Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
With various comments in the press from Gus and a summer of speculation on here about ‘the big target man’ to complement our current strike force it seems most are in agreement that a lot hinges on us signing another striker.

Personally, I think too much is being made of the issue and am perfectly happy with our forward options, saying that I certainly wouldn’t be unhappy if we added to our frontline should the right player become available but I think rushing out to buy a player of this type, especially when Poyet’s record of signing strikers has left a little to be desired, isn’t a huge priority for us.

Anyone agree of am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid. Badly need one. Just look at the number of goals we scored last season especially away from home, 16 all season.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
desperate for one, dont get one, top 12 finish, get one and we could just go all the way.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm halfway between the two opinions. I'd rather we did get a new one in (IF they are a cut above CMS, Barnes, Hoskins etc) but not anything like as worried as some on here if we don't get one.

We've still improved the team massively all-round, which WILL lead to more goals, with or without a new striker.

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
We need one.

-We need a 'Plan B' for when teams press us high up the pitch and get on top of us, a target to hit and one that will hold the ball up as apposed to it coming straight back at us.
-We need a central striker with a decent first touch and the ability to bring the likes of Vicente, Crofts, Lua Lua, Buckley into the game in dangerous areas of the pitch. I love CMS as much as the next man but i'm afraid his touch and general technique aren't really up to it. Hard work and endevaour will win fans over but not necessarily football matches at this level.
-We need strength in depth and cover up front. As Gus said last night all we had on the bench as a striking option was Toby. He may turn out to be a prolific goalscorer for us at some stage in the future but i'm not sure he's for now. Beyond that we only have Barnes, CMS and an injury riddled Hoskins. I know Gus has tried Vicente as the central one of the attacking three but I wouldn't want this to become his main position. You'd lose so much of his creativity from the middle of the park by playing him up top.

Just my opinions, but I really think we need another striker to be properly competitive over the whole season.

KRJ7

Jun 1, 2012
And i heard last night that its going to be Glenn Murray . Finances just being sorted !

This would make perfect sense but i doubt it would happen..

GOOD POINTS:
1 - He knows our style of play
2 - He would fit straight in
3 - He is a very talented footballer
4 - Would score goals
5 - Would not cost a lot

BAD POINTS:
1 - He is a miserable twat
2 - May unsettle the team
3 - He can't even get in a poor palace team?

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
This would make perfect sense but i doubt it would happen..

GOOD POINTS:
1 - He knows our style of play
2 - He would fit straight in
3 - He is a very talented footballer
4 - Would score goals
5 - Would not cost a lot

BAD POINTS:
1 - He is a miserable twat
2 - May unsettle the team
3 - He can't even get in a poor palace team?

When you say 'doubt this would happen'..... its only finances to be sorted ... Watch this space !

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure @ees-complicated-no (or however his username is written) knows who our new striker is going to be, and he called Crofty right so he's got recent good form. He suggested in an earlier post that the player we were looking at is black, anyone know if he's given us any more info anywhere?

I'd be happy with Murray back, I think- but what would it mean for CMS? They're pretty similar, but CMS is better imo.

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I'm pretty sure @ees-complicated-no (or however his username is written) knows who our new striker is going to be, and he called Crofty right so he's got recent good form. He suggested in an earlier post that the player we were looking at is black, anyone know if he's given us any more info anywhere?

I'd be happy with Murray back, I think- but what would it mean for CMS? They're pretty similar, but CMS is better imo.

Pretty Similar? Really?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

Murray and CMS are two totally different players!

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Sorry, should have been clearer- I don't mean they play similarly, but that they both make good "main strikers". Of course their styles of play couldn't be more different. I can't imagine either being content with their job being to create chances for the other though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5085855 said:
I think that Murray and CMS would compliment each other perfectly. Those two upfront would be a fantastic pairing. Can't see it happening though

That is my view plus we would gain from GM when defending set pieces as he won a lot of headers in defence when we were at Withdean.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I posted this in the other thread:

I'm not that fussed if we don't get a striker now. I think it would help, but only if we got someone properly decent. If we've missed out on all the good targets I'd rather we saved the money until a player worth having becomes available rather than wasting wages on average/shite players like vokes, lukaku, paynter or harley.

And before anyone else pulls me up on it, yes I do think Lukaku is an average, slow lump who will never do anything of note in football.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
11th to 7th without a new striker

2nd to 6th with one

This is based on Bridge also getting games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here