Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stab victim on rape charge

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Say what you like but police methods have got better and with D.N.A. evidence the chances of an innocent being hung is vertually zero

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Technically the Jean Charles de Mendez wasn't even given the chance of a trial to clear his name was he.

The comment above about innocent people not getting hanged is making the naive assumption that DNE evidence is available and conclusive in all cases.

It isn't - you can still be proven guilty through other evidence.

Because of this, you'd probably end up with two different types of sentence for effectively the same crime (life or death).

It's a huge assumption to make that the person found guilty would instantly be executed. Appeals could go on for years.

In any case - if we wanted to re-introduce it we'd have to withdraw from the European Union.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
There is no place for the death penalty - ever. To kill someone for taking someone else's life makes the state no better than the murderer. As Ghandi said: "An eye for an eye and the World would be blind" (or words to that effect).

Some people argue that there should be the death penalty in place for crimes other than murder. e.g. rape and other sex crimes.

I would agree that all of these crimes are horrific but the people committing them are often suffering from severe mental problems which hamper their judgement - would it be reasonable to execute someone who has mental illness?

Finally, how would you prove 100% BEYOND ANY DOUBT that someone was guilty?
Life is a sacred thing at the end of the day and once its gone it don't come back so would people be happy to take a chance that someone might actually be innocent?

I know I wouldn't.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Say what you like but police methods have got better and with D.N.A. evidence the chances of an innocent being hung is vertually zero

Rubbish basically. Whilst DNE is "conclusive", it's use as evidence isn't always.

There was a famous case a few years ago where a woman claimed a man had raped her.

The police had DNE evidence and he technically banged to rights, but he also had conclusive proof that he wasn't anywhere near the woman on the night of the alleged crime.

The man was never charged with anything, but the woman ended up in prison.

Have a guess what happened ?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Rubbish basically. Whilst DNE is "conclusive", it's use as evidence isn't always.

There was a famous case a few years ago where a woman claimed a man had raped her.

The police had DNE evidence and he technically banged to rights, but he also had conclusive proof that he wasn't anywhere near the woman on the night of the alleged crime.

go on amuse me

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Who is your favourite poster on NSC?

Besides from yourself obviously!

Can't be arsed to make a poll, because there are WAY to many members!

For what it's worth I enjoy reading Easy10's posts, because they make me laugh (in a good way) most of the time.

What about you?

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Besides from yourself obviously!

Can't be arsed to make a poll, because there are WAY to many members!

For what it's worth I enjoy reading Easy10's posts, because they make me laugh (in a good way) most of the time.

What about you?

:thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud: :thud:

MY BAD!

I was supposed to click "Post Thread" on the Big Board, and not "Post Reply" on this thread.

Oh dear!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

the bloke had a twin?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
She was obsessed the man and had been stalking him for months.

I seem to recall he was her doctor.

Part of her behavior involved going through the blokes rubbish bin outside his house...

.. in which she found a used condom.

iF HANGING PREVENTS 1 CRIME IN THIS COUNTRY THEN I AM ALL FOR IT COMING BACK

Totally agree.

On one condition.

Every single person who supports the returnof the death penalty has this fact recorded. The moment somone who has been executed is shown to have been innocent then every single one of you/them is AUTOMATIcALLY convicted of murder and is sentenced to life imprisonment - no parole and no early release.

You know full well that innocent people are fitted up and convicted of crimes up to and including murder. To deliberately kill an innocent person to satisfy your blood lust makes you an even worse murderer than most other murderers who commit their crimes in a state of passionate anger.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
Totally agree.

On one condition.

Every single person who supports the returnof the death penalty has this fact recorded. The moment somone who has been executed is shown to have been innocent then every single one of you/them is AUTOMATIcALLY convicted of murder and is sentenced to life imprisonment - no parole and no early release.

You know full well that innocent people are fitted up and convicted of crimes up to and including murder. To deliberately kill an innocent person to satisfy your blood lust makes you an even worse murderer than most other murderers who commit their crimes in a state of passionate anger.

Blood lust?? don't think so somehow. How the f*** can you say that when you know absolutely f*** ALL about ME :tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here