Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton bidding 5mil+ for Gary Hooper

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Bit risky isn't it :eek: Good player, but the Scottish leagues aren't exactly brilliant... As Sandaza has shown!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hooper is a proven scorer in the Championship so no risk really but as Lennon has said he would need a £35m offer to let him go I think Soton's £5m comes into the "cheeky bid" category

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Didnt he play for Adkins before going up to Scotland and was a prolific scorer in this division so no doubting his ability, but still a lot of money and would he do it when they get in the Prem.

Bexhillian

Jan 18, 2011
Hooper is class! I know the Scottish league is a joke but his finishing is unreal, whoever gets him is luck IMO

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Didnt he play for Adkins before going up to Scotland and was a prolific scorer in this division so no doubting his ability, but still a lot of money and would he do it when they get in the Prem.

That's what I mean with regard to risk. They are obviously bidding for him looking ahead to the Prem, but if he doesn't step up could be a bit of a waste...

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Apparently we're going back in with a £7.5million offer. Hopefully that will secure it as he is an unbelievable finisher. 20 odd goals in this league when still a teenager and in a shit team! From what i've seen of him, he's very much a striker of the Lineker ilk. A lot of goals from around the 6 yard box, so could work very well with Lambert.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Apparently we're going back in with a £7.5million offer. Hopefully that will secure it as he is an unbelievable finisher. 20 odd goals in this league when still a teenager and in a shit team! From what i've seen of him, he's very much a striker of the Lineker ilk. A lot of goals from around the 6 yard box, so could work very well with Lambert.

Like I say good player, but 7.5 million for a striker to play in the Championship is ludicrous in my opinion.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Bloody hell...I thought we paid too much for CMS!

If that £7.5 million figure is correct that's an awaful lot of money for someone who might not cut it at a higher level, I mean Danny Graham went for 3.5m, Beckford 2.5m and Cox 1.9m is he really that much better than these or is to do with the length of his contract

D

Deleted member 18477

If that £7.5 million figure is correct that's an awaful lot of money for someone who might not cut it at a higher level, I mean Danny Graham went for 3.5m, Beckford 2.5m and Cox 1.9m is he really that much better than these or is to do with the length of his contract

danny graham is a class finisher!

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest

Much better than those mentioned, plus Adkins has worked with him before and knows how to get the best out of him. At only 23, he still has time to grow into a top Premier League froward as well. I think he has 2/3 years left on his current deal, which is reportedly £10-15k p/w. We can double this quite easily, I don't know if Celtic would.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Much better than those mentioned, plus Adkins has worked with him before and knows how to get the best out of him. At only 23, he still has time to grow into a top Premier League froward as well. I think he has 2/3 years left on his current deal, which is reportedly £10-15k p/w. We can double this quite easily, I don't know if Celtic would.

I'm not doubting he's a quality player, I saw him play against us when Scunny spanked us a few years ago BUT is he worth 7.5m? Maybe you're paying over the odds because of the massive fee you received for Oxo chambermaid?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Really? If so, I hope he turns out to be absolute toilet. :thumbsup:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
_55645789_adkins_bbc.jpg

_52455071_adkins.gif

Scunthorpe-manager-Nigel--001.jpg

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Strange you should post those pic's of Sadkins with that 'orrible grin he does, Cheeky. Moments before I had a cringe-inducing flashback of his post-match i/view on The Football League Show on Saturday - where he ended his assessment of the performance with the SMARMIEST grin I have ever seen him do. :sick:

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
You can't argue that £7.5m isn't a risk for a player who hasn't yet featured in the Premiership. However Saints obviously have the cash and you won't get many better prospects around than Hooper. If they get him in January then promotion would be pretty much nailed on and so he would have easily paid for himself with 5 months.

Can see him being in or around the England squad in a year or two if it goes well.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
at £7.5m he would be a massive bargain - Lennon's assessment aside I would expect them to hold out for in excess of £10m.

In the context of Premier League strikers which is what you have to judge him against he is worth that in the current market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here