Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Life

Oct 25, 2003
I've applied to do International Tourism Management at Brighton Uni - Eastbourne campus starting in September. Absolutely buzzing to go having lived in a small town my whole life. Just got to get the grades now :)

will also be at the eastbourne campus but am definitely staying in brighton! really don't fancy living in eastbourne for 3 years

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just to reiterate, you can go back later. You don't have to give up work and in many ways it's much easier.

Not only have I done that but have met countless people who have.

I work with a few now who are doing degree in the evening part time and aren't paid stacks of money.

Hate the conveyor belt attitude to education in this country, GCSE > A LEVELS >UNIVERSITY. Bugger the first two doesn't mean the third.

Complete bollocks.

Plus later in life you will be an asset to those studying around you.

Lucky to study alongside people a lot older (and younger) me and it's a brilliant experience. All different backgrounds and experience but with a common purpose. Bit like following the Albion.

It isn't for everyone, but if you fancy it don't let anyone tell you isn't for you. It's for you to decide, not the system.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
applied to go to manchester met this september and still wasnt 100% if it is the right choice but reading this has cheered me up a bit!

Manchester is a great place to be a student. Some of us are still at Uni there 32 years after first arriving.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as I loathe the coalition, the student loan system is in effect a graduate tax. If you earn £25,000 a year the repayments work out at about £6 a week. If you don't earn a decent salary then the loan is eventually written off.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It took me the best part of 6 years before I knew what I wanted to study, or even go to uni.

I'm so glad that I waited, If I had gone off to study something in which I have no interest, I can safely say that I would not be anywhere near as happy as I am doing what I do now.

Now's a good chance to get some life under your belt, get a job, meet people, go traveling. I worked in pubs saved up money then went away. I gives you more grounding, maturity and worldliness. speaking from experience if your thinking your not sure/ready chances are you're not.

Exactly how I felt, but I did the complete opposite and went. In the end it all came down to finance, I'd have loved to go on a gap year and go travelling to work out what I wanted to do, but chances are I thought that i'd simply come back with no money and still no clue as to what I wanted to do. Add on to that the fact i'd have been paying 9k a year instead of £3600 a year in tuition fee's which i'm paying now. I don't have any real interest in half my course (Law and Criminology), at the moment I think i'd like to go into the police, as Law is of no real interest to me whatsoever, I'm not fitted out to be a lawyer and realise that. I opted for a course which would be well respected at a good university (Sheffield), and to be honest I dont really know anybody who loves their course (possibly 1 or 2 out of everyone i know at Uni) anyway, and this is after year one, let alone year 3.
If it's to do something that you require a degree for, or which will be very very difficult to attain without a degree, then go for it. If you're going just to spend 3 years delaying working and getting pissed all the time then its a financial decision, because you're likely to come out with a debt (with fee increase) of around £40k, it's great fun, but that's a lot of money to spend just to f*** around for three years when you add in loss of potential earnings in those 3 years.
I bet i'll get the comments "well you dont need a degree to do what you want to do in joining the police", and i'm fully aware of that, but if my mind changes which im sure it will, I feel i'll be in a better position than others applying for jobs. Thats the hope anyway.

Oh, and yes, it's been the best year of my life by a mile thus far.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
University of East London (Stratford campus) 1993-1997 Bsc Anatomy & Phyisiology 2:1

Main memories being >> parties, shagging, alcohol (copius amounts) and dull footy at Leyton Orient whilst stewarding (until the Albion came to town)
Ended up living in East London for another 5 years

Loved every minute i was there !!!!!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Gutted i never went to uni... Feel like i missed out a bit :(

I'd advise anyone to go and have fun... Not heard anyone regret it...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here