Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strong words at the Turner prize last night

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Shame no-one ever seems to ask the kids what they want.

In an oddly prescient way thay have. Yesterday the consultants "McKinseys" published data that did just that.

It found that most teachers (61%) believed that their skills were above average and equipped their students well for the world of work whereas the majority of students did not (60%).

It described teachers as living "in a parallel universe" where they overestimate their own abilities and those of their pupils.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
In an oddly prescient way thay have. Yesterday the consultants "McKinseys" published data that did just that.

It found that most teachers (61%) believed that their skills were above average and equipped their students well for the world of work whereas the majority of students did not (60%).

It described teachers as living "in a parallel universe" where they overestimate their own abilities and those of their pupils.

That snapshot makes the report sound like a crock. I'd imagine that it was a lot more balanced than that. Do you have a link to it?

Teaching standards and the quality of the infrastructure inside schools have improved dramatically in the last 20 years. The biggest mistake made was the culture of 'league tables' (but not measurement in itself.) Teachers today provide a fantastic education for our children, and the experience our children have been getting at school has been streets ahead of what I went through.

Sadly, I see a lot of that being undone. I just hope that some of the £1billion that Cameron has identified for capital infrastructure programmes inside schools will be aimed at programmes of education as well as new facilities. I fear not and hope very much it's not a smokescreen. We'll see.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
In my opinion it doesn't matter how good the teaching is. With the price of university tuition fees as they now are it's going to be very difficult to keep up the rate of students going into higher education..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
yes i do.

Don't suppose it makes much difference to the uncultured. Would have thought you would have been furious seeing as his plans are going to put thousands of British workers on the scrapheap but then I don't suppose you thought that much into it.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
In my opinion it doesn't matter how good the teaching is. With the price of university tuition fees as they now are it's going to be very difficult to keep up the rate of students going into higher education..

Not necessarily a bad thing in the grand scheme of things. More people going into vocational careers is exactly what this country needs.

I'm not saying it's the right way to go about things, but peversely, it may the right effect

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Don't suppose it makes much difference to the uncultured. Would have thought you would have been furious seeing as his plans are going to put thousands of British workers on the scrapheap but then I don't suppose you thought that much into it.
Uncultured ?? Thats rich coming from someone whose best acting job to date has been dressing up in a giant chicken suit for a supermarket promotion :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Uncultured ?? Thats rich coming from someone whose best acting job to date has been dressing up in a giant chicken suit for a supermarket promotion :lolol:

When did I do that? Can you list the acting I've done? No you cannot because funnily enough I don't get credited as Nibble on films you dolt. Even if that's all I had ever done, I'd prefer that was my life than living in a shit-hole, hating the people around me and being a racist dullard, such as yourself. Better not upset you too much though as I don't want you turning up on my doorstep. Idiot.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
When did I do that? Can you list the acting I've done? No you cannot because funnily enough I don't get credited as Nibble on films you dolt. Even if that's all I had ever done, I'd prefer that was my life than living in a shit-hole, hating the people around me and being a racist dullard, such as yourself. Better not upset you too much though as I don't want you turning up on my doorstep. Idiot.
Anyone would think i'd touched a nerve :lolol:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Anyone would think i'd touched a nerve :lolol:

Not really Bushy, just find it rather dull that for four years you have trotted out the acting thing because you're too thick to come out with a coherant argument. I don't mind the odd jibe, in my profession I expect it, especially from people like you but over and over again from a luddite like you who acts like they are in a playground, offering people out and stalking them to their homes it's a bit much. You are consistent I'll give you that.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not really Bushy, just find it rather dull that for four years you have trotted out the acting thing because you're too thick to come out with a coherant argument. I don't mind the odd jibe, in my profession I expect it, especially from people like you but over and over again from a luddite like you who acts like they are in a playground, offering people out and stalking them to their homes it's a bit much. You are consistent I'll give you that.
You're profession hahaha , which profession , the office cleaning you do to supplement your income while "resting" :lolol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're profession hahaha , which profession , the office cleaning you do to supplement your income while "resting" :lolol:

And to think you get a bit precious when someone makes a personal comment to you.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And to think you get a bit precious when someone makes a personal comment to you.
Thats not a personal comment at all , certainly not in the vein of " did you get blown up and have a brain injury in northern ireland" type ones you've spouted in the past , or referring to someones dad as a " weasel " , nibble is always on here referring to his " acting " , I'm just giving him a reality check thats all.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thats not a personal comment at all , certainly not in the vein of " did you get blown up and have a brain injury in northern ireland" type ones you've spouted in the past , or referring to someones dad as a " weasel " , nibble is always on here referring to his " acting " , I'm just giving him a reality check thats all.

I regret and apologised for my NI comment. And for the record I enquired if you had a brain injury, I did not wish one on you. I stand by the weasel comment though. I have never threatened violence though.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I regret and apologised for my NI comment. And for the record I enquired if you had a brain injury, I did not wish one on you. I stand by the weasel comment though. I have never threatened violence though.
Thats the nub of the problem , people say things on the internet that they wouldnt dream of saying face to face, I'd probably have a quiet chuckle to myself at nibbles delusions of grandeur regarding his, snigger, "profession", and i very much doubt you'd call someones dad a "weasel" to his face , certainly not without at least expecting an argument at best or a right hander at worst.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bushy, the ex squaddie who couldn't hack it in Ireland so quit and moved into a shithole, growing more and more bitter and racist and bigoted has the stones to take the piss out of what someone did for extra cash 5 years ago. I suggest you wind your neck in and go and look for some work, this idle time you have is rotting what little brains the army didn't knock out of you son.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thats the nub of the problem , people say things on the internet that they wouldnt dream of saying face to face, I'd probably have a quiet chuckle to myself at nibbles delusions of grandeur regarding his, snigger, "profession", and i very much doubt you'd call someones dad a "weasel" to his face , certainly not without at least expecting an argument at best or a right hander at worst.

Bushy, you are the only person, including me that ever mentions my acting in the last 4 years. Grow up, get laid, eat a decent meal and get some sleep.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
and i very much doubt you'd call someones dad a "weasel" to his face , certainly not without at least expecting an argument at best or a right hander at worst.

In context I would not have a single problem using the term weasel to anyone's face if this word best describes the person's antics which in the case you are referring to did. What's the big deal? Put calmly and in the correct context I would not expect an issue. And if an issue did arise then it would say much more about the other person than me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

I didn't know nibble was an actor. And what do you do bushy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here