Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I find the whole statue thing really interesting

Are there any modern day britons worthy of such reverence as to have a monument to them??

I doubt it.

Last edited:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

ben andrews' girlfriend said:
I suppose you should be there for being such a c.unt

Who asked you ugly? :lolol:

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

dave the gaffer said:
thats my girl...you tell the twat

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

And you can f***-off you northern wanker! :angry:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Voroshilov said:
The statues are of Sir Henry Havelock famous for the relief of Lucknow during the Indian mutiny and Sir Charles Napier who conquered Sind (also in India).

And haven't both of these now got pubs in Brighton named after them? Havelock has certainly got Havelock Road named after him, anyway.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

3gulls said:
Who asked you ugly? :lolol:

By abusing a person with a physical disability - you did, sunshine. From doing research, the disabilities that she has could have easily been the ones that i could have had.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

By abusing a person with a physical disability - you did, sunshine. From doing research, the disabilities that she has could have easily been the ones that i could have had.

Pardon? You can get those disabilities from doing research?

Or did you mean that you have researched the drugs that your mother was given during childbirth, and that there was an increased chance that you could have suffered from the same disabilities as her?

Still a bit of a tenuous link though, along the lines of "If we had left the house ten minutes earlier, we could have been involved in that accident...."

But I know what you mean. She should not be abused purely because she is disabled, but she should not be recognised purely for the same reason when it excludes people who have achieved as much without the same level of type of disability. Outstanding achievement should be recognised without politicising it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
clapham_gull said:
She's not referring to Nelson Column.

She's referring to the other statues in the corners of the square.

I beg to differ. She referred to ALL of the statues in the square. As the BBC report immediately preceded her "slayer" comment with a close-up view of Nelson's Column her words came across with added bite.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

HampshireSeagulls said:
Pardon? You can get those disabilities from doing research?

Or did you mean that you have researched the drugs that your mother was given during childbirth, and that there was an increased chance that you could have suffered from the same disabilities as her?

Still a bit of a tenuous link though, along the lines of "If we had left the house ten minutes earlier, we could have been involved in that accident...."

But I know what you mean. She should not be abused purely because she is disabled, but she should not be recognised purely for the same reason when it excludes people who have achieved as much without the same level of type of disability. Outstanding achievement should be recognised without politicising it.

No i was born without a lot of my fingers and toes - and ive done research into it and found out that people have lost their arms/legs through the condition. It may be a "tenous link" to you, but for me it is very real, so i do get offended if people like 3gulls say anything about her being a spastic or whatever.

I dont think it does "exclude people" who have done the same - however with her disability, it is amazing that she has acheived all this - and im not meaning it in a demeaning sense.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Although the woman has overcome immense hardship I don't see what reason there is to put a statue of her in the most prominent square in England, hitherto a monument to our historic past. Her story, however interesting, has not affected our nation in any great way.

If you wanted to highlight human suffering and the triumph of the human spirit then a statue of Simon Weston, the burns victim and Falklands veteran, would have been more appropriate.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

No i was born without a lot of my fingers and toes - and ive done research into it and found out that people have lost their arms/legs through the condition. It may be a "tenous link" to you, but for me it is very real, so i do get offended if people like 3gulls say anything about her being a spastic or whatever.

I dont think it does "exclude people" who have done the same - however with her disability, it is amazing that she has acheived all this - and im not meaning it in a demeaning sense.

Just me being facetious. I don't think he called her a spastic, and to be fair there is actually an element of freakishness involved here, which is one of the reasons that she has been chosen as the model. Someone as dramatically malformed as her invites public attention in the same way as a freak show invites attention. However, having had a check on her, she has used the public attention to make her situation better and to draw their attention to other issues. I think the artist's soundbite was a little silly, and her comment was probably taken out of context. There is no doubt that she has done well, but would a statue of a dwarf, Downs' Syndrome person, or someone equally as disadvantaged have been as well received? She is articulate and ultimately quite presentable, hardly a drooling fool.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

My comments were prompted by the silly cow's attack on our great nation's heros. What has she done for our nation to be in such company? :angry:

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Statue of disabled pregnant woman in Trafalgar Square...

3gulls said:
My comments were prompted by the silly cow's attack on our great nation's heros. What has she done for our nation to be in such company? :angry:

f*** off were you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely the ultimate irony here is that Nelson himself had only one arm and one eye? Physically challenged AND a national hero!...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Pavilionaire said:
Although the woman has overcome immense hardship I don't see what reason there is to put a statue of her in the most prominent square in England, hitherto a monument to our historic past. Her story, however interesting, has not affected our nation in any great way.

If you wanted to highlight human suffering and the triumph of the human spirit then a statue of Simon Weston, the burns victim and Falklands veteran, would have been more appropriate.

But why must everything stay the same? It's not the 19th century any more. Trafalgar Square is not seen as a monument to our military victories. It's a place where drunks get wet, tourists take photos of themselves next to statues of people they don't know. Why not have something that means something to people now rather than wallowing in a past bathed in blood?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

3gulls said:
And you can f***-off you northern wanker! :angry:

so can you you soft southern shandy drinking poof

:clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's important that the main square in England carries a permanent reminder to the people of how their freedom has been obtained. People take freedom for granted, but it wasn't always so.

I take the point that there needs to be some change, but all of the modern day national heroes tend to be sporting icons, and their statues belong in / around sporting arena.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004

dave the gaffer said:
so can you you soft southern shandy drinking poof

:clap2:

So piss of back to the flat caps and pidgeons, if you don't like southerners. Second thoughts, if all the northern women are as ugly as BAG, no wonder you came down here! :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here