Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern trains

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I don't know exactly what the Gatwick problem was but it is most likely an infrastructure problem (signalling, conducter rail etc). This is the responsibility of Network Rail. Southern have been receiving all the flack (and I'm not defending them, the information problem sounds horrendous). And thereby lies the problem of the privatised railway. There are contractual relationships ie legal agreements and financial penalties between the train and the track. Surely an integrated railway would be better placed to cope with this sort of problem.

I've been lucky, was off work yesterday and decided not to chance it this morning, so dealt with my meeting via teleconference and am now tucked up at my computer getting a report done. Tomorrow? Who knows?

PG

PS things must be bad if even Ernest is not sticking up for the railways

That may well all be true, but my contract (ticket) is with Southern - they are the delivery point of the service (or non-service as the case may be). Any contractual negotians that need to happen behind that are nothing to do with me. And, as I've said before, as you agree with, the very least they can do is supply USEFUL information, and there is just no excuse for that these days.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Quite right, forget all the excuses you paid Southern Railway for the service so they are responsible.

Nothing worse than a cop out.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Quite right, forget all the excuses you paid Southern Railway for the service so they are responsible.

Nothing worse than a cop out.

Of course they are. If they have problems with their suppliers, then it's their task to sort that out. What do you want me to do, storm into metal working shop in Sheffield to complain because they made a screw, that went to make part of a track on which a train failed to run.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
wonder where I stand as I am travelling down from Leeds to Brighton tomorrow and East Coast have their trains running on a limited service but if I cannot get from London to Brighton where do I stand? (and dont say on a cold snowy platform :) )

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Pop pickers...if you had to get to Euston for 10am tomorrow what would you do? Leave really really early or try and get up there and stay over tonight?

That would depend on whether I had to pay for the overnight accommodation myself!... If I did then I wouldn't bother as I'm a tight sod.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
wonder where I stand as I am travelling down from Leeds to Brighton tomorrow and East Coast have their trains running on a limited service but if I cannot get from London to Brighton where do I stand? (and dont say on a cold snowy platform :) )

I would say don't attempt the trip if you don't absolutely have to do it. Weather is not due to improve in the next 24 I think, but I gather the temp may rise a bit over the w/e. You could find yourself stuck in London, and there won't be many hotal rooms to be had.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Of course they are. If they have problems with their suppliers, then it's their task to sort that out. What do you want me to do, storm into metal working shop in Sheffield to complain because they made a screw, that went to make part of a track on which a train failed to run.

That's not the point I was making. People were saying privatisation makes no difference: I am arguing that having contractual rather than co-operative arrangements in the vertical (dis)integration of the railways can only exacerbate how problems are dealt with. I shall be claiming my compensation from Southern too!

PG (still wfh btw)

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
You seem to know all the answers, i get a weekly season ticket between london and hove,am i likely to get two extra days on it now ?

I recall from the snow earlier this year that if you send Southern your weekly ticket (or if it's still a valid monthly or annual gold card you can take a picture and email them it) they refund you the day(s) you couldn't travel.

They obviously have some clever small print way of sending you pittance though, I have an annual season ticket from Seaford > E Croydon and I was sent a £17 cheque when I know a daily return is £33 or thereabouts.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
These are the only Southern services operqating in Sussex:

Between Brighton and Eastbourne

An hourly train service is running, calling at Polegate and Lewes:

From Brighton to Eastbourne on the hour
From Eastbourne to Brighton at 50 minutes past each hour

Between Littlehampton and Chichester

An hourly train services is running calling at all stations:

From Littlehampton to Chichester at 30 minutes past each hour
From Chichester to Littlehampton on the hour

All other Southern and Gatwick Express routes remain suspended at the moment

Passengers are advised not to attempt to travel as no replacement bus services will be available.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That's not the point I was making. People were saying privatisation makes no difference: I am arguing that having contractual rather than co-operative arrangements in the vertical (dis)integration of the railways can only exacerbate how problems are dealt with. I shall be claiming my compensation from Southern too!

PG (still wfh btw)

But surely, the organisation structure will change very little private or public as it's 99% the same people involved. So, you'll replace people, who at least have to answer to their shareholders with people who answer to nobody and have no incentive. In either case people need to be held responsible for the shortcomings, the problems identified and addressed. As I've said many times already, the very least is useful information and that should cost relatively nothing.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I recall from the snow earlier this year that if you send Southern your weekly ticket (or if it's still a valid monthly or annual gold card you can take a picture and email them it) they refund you the day(s) you couldn't travel.

They obviously have some clever small print way of sending you pittance though, I have an annual season ticket from Seaford > E Croydon and I was sent a £17 cheque when I know a daily return is £33 or thereabouts.
thks mate.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll bet the gits have no real intention of runnning any tomorrow either

Fecking better be trains I have a meal from a supplier to attend

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I'm not being a Luddite, but in the nationalised days, it would never have been as bad as this. We would all work together, and get things moving. Now, its all down to bean counting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here