Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still think we’re safe?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
No, they aren't. That and similar posts are opinions stated as facts. It's a fact that Norwich are down. It's a fact that nobody else is yet down. It's a fact that we are not yet safe. It really is perfectly simple.

Would you prefer that 3 out of 4 teams below us need to get above us? Just can’t see it happening if we get 0 points, and I don’t think we get 0 points

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well suggest they never do it then. Looked propper half hearted cringe to me and certainly doesn’t seem to spur the team to away victories based in the last 3 seasons evidence.

They play it after every away win, not before the game.

It's meant to be celebratory, not motivational.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You mean how have we managed to be 5 pt ahead of the relegation zone, considering the awful run of games we had?
I don't know. Maybe because we have a great squad of well prepared players and a manager who know what he's doing....

How do you think it came to this?

Without being overly harsh, as I love GP's brand of football. I still find him naieve at times. A bit of Hughtons dour pragmatism would be great when the occasion suits.

Last night with changes to our 11, it was probably more than a 10/1 shot we'd ever beat Man City, It was huge odds on we wouldnt win.

Hindsight is wonderful! But I would have accepted we were not going to win before the game, set up to try and stop them playing in hope of either nicking a point or at least setting the main objective of the evening was to stop a thrashing and protect the GD that gave us the extra point. We sent them out to play, and we got thrashed. Defeat isnt the problem, or not winning any points, its that we lost the effective extra point we had over West Ham.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well suggest they never do it then. Looked propper half hearted cringe to me and certainly doesn’t seem to spur the team to away victories based in the last 3 seasons evidence.

It’s not for your benefit..it’s for them if you hadn’t noticed..it’s celebrating...geez you are coming across as more of a grumpy old git than me :facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Without being overly harsh, as I love GP's brand of football. I still find him naieve at times. A bit of Hughtons dour pragmatism would be great when the occasion suits.

Last night with changes to our 11, it was probably more than a 10/1 shot we'd ever beat Man City, It was huge odds on we wouldnt win.

Hindsight is wonderful! But I would have accepted we were not going to win before the game, set up to try and stop them playing in hope of either nicking a point or at least setting the main objective of the evening was to stop a thrashing and protect the GD that gave us the extra point. We sent them out to play, and we got thrashed. Defeat isnt the problem, or not winning any points, its that we lost the effective extra point we had over West Ham.

Do you not think that the not so far away draws at Sheffield Utd and Wolves...together with the second half at Leicester were more like dour pragmatism ...GP’S first season in the PL and only second in English football....I think he’s learning

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
You mean how have we managed to be 5 pt ahead of the relegation zone, considering the awful run of games we had?
I don't know. Maybe because we have a great squad of well prepared players and a manager who know what he's doing....

How do you think it came to this?

The posession playing style is good and enjoyable to watch but you have to remember we had a brilliant day out at Wembley for the FA Cup semi-final under CH last year. We took our eye off the ball, lost all confidence and the season nearly ended in disaster.

I'd say we're exactly where we were last year with the team. Just frustrated with an awful weekend of results and a lack of sleep. I don't usually get rattled. As I say, we'll be a Premier League side for another term but our season ended in January - or so we thought........

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'd take 17th place now - and even though I don't feel confident that we'll get any more points this season I'd be surprised if Villa or B'mth got another couple of wins each. Like last season we'll stay up because of the failure of others.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We're doomed.

The first dominoes have fallen.

This time next year our new Oil Sheik owners will have sold the Amex and Lewis Dunk to Palace in a part exchange for Selhurst Park. "League One Ready" will be our mantra.

Palace will have painted the Amex roof blue and red and culled all the seagulls in the local area and released a flock of Eagles who will breed like wildfire and begin a reign of terror over the population of Brighton and Hove.

Today was just the begining.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
All that Sweet Caroline garbage at Carrow Road and the happy clappers proclaiming Potter had proven his worth now looking a bit silly. Potterball looking more of a disaster game by game and give away goal by goal.

This is going to the wire and we could very easily go winless based on pre lockdown evidence.

That winless run pre lockdown where we draw 4 and lost unfortunately to Palace 1-0 in the last 5 games, therefore in the last 10 games with won 2 drawn 4 lost 4 equaling a point a game. Do that and we’re safe.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
At the restart I think most would’ve ranked our fixtures in difficulty as follows:

Liverpool
City
Utd
Leicester
Arsenal
Southampton
Burnley
Newcastle
Norwich

We’ve got the 5 hardest games out of the way, 3 of which we never had a realistic chance of a point in, and have still managed to extend the gap to 5 points with 3 of the 4 fixtures to play that are most likely to yield points. If Villa and Muff had our fixtures we’d be certain they’d get at least 2 wins, yet we won’t even back ourselves to get 1 win.

I’m confident that we’ll pick up another 4 points, and I wouldn’t bet against 36 points being enough anyway (and Sporting Index agrees with me).

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I think that's a very good point. In effect, West Ham have gained four points on us this weekend. It would have been much better if we'd just parked the bus and tried to break them up in midfield, and have the occasional counter attack. Yes, we would still almost certainly have lost, but not by 5-0. Ridiculous naivity on Potter's part, really - especially at this stage of the season.

Interesting that people are also saying 'If Villa lose their next game, they can't catch us'. Although this is in all probability true, because of the battering our goal difference has taken recently it's not necessarily a foregone conclusion. We are on -16. If we lost our final three games, one of them heavily, we could easily end up with a GD of -22 or something similar. Villa are on -26. If they lost 1-0 to Everton, then won 2-0 and 3--0 it would put them level. Unlikely, but not absolutely impossible.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Looking at the table, just imagine if we had lost to Arsenal.

We'd be 17th, with only 2 points on Bournemouth and 3 points on Villa with 3 games to go. :eek:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Looking at the table, just imagine if we had lost to Arsenal.

We'd be 17th, with only 2 points on Bournemouth and 3 points on Villa with 3 games to go. :eek:

The same position as we were in before the restart. And we’d probably have taken it as well given that we’ve got our 5 hardest fixtures on paper out of the way.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Must confess to a twinge of anxiety as both Villa and B'muff win the first of the 3 out of 4 they need to cause us a problem. However, winning three out of four for either of them still remains unlikely; both of them even more so.
Yes, I will be relieved when we are finally mathematically clear of 18th. place - but unduly concerned? No, not really.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
All that Sweet Caroline garbage at Carrow Road and the happy clappers proclaiming Potter had proven his worth now looking a bit silly. Potterball looking more of a disaster game by game and give away goal by goal.

This is going to the wire and we could very easily go winless based on pre lockdown evidence.

You are aware sweet Caroline is a dressing room tradition going back a few years now after every win?! You seem very, very negative and hard to please. It would take an incredibly freakish run of results now to send us down. Since Carrow Road we’ve played the best team in the world and played fantastically - we then got a hammering with a tinkered team against another of the best teams in the world with £50 mil+ players in every position! What did you expect and why slate those who rightly praised Potter for the job he’s done...?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Must confess to a twinge of anxiety as both Villa and B'muff win the first of the 3 out of 4 they need to cause us a problem. However, winning three out of four for either of them still remains unlikely; both of them even more so.

Both of them don't have to.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
its squeaky bum time now

Your bum may be squeaking Sir.

It might very well be chirping like a caged canary knowing it’s about to be taken to a gas filled cave to meet it’s end.

It could be, like Richard Gere, that you’ve undertaken a cruel and wretched practice involving rubber tubing whilst your invader pokes his distressed little head out and squeals his lament to any passing rodent who’ll listen.

But this sort of squeaking is of no comparison.

If you were to navigate the rear crevasse of a certain Mr Howe, you would hear a squeaking so incredibly loud, so ear shatteringly penetrable that it would be as if you’d just witnessed a group jump of a thousand lemmings all screaming forth their demise in unison.

But wait, if you were to roll over a sleeping Mr Grealish and cup your ear to his lower blow hole, the squeak your ears would behold would be louder than the wail of a thousand Roland-The-Rats being entered posteriorly for the first time by their evil puppet master overlords with out so mush as a dash of butter.

Imagine that if you will.

Perspective dear boy. Perspective.

Everything will be just dandy.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One more bit of positivity: Looking at the remaining fixtures of all 4 teams below us, I wouldn’t swap our 3 fixtures for any of them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here