Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stadium shock

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
ale can be sold as cask conditioned (where a bit of the residue/yeast from the brewing process remains in the cask and the beer conditions) or can be bright (which has been poured from a cask and placed into a container and the residue is not present - the beer will not improve any further).

In essence, Bright beer is easier to store and transport because you dont have to lay the cask down to settle (ensuring the reside remains in the cask and not in the pint that is served). It means ale can be transferred in and out of a venue the same day. For the suppliers it means they can use it elsewhere.

The disadvantage of bright is that once it's put into the container it has a limited shelf life whereas cask conditioned can be stored for far longer.

These days you will also find that bottled ales can sometimes come as bottle conditioned which means that the residue is also present in the bottle and the beer continues to prove.

... and of course as ROSM knows from experience, you can move a container of bright beer, however if you move or shake a conatiner of cask conditioned beer it renders it undrinkable for 24 hours until it re-settles!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:lolol: no beard, dont say mein host, or indeed sidle up to some barmaid saying 'my problem is my wife understands me'.

I've also not vomitted up all over a pub, picked a fight with a group of innocent passers by or urinated on a war memorial.

These generalisations can be such fun :p

I drink real ale from Belgiums through to British and could I say that I have done all those things that ROSM has pointed out.............................

and on more than one occasion.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
... and of course as ROSM knows from experience, you can move a container of bright beer, however if you move or shake a conatiner of cask conditioned beer it renders it undrinkable for 24 hours until it re-settles!

Indeed - it is very important to know which animal you're dealing with (a sign above it would always help) so as to avoid any unfortunate accidents that may (or may not) be caused by a complete arse up from a drinker.
:facepalm::nono:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I don't care about the type of lager or ale they have, but if they don't have a selection of quality ciders, I'll EXPLODE with rage etc. Literally.

:shrug:

Papa

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry to piss on the fireworks n all that, but.......

Why would anyone, except those with kids in tow, choose to drink at Falmer?

It will be a crap, corporate choince of drinks.

It will be overpriced.

Full of children.

Singing will be monitored, if not frowned upon. (No naughty words etc., and repeat offenders lose season tickets/banned? Just guessing.)

Sorry but most pre match drinking will be elsewhere for me.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I am expecting a supporters bar when I can get to the stadium early - meet up with friends have a few decent pints and something to eat. Then a pint after the match - watching the results come in while the crowds clear.

I have always understood that is in the plans.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
it's all about the BUNCE over here isn't it, rather than actually providing a decent service

spending as little as possible and charging as much as possible

f***ing GORDON BROWN
He only got the idea from Maggie.:thumbsup:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
There are huge numbers of great eating and drinking opportunities within easy walking distance of Brighton or Lewes stations. The train journey from either is a matter of a few minutes, and the club have conveniently located the stadium just a stone's throw from Falmer station. I can't imagine what there is to complain about! I could understand if we were contemplating the Madejski Stadium or the Ricoh Arena, which are both appallingly located in the middle of nowhere with no decent public transport.

Can we please leave the whingeing until we've got something worth complaining about?!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
This all sounds so wonderful.

I am sitting here 3000 miles away with this thread open in one tab, and British Airways open in another, and a third with a Google map of local banks here where I might -- ahem -- 'withdraw' enough money to get over to Falmer for the opening.

(On mature reflection, I think the weekly lottery ticket is a better long-term plan than the bank job.)

Someone stand me a pint when I finally get there.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
I'm smuggling in a litre of vodka to every game. Then when I've downed it I'm gonna throw it at the top boys in the away end before leading the charge into them

Nawty like

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here