Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stadium shock

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I still think they should let Grubbs Burgers in somewhere. A double veggie garlic burger, washed down with Goldstone Beer ..... mmmmmmmmarvellous scenes.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Grubbs would be nice, but they're nice because they're freshly cooked to order.
That ain't gonna happen on a concourse with FASANDS of people queuing up wanting their scoff there and then.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People still really haven't grasped the fact that 22,000 people aren't going to be able to hop on a train at the last minute, have they?

People still havnt grasped the fact we wont be selling out a 22,000 seater have they :dunce:

it's all about the BUNCE over here isn't it, rather than actually providing a decent service

spending as little as possible and charging as much as possible

f***ing GORDON BROWN

Replace Gordon Brown with "The Establishment" and it would be more accurate.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
As Easy says - it's great to be having this discussion.

Selling Bright Ale is actually easier than selling fosters or john smiths as it doesn't need gas lines. The trick will be to know how much is required and price to cover wastage (although there's no slops to worry about).

The issue of storage and gaps between games only comes into it if it is likely to be stored there. And for all the 'so what' brigade out there, at weddings or xmas do's where a choice is available it is never a surprise to see that the most appreciated items are ales.

But the comment that made me laugh is the 'other clubs dont do it so why should we'. It involves a bit of planning and thought - the fact other clubs dont put this in and treat all their customers as if they all want the same thing isn't a good reason why our club shouldn't. There's a lot at the stadium that other clubs dont do but that our club are doing. We should be pleased about that and not having another moanfest

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I dont drink ale, but dont they need looking after so to speak. Arent they going to be worse off having been left for 10-14 days at a time between games?

At least with bitch piss like carling or fosters, it tastes crap anyway, so it doesnt matter if its left alone.

I used to be a member of London Welsh rugby club - they had matches every fortnight same as the Albion but their bar served two or three real ales every game - one of which was the much-missed Felinfoel Double Dragon. The Albion attendance will probably be 10 to 15 times that of London Welsh too.

I really don't see why it's a problem for football clubs but not rugby ones.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If its a question of economics then look at it this way.
Anybody who drinks proper beer will NOT go to the ground early for a couple of pints so where do they make out of that deal. It would not be that difficult to think ahead and have enough real beer available. The most you can spoil is up to one barrel once you have your projections right.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Grubbs would be nice, but they're nice because they're freshly cooked to order.
That ain't gonna happen on a concourse with FASANDS of people queuing up wanting their scoff there and then.

Yeah, guess you're right. :(

Do you remember the little conveyor belt lift contraption they used to have in the Hove one? That was superb, as you'd be watching for it to roll into view armed with your brown bag of tasty burger on it.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I think the thing that should be the most worrying is the pricing. The club need to ensure the company appointed do not take the micky out of supporters by charging stupid amounts for a pint
Bang on. The catering at withdean charges stupid prices but get away with it because we're a captive audience. Don't be surprised if it's the same at Falmer. We'll be lucky if we're having to pay less than £5 a pint if the 'withdean experience' is anything to go by

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Wot is 'bright beer'?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah, guess you're right. :(

Do you remember the little conveyor belt lift contraption they used to have in the Hove one? That was superb, as you'd be watching for it to roll into view armed with your brown bag of tasty burger on it.

YES ! Manys the time I'd be blearily swaying at the counter in the early hours of the morning, waiting for my double bacon cheese & chiliburger to arrive in the hatch. Ahh, those were the days.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Personally I dont go to the match for a real ale session or dining experience.

Have beer before you go, get a pub lunch at the same time then you might be able to go a couple of hours watching football without topping up (unless you are a raging dypsomaniac or something). Face it, wherever you go visiting stadia you will queue for ages for overpriced skanky food or piss poor lager and then eat and drink it in a pissy smelling concourse rammed with shouty men.

This has been my experience everywhere watching Football and rugby from Old Trafford to Twickenham and only at the Cricket or Polo should you reasonably expect any different.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
american sports are BRILLIANT for their selection of food and drink

that nice, but then US sports take half a day and are so dull the food is probably a bigger draw.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
If its a question of economics then look at it this way.
Anybody who drinks proper beer will NOT go to the ground early for a couple of pints so where do they make out of that deal. It would not be that difficult to think ahead and have enough real beer available. The most you can spoil is up to one barrel once you have your projections right.

spot on. it may be one barrel per outlet but in reality the decision to open the next barrel will be based on time left, previous demand etc

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
twickenham is great for beer and food- far better experience than any football stadium i have ever been to

Actually you have a point, at least there the concourse opens up to the outside where there are independents selling hog-roast and that.

Also those birds walking round with the portable beer dispensers so no queues.

My comments referred to the bits under the stands which are just the samne as football stadia in terms of queues etc. But i suppose the rugby crowds are a bit more polite.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Wot is 'bright beer'?
ale can be sold as cask conditioned (where a bit of the residue/yeast from the brewing process remains in the cask and the beer conditions) or can be bright (which has been poured from a cask and placed into a container and the residue is not present - the beer will not improve any further).

In essence, Bright beer is easier to store and transport because you dont have to lay the cask down to settle (ensuring the reside remains in the cask and not in the pint that is served). It means ale can be transferred in and out of a venue the same day. For the suppliers it means they can use it elsewhere.

The disadvantage of bright is that once it's put into the container it has a limited shelf life whereas cask conditioned can be stored for far longer.

These days you will also find that bottled ales can sometimes come as bottle conditioned which means that the residue is also present in the bottle and the beer continues to prove.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
ale can be sold as cask conditioned (where a bit of the residue/yeast from the brewing process remains in the cask and the beer conditions) or can be bright (which has been poured from a cask and placed into a container and the residue is not present - the beer will not improve any further).

In essence, Bright beer is easier to store and transport because you dont have to lay the cask down to settle (ensuring the reside remains in the cask and not in the pint that is served). It means ale can be transferred in and out of a venue the same day. For the suppliers it means they can use it elsewhere.

The disadvantage of bright is that once it's put into the container it has a limited shelf life whereas cask conditioned can be stored for far longer.

These days you will also find that bottled ales can sometimes come as bottle conditioned which means that the residue is also present in the bottle and the beer continues to prove.

Do you have a beard mayhaps? have you ever referred to a landlord as "Mine Host"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here