Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Life

University of Brighton, BA in Music Production. Finishing my second year.

Bloody love it, even if I am one of the oldest on course (I'm 27). I left it quite a few years after collage before I wanted to do a degree.
I thought that I was too old to be moving half-way across the country to be living with 19 year olds, and there was no way on earth that I was going to miss the first season at the AMEX!!!!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Got my first degree in the early 90s, but recently finished a Masters whilst working full time.

Don't think you can't go back and part time Masters aren't that expensive. A number of my fellow graduates hadn't even got a first degree.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
Exeter 2002-2005.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
applied to go to manchester met this september and still wasnt 100% if it is the right choice but reading this has cheered me up a bit!

I did my first degree at Manchester University. You won't regret it.

Best years of my life.

However, had a cracking time at London University over the last few years. When you get to my age a "student discount", is something to behold.

maxnug

Jun 9, 2008
Manchester Met 2007-2011.
4 amazing years spent oop north.
Wouldn't change it for the world...wish I was still there now.

Nicked my catchphrase there!

Notts Trent 07-10. Best time of my life by far, and i've been travelling Australia ect for 4 months! Anyone thinking about it, just do it! Can't highly recommend uni life any higher. Amazing time non stop and have so many friends for life, who i see regularly 2 years since i've finished.

Wouldn't change it for the world! If i was told i could go back i would do it instantly.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
BSc Computer Science (2:1) from Sussex Uni 02-05.

Currently have worked on campus longer than I studied there so has diluted it a bit.

Pistol

Apr 14, 2011
Loughborough University of Technology - '89-'93.
Management Sciences BSc (Hons).
Loved it; great, if somewhat distant memories now. Too much beer, great friends, awesome sport and an education somewhere along the way ;-)

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Not a student but not looking forward to parting with £27000 large for my daughter(s), come £54000 large, to being students at Uni. Cant take it with u though!

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I am also in my third year of uni at Winchester, but the School of art! lovely times.

I'm sure at some point our paths must have crossed in either Porthouse or Bar31. Not the most lively student town but can't knock the 3 years I've had there, awesome time.

Old Greg

It's Choade My Dear
Feb 5, 2008
I'm sure at some point our paths must have crossed in either Porthouse or Bar31. Not the most lively student town but can't knock the 3 years I've had there, awesome time.

Always thought I knew everyone in winch lol. Ha don't forget pitcher or alfies! yeah i'd agree with that, wouldnt change a thing.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I've just finished my AS exams and I really don't know what I want to do after college next year. Obviously I want to go to uni in the UK and preferably away from home but several people have told me (including my brother who's an accountant) to really consider going to uni in the UK. In other words whether it is worth coming out with a degree which you may not even need and be riddled with debt which will take years to re-pay. I've considered going to France as I'm half French and fluent and my parents are thinking of perhaps moving to the South of France in the next couple of years (possibility of living with them). Obviously the fees are much much lower and there is the advantage of me being able to speak French. I visited Nice university last summer and it looked OK, but I wasn't that impressed. There's also the possibility of going to Holland where I've heard there are many English speaking courses available and more and more English are going out there. The only thing is that I find going abroad to study for 3 years quite daunting.

Is anyone else in the same position and can anyone give any added advice?

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
I've just finished my AS exams and I really don't know what I want to do after college next year. Obviously I want to go to uni in the UK and preferably away from home but several people have told me (including my brother who's an accountant) to really consider going to uni in the UK. In other words whether it is worth coming out with a degree which you may not even need and be riddled with debt which will take years to re-pay. I've considered going to France as I'm half French and fluent and my parents are thinking of perhaps moving to the South of France in the next couple of years (possibility of living with them). Obviously the fees are much much lower and there is the advantage of me being able to speak French. I visited Nice university last summer and it looked OK, but I wasn't that impressed. There's also the possibility of going to Holland where I've heard there are many English speaking courses available and more and more English are going out there. The only thing is that I find going abroad to study for 3 years quite daunting.

I can't give advice on studying abroad but I will say don't let the student debt worry you too much. Obviously it is a large sum of money but they couldn't make it any easier to pay back and the way it's designed doesn't make it so scary. Having a summer/winter job tides you over in terms of maintenance and obviously loans and bursaries help you out. It is a little daunting when the numbers get thrown at you but if you look at it and talk it through with someone at your college or a person at a university student union it might make you feel a bit better. Don't miss out because of a worry about finances, as you've seen in this thread it'll probably be the best years of your life.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

What do you want to study? I'm no expert but a law degree from the uni of Brussells Is probably not worth the same as a law degree from Cambridge? Isn't it horses for courses!

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I can't give advice on studying abroad but I will say don't let the student debt worry you too much. Obviously it is a large sum of money but they couldn't make it any easier to pay back and the way it's designed doesn't make it so scary. Having a summer/winter job tides you over in terms of maintenance and obviously loans and bursaries help you out. It is a little daunting when the numbers get thrown at you but if you look at it and talk it through with someone at your college or a person at a university student union it might make you feel a bit better. Don't miss out because of a worry about finances, as you've seen in this thread it'll probably be the best years of your life.

Thanks for the advice. They do sound like the best years of your life and I definitely don't want to miss out having read the things on here. Plus if I stay in the UK i'll be able to still see Brighton, an added bonus.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
What do you want to study? I'm no expert but a law degree from the uni of Brussells Is probably not worth the same as a law degree from Cambridge? Isn't it horses for courses!

I don't really know to be honest. I was thinking maybe some kind of teaching course and I asked at the Sussex open day whether a degree abroad in teaching is rated equally in the UK and they said it is. Although that's only an idea and I'd have to be really keen on teaching if I did a degree in it.

It took me the best part of 6 years before I knew what I wanted to study, or even go to uni.

I'm so glad that I waited, If I had gone off to study something in which I have no interest, I can safely say that I would not be anywhere near as happy as I am doing what I do now.

Now's a good chance to get some life under your belt, get a job, meet people, go traveling. I worked in pubs saved up money then went away. I gives you more grounding, maturity and worldliness. speaking from experience if your thinking your not sure/ready chances are you're not.

Tomo1794

Apr 7, 2009
Leighton Buzzard
I've applied to do International Tourism Management at Brighton Uni - Eastbourne campus starting in September. Absolutely buzzing to go having lived in a small town my whole life. Just got to get the grades now :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here