Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Life

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
UWE, it was f***ing awesome. smashed my way through gash for 3 years.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
How did you get into that?

they did a presentation at our uni and i took part in a group interview, got through that and got called back to liverpool for solo interview, then they offered me the job :)

i leave on 10th June, so stoked

Just finished my final year studying sports journalism at Southampton Solent Uni. Not the best uni in the world (by a long shot) but its been the best three years of my life and would turn back the clock three years and do it all again if I could!

As others have said try to make as many friends in freshers as possible. Found it hard at first myself due to my aspergers making me naturally shy, but my course meant that talking about our football teams was a great icebreaker - I even met a fellow NSC'er on the course.

I ended up living with people on my course, as I had more in common with them than my housemates, and its been brilliant. Also took up tennis which gave me another brilliant set of friends and a new hobby!

Have loved university, and would encourage anyone whose unsure about whether to go or not to at lest try it!

cw00

Mar 29, 2009
Manchester
applied to go to manchester met this september and still wasnt 100% if it is the right choice but reading this has cheered me up a bit!

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
From Brighton and just finished studying my first year at Brighton. A small part of me wishes I moved away somewhere, but my circumstances suited me better to stay at home, and I've still had a brilliant time.

If there's anyone in a predicament whereby they can't decide whether to study at Brighton/Sussex or move away, then the best advice I can give is just to REALLY weigh up your options. If you've already got it good then you can just enhance that GOODNESS.

I was lucky enough to be in a situation where I was already part of a couple of big friendship groups, had a (relatively) long-term girlfriend, a part-time job I could build around Uni work that was paying £450 a month, which, as a result, meant I could have a season ticket and do a number of away games. I still managed to get involved with plenty of people on my course and I've developed another friendship group through doing so. The best advice I can offer here is to throw yourself at it - I was confident, really friendly and used my local knowledge to help people out in freshers week which helped me to make friends.

Ultimately its all about what you do to make the most of the experience. I may not have had the most typical Uni lifestyle, but I still managed to have a fantastic year doing things that I love. I did some conventional first year Uni stuff (cheap nights out in the week, pre-drinking in halls, meeting new people), mixed with some stuff that I already loved doing (away days, spending time with my girlfriend, going out with my existing mates) which made for a great combo, and an extra positive was that my bank balance was always a lot more healthy than my Uni mates!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Went Southampton Solent 2003-2006 and it was bloody brilliant. Loved it and still regularly meet up with old Uni mates.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm at Manchester now and had the best 1st year of my life :)

Im working in Disneyworld this summer for 3 months in Florida then back for 2nd year

Is this one of those Mickey Mouse degrees?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
University of Sussex 2007 - 2011 - Bsc(Hons) Multimedia & Digital Systems

the coursework was hell and broke me but met some fantastic people along the way

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
would love to know the % that now work in jobs their degree is aimed for, and the % that owe the banks money from their interest based loans that paid for all the booze and pizza's?

Heh,heh.

Full grant and then an award from SSRC.No debt,no worries,and career based on degrees and awards.Course,I'm an old fellah now,and can only manage 6 - 8 pints of Harveys before kick off.Training is everything,no?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I went to Exeter from 2004-7, graduated with a BA (Hons) in History, and absolutely loved every minute of it. Then went to Cardiff and did a postgraduate diploma in Broadcast Journalism over the 2007-8 year, which I also loved.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Heh,heh.

Full grant and then an award from SSRC.No debt,no worries,and career based on degrees and awards.Course,I'm an old fellah now,and can only manage 6 - 8 pints of Harveys before kick off.Training is everything,no?

sounds like you did well, and that's tons of drink before a game - must be a green blur whilst needing a wee.

AgerBomb22

Jun 2, 2011
Chi Town/Burgess Hill
Current student, just finished my first year at Chichester.
I would say the best thing about being a student for me was meeting all the people around the campus during the year. Obviously moving away from home for the first time is a daunting prospect but once you meet people and get settled in you will have a great year and time at university.
As i live in Burgess Hill I did think about commuting down to Chichester but that would have meant missing out on the social life around the campus and halls. I’m very glad i chose to go and live down there!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Just finished year one at Sheffield Uni, course is a bit of a ball-ache at times (Law and Criminology), but met some cracking people and had the best year of my life.

Anyone in doubt just go for it, all my mates that didn't are regretting it.

Oh, and Times University of the Year, best Union running 3 or 4 years running...... Got to be Sheffield!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here