelant by then, but his dismissive attitude to the result was not the way to keep people on side.

Knight and the board got off very lightly there if I remember correctly. No contract talks for players or manager had been entered into and there was a power struggle going on in the boardroom?

Against this backdrop, a relegated team with no incentive and demotivated almost certainly by the doubts about their futures lost 5-0. Big f***ing deal was and is my reaction, but it was a great one to get your teeth into if you wanted McGhee out I agree. The game did not really matter however hard people try to say it did.

McGhee maybe should take some flak as should the players as should the board. But who got it? MM got 100% of the flak.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Knight and the board got off very lightly there if I remember correctly. No contract talks for players or manager had been entered into and there was a power struggle going on in the boardroom?

Against this backdrop, a relegated team with no incentive and demotivated almost certainly by the doubts about their futures lost 5-0. Big f***ing deal was and is my reaction, but it was a great one to get your teeth into if you wanted McGhee out I agree. The game did not really matter however hard people try to say it did.

McGhee maybe should take some flak as should the players as should the board. But who got it? MM got 100% of the flak.

I said it was an irrelevant game, but at the same point people had paid to go and yet post match his comments were not what you wanted to hear.

I agree he got caught in a power struggle, but I wonder if that power struggle kept him in the job for longer. Knight had to back him, so the Bloom's did not get their way, at the same time his lack of backing on team matters, suggests he did not want McGhee at the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. Knight had to back him, so the Bloom's did not get their way, at the same time his lack of backing on team matters, suggests he did not want McGhee at the club.

Who knows what went on , not me I accept but I'd suggest it was a stand by Knight that was always doomed to failure, as I feel he may have backed MM himself, but, he didn't hold the purse strings for an input of cash into the club. Eventually the Blooms had to win unless he found another investor..he didn't and MM was on his way.

I have a problem with the Blooms involvement from the Archer/Stanley days so my attitude is probably not unbiased towards them.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Who knows what went on , not me I accept but I'd suggest it was a stand by Knight that was always doomed to failure, as I feel he may have backed MM himself, but, he didn't hold the purse strings for an input of cash into the club. Eventually the Blooms had to win unless he found another investor..he didn't and MM was on his way.

I have a problem with the Blooms involvement from the Archer/Stanley days so my attitude is probably not unbiased towards them.

Regarding the Bloom's I do agree.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
according to virgin, strachan has also backed mcghee to be scotland manager

more shocking is that the news bulletin has not been followed by 'hey there delilah'

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

That's the way I looked at it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Blooms with some encouragement from the fans got McGhee sacked, I do not blame Knight as he stood by McGhee after the relegation and got the rug pulled out from underneath him, it was Bloom and a few hundred misguided and vocally loud Brighton " fans " who got him sacked. Knight just had the dirty task of sticking the knife in his back. It would have better for all concerned if he was sacked in the Summer if at all and the whole thing was a sorry mess.

The fact is McGhee has shoved it down the throats of the Brighton " fans " who drove him out, they wanted him to fall flat on his face and he is going from strength to strength.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Quite a few Alan, do you want me to bounce the threads ?.

Doing a fantastic job and bookies favourite to be the next Scotland manager , still he was not good enough to be manager of Brighton.

He wasn't Brighton's manager, or at least the BBC don't list us as one of the clubs he managed....all the others are there:

McGhee, who played for the Dons, Celtic, Hamburg and Newcastle, had previously managed Reading, Leicester, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Millwall before moving to Fir Park.

Brighton ignored by 'the media' shock!

The whole article is here if you can bothered....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/7136054.stm

F Everybody knows the SPL is much of a muchness outside Celtic and Rangers

I don't.

Taking Motherwell to third (and, more importantly, playing well), after several seasons of being amongst the worst in the division, beating the likes of Hearts, Aberdeen and Hibs (twice) on the way is really quite impressive.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Your not allowed to use the word " impressive " in the same sentance as " McGhee " have you learned nothing ?.

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
The Blooms with some encouragement from the fans got McGhee sacked, I do not blame Knight as he stood by McGhee after the relegation and got the rug pulled out from underneath him, it was Bloom and a few hundred misguided and vocally loud Brighton " fans " who got him sacked. Knight just had the dirty task of sticking the knife in his back. It would have better for all concerned if he was sacked in the Summer if at all and the whole thing was a sorry mess.

The fact is McGhee has shoved it down the throats of the Brighton " fans " who drove him out, they wanted him to fall flat on his face and he is going from strength to strength.

sorry but that is utter crap, I resent being called 'fan' because i think mgfuckwit had lost it.I am not misguided, I made my mind up on how the team played, how several players were puyblcally slated and by poor management comments about a game I payed money for (stoke). Please take your comnments back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here