Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student Life

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My friend has just finished his first year at Manchester MET. He's done Ok, maybe failed a few exams but then most students do the first year. He said even though its putting him in a lot of debt, and even if he came out with nothing at the end of it, he wouldn't change it for the world. So far, it's been the best year of his life. And i've been up quite a few times, had some really messy, but quality nights and if I could go back in time I would have gone.

From having friends at a lot of Uni's, and from visiting a lot, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol and London seem to be the best. Quality night life and quality cities.

Manchester Met? What is he studying?

I was at Manchester 1980-83 BA in Economics and Social Science. Loved it, without doubt the best three years of my life. Would recommend as some others have done halls of residence in year one followed by two years of living with your new mates.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Lanchester Poly in Coventry I think for three years sort of 70-73,then Manchester Uni for MA and teaching cert.

My memory of it was wiped clean by a torrent of poor bitter ales but I've been told I really enjoyed it.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm at Portsmouth. I regret not moving out, but i don't regret living in Brighton still.

I'm doing Forensic Computing and i've just finished my first year.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Cream was still the '051' club when I started. The most memorable match at Anfield was the Albion's 2-2 draw in the FA cup! Used to go and watch Everton a bit.

The people are great. My advice to anybody who starts out as a student in a new town, is to try to broaden your circle of freinds outside of just other students. One of the first things I did when I started at Liverpool, was to go and join the cricket club round the corner. My team-mates there were brilliant, and within a couple of weeks of arriving I had three circles of friends (course / halls / local cricket mates). I'd recommend that to anyone - go and join a local Sunday football team or something.

Sound advice. I met a guy who was born and bred in Rock Ferry (Tranmere) and got in with his mates as well. Definitely better having circles of friends outside just the Uni itself.

The 051 club was in a different place from Cream. That was still there when I left over the road from the Adelphi. When I arrived in 1991 there was a warehouse called the Academy off the back of Bold Street somehwere. It then became Nation I think and Cream was in the annex. It went mental and completely took over. To this day when I hear the song No Limits by 2Unlimited I think of two things. That club and Kurt Nogan.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sound advice. I met a guy who was born and bred in Rock Ferry (Tranmere) and got in with his mates as well. Definitely better having circles of friends outside just the Uni itself.

The 051 club was in a different place from Cream. That was still there when I left over the road from the Adelphi. When I arrived in 1991 there was a warehouse called the Academy off the back of Bold Street somehwere. It then became Nation I think and Cream was in the annex. It went mental and completely took over. To this day when I hear the song No Limits by 2Unlimited I think of two things. That club and Kurt Nogan.

I'll defer to you, as that wasn't my scene at all. I thought Cream held their eraly nights in that 051 place - as you say - by the Adelphi. Most of our nights out were 'local pub > town centre pub > The Haigh > Mardi Gras'

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
York Uni 2002 - 2006

Best 4 years of my life, you MUST move away from home to get the most out of the uni experience.

Good lad :thumbsup:

i'm a current fresher at York Uni

Its great so far, but im only in my 3rd term so still have two whole years left to make the most of it :lolol:

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
Currently a fresher at Kent, and seriously it's the best experience ever!!
Yes the work can be hard ( I should be revising right now) , but the whole experience is amazing!!!

Cheap nights out, if you are single it's great (although I met my girlfriend here!!!)
Meet so many people from everywhere, and everyone is in the same boat as it really nice!!

Definitely having the best time ever, can't wait to move into my house next year with 2 best mates.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Wouldn't take the attitude that if you come out of it with nothing its okay. And failing first year isn't a good sign. You only need 40 percent.
But it is a good laugh.

By fail I meant he got his 40%, but just...

Manchester Met? What is he studying?

I was at Manchester 1980-83 BA in Economics and Social Science. Loved it, without doubt the best three years of my life. Would recommend as some others have done halls of residence in year one followed by two years of living with your new mates.

He's doing international politics I believe. Yeah he has just moved out of halls, had some seriously messy times in them. This year he's moving into a 9 bedroom house full of lads...going to be messy.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
either Lancaster, Hull or YSJ. Lets hope its one of the first two :thumbsup:

I don't remember any real rivalry with Hull or YSJ (other then trying to look down on them!) I assume you are familiar with the the Roses weekend in May? That's when the Lancaster thing really comes to light.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Reading 1984 - 87, Computer Science. The town itself was a bit of a dump but that didn't matter at all. The whole time was a great experience where I made some long-lasting friendships. Managed to live in hall for 1st and 3rd years, though I'm guessing that as the place has tripled in size since I left it's not possible to do that any more.

When I was a kid my dad always used to tell me to make the most of being at school as they are 'the best days of your life'. He was wrong, it was university.

Eldest daughter went to first open day last weekend (Chester) and is looking forward to her turn.

JAWard_91

Mar 6, 2012
went to newcastle, started in 2006....dropped out after the 2nd year which i now regret

going to brighton uni this year though to do sports journalism

on the Eastbourne campus by chance?

I'll be third year by the time you start in September. Good luck with shorthand, it may ruin your social life. :thumbsup:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Aberystwyth University BSc
Royal Holloway (and Bedford New Collage (as it was then) MSc
Manchester University PhD

All Geological/Petroleum Geology related.

Very very good memories of all three.

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Currently at Sunderland uni but hand my last assessment in on Friday and leave this Summer.

I live at home and make the hour or so journey in every day. My regret is not moving down the country somewhere and attending somewhere else if I'm honest, think I'd have met more people, picked up more 'life skills' and had a better time. I don't feel as though I've really lived the true experience of university.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here