Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contributiion"

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
What exactly is sustainable about a bus? Do they not use the same petrol I use in my car? And do trains not run on national grid electricity from coal and gas-fired plants?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
What exactly is sustainable about a bus? Do they not use the same petrol I use in my car? And do trains not run on national grid electricity from coal and gas-fired plants?

1 fifty seater bus or 50 cars carrying 1 person, or even 25 cars carrying 2 people, surely you can see the benefit, do you know how many people can fit on one train, 100's

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Special Buses: Negotiations Ongoing with Alternative Bus Co + "supporter contri

Well a bus carries 60-70 people, maybe more, that's 60-70 people not using cars.

1 thing for sure with this though, trains will be getting much busier !!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Shhh! The whole thing will unravel if you say that! Repeat the following Park and Ride mantra: Drive, park, and get on fleet of fuel-guzzling, fume-producting buses = GOOD. Drive, park, and walk = VERY VERY BAD!

But yeah, you're correct, for a football stadium there is no such thing 'sustainable transport', fuel gets burnt regardless. Hence my sympathy for the club as they try to square an almost impossible circle.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So let me get this straight...

This season I have to pay £125 (£50 increase on my season ticket and then £75 for Seagull Travel) extra for increased travel costs

Add this to the £200 for two children (2 x £25 season ticket increase + £75 for Seagull Travel)

Despite this I will be guaranteed a seat (even though I never missed a bus last season when I caught one)?

So in effect, the cost of supporting Brighton has this season increased for me by around £325 (and this is notwithstanding any increases in refreshments/match programme), despite there being a previous transport levy in the previous season ticket?

Have I understood that correctly?

It's only increased by an extra £75 if you take the new service. You can still use your ticket for free travel on the scheduled bus and train services within the voucher zone, which these buses cover.

I can understand that those who are using these services feel aggrieved, but the service now being provided by the club (which is still subsidised despite the new charge) should in theory at least be a better one than that which it replaced. I live in central Brighton and have a train ticket that is valid for travel so I get no benefit from the subsidy at all, so these things even out amongst the various transport users.

Hopefully the "improved" service (we'll see how it works before passing judgement) will merit the extra charge.

Sadly the planning constraints have had the club over a barrel. In an ideal world there would be no surcharge but then I think journey times and costs would be higher than they are at the moment for a lot of people, and ironically there would be less complaints.

I appreciate that this post does little to appease those who find they are having to pay extra for something which was already included their ticket price, but I sincerely hope that the new service (which club does have to pay for) makes up for it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Trouble is most people who used the H/P/R/S buses for the last 2 seasons at the cost of the travel tax and knew by and large it got them to and from the AMEX hassle free will now find a couple of weeks before the start of the season that either they pay a shed load of money or have to make alternative arrangements.

There are going to be loads of unhappy punters and why not make the P & R buses bookable and charge too if that is the case ?

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
The P bus was brilliant, I never left a game early and never missed the bus, it dropped me off where I wanted and it was then a short walk home. This is no more than corporate hogwash as they will be taking a cut. What is happening to this club?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The club are having it spark off here. Supposedly 'balls up' an announcement re: the new transport plan, and get a complete 'brainstorm' session, with views from all across the spectrum of supporters, via NSC. Much better than a focus group meeting made up of people with no grasp of the situation, as all aspects will be dissected on here with a fine tooth comb, and a satisfactory solution can just be lifted from the discussion. Marvellous work chaps :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not that I get the bus, but if you wanted to, what is the mechanics...do you have to book your seat every time you us the bus? Can you pay in advance a la season ticket? Do you phone the seagulls travel lot or the club?
. If you phone the club will you be charged a booking fee? If you have booked a place and the bus doesn't turn up, can you get on another one, although I assume they would also be booked up?

It's all very confusing to an old git like me

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Not that I get the bus, but if you wanted to, what is the mechanics...do you have to book your seat every time you us the bus? Can you pay in advance a la season ticket? Do you phone the seagulls travel lot or the club?
. If you phone the club will you be charged a booking fee? If you have booked a place and the bus doesn't turn up, can you get on another one, although I assume they would also be booked up?

It's all very confusing to an old git like me

http://www.ekmpowershop28.com/ekmps/shops/stagedoor/seagull-travel-8-c.asp

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It doesn't answer my question at all. In fact, it misses the point.

The club is not responsible for information given out by a separate party - irrespective of whether they have a working business arrangement.

True. But a modern club/business has to manage and deal with all information about them whether its from them or not. PR is very important and the club is woeful at this.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

The P bus was brilliant, I never left a game early and never missed the bus, it dropped me off where I wanted and it was then a short walk home. This is no more than corporate hogwash as they will be taking a cut. What is happening to this club?

This, although sitting in WSU I missed it a couple of times, as it left before we got there, and we always had to run to get it. Having said that, the solution would have been to lay on a couple more P buses after matches, going at say 10 min intervals, not to abolish the whole bloody thing!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

So let me get this straight...

This season I have to pay £125 (£50 increase on my season ticket and then £75 for Seagull Travel) extra for increased travel costs

Add this to the £200 for two children (2 x £25 season ticket increase + £75 for Seagull Travel)

Despite this I will be guaranteed a seat (even though I never missed a bus last season when I caught one)?

So in effect, the cost of supporting Brighton has this season increased for me by around £325 (and this is notwithstanding any increases in refreshments/match programme), despite there being a previous transport levy in the previous season ticket?

Have I understood that correctly?

If You get the regular, scheduled buses and trains then it won't cost you anything more. :shrug:

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
So it's says £75 for the season but when you try and book it's £125 plus an extra amount dependent on how far you live.
Have I missed something?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Many people walk or cycle. That's sustainable.

I presume you don't consume food and drink in order to fuel your walking or cycling and that bicycles are also produced without eating up any resources.

The non-sustainable argument can be taken to extremes, if you remember that it's not just about burning oil in our cars.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here