Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton bidding 5mil+ for Gary Hooper

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Hooper is a proven scorer in the Championship so no risk really but as Lennon has said he would need a £35m offer to let him go I think Soton's £5m comes into the "cheeky bid" category

If a £5m bid is cheeky, then a £35m valuation is ridiculous. There is no-one playing in Scotland worth that, in fact I doubt the entire Rangers squad are worth that.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Going OT slightly, those pictures.... jeez.... It's not a local rivalry thing, or last-season rivalry thing; that guy really has got such a punchable face.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
_55645789_adkins_bbc.jpg

_52455071_adkins.gif

Scunthorpe-manager-Nigel--001.jpg

I want to punch my laptop screen!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Much better than those mentioned, plus Adkins has worked with him before and knows how to get the best out of him. At only 23, he still has time to grow into a top Premier League froward as well. I think he has 2/3 years left on his current deal, which is reportedly £10-15k p/w. We can double this quite easily, I don't know if Celtic would.

Firstly, on what basis are you judging him to be 'much better' than Graham, who scored more goals at Championship level last year than Hooper ever did, and has proven himself to be effective in the Premier league?

Secondly, if you feel you can 'quite easily' pay an unproven striker THIRTY THOUSAND POUNDS per WEEK, whilst in the second tier, you are either a deluded retard, or MORE worringly, you might actually be correct - meaning that your club is run by irresponsible retards.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Firstly, on what basis are you judging him to be 'much better' than Graham, who scored more goals at Championship level last year than Hooper ever did, and has proven himself to be effective in the Premier league?

Secondly, if you feel you can 'quite easily' pay an unproven striker THIRTY THOUSAND POUNDS per WEEK, whilst in the second tier, you are either a deluded retard, or MORE worringly, you might actually be correct - meaning that your club is run by irresponsible retards.

This.

Transfer fees and wage levels of that proportion are simply not sustainable in this league. If those figures are accurate, Saints better hope they go up this year or things could get messy again.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War

I will say it again. The South Coast Club are DELUDED fools!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Southampton must reckon they are in the Premier already. Any new clubs promoted really need to buy about four quality players, and the strikers coast £10 million + at that level.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest

I have seen a fair bit of both, movement and finishing, Hooper is better than Graham.
He isn't unproven though is he. He banged 20 odd goals in for scunthorpe when he was what 19? in this league. Now in a more accomplished side, and playing with the best CF in the league, no doubt he'd thrive. Thirty thousand would be more than affordable for us given that for the club to make a profit we have to get around 18,000 through the gates, we're far surpassing that.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have seen a fair bit of both, movement and finishing, Hooper is better than Graham.

In your opinion.

Graham's movement and finishing is very good. Hooper is certainly not 'far better'.

Now in a more accomplished side, no doubt he'd thrive.

Possibly. Pure conjecture though.

Thirty thousand would be more than affordable for us given that for the club to make a profit we have to get around 18,000 through the gates, we're far surpassing that.

Ah, okay - Cool.

So when Hooper comes in on £30k a week (because you can afford it), where are you going to find the money to treble Lambert, Fonte and Lallana's deals to match it? Or do you not actually understand how these things work?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
In your opinion.

Graham's movement and finishing is very good. Hooper is certainly not 'far better'.

Possibly. Pure conjecture though.

Ah, okay - Cool.

So when Hooper comes in on £30k a week (because you can afford it), where are you going to find the money to treble Lambert, Fonte and Lallana's deals to match it? Or do you not actually understand how these things work?

Only two players have a 'highest order clause' according to the people I know, Lallana and Lambert. They are both on £25k p/w, an extra £10k isn't exactly out of our reach.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Only two players have a 'highest order clause' according to the people I know, Lallana and Lambert. They are both on £25k p/w, an extra £10k isn't exactly out of our reach.

Those are just the two whose wages you would automatically have to increase. There would be twelve more forming a queue at Cortese's door.

Has administration taught you nothing? Really?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here