Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton bidding 5mil+ for Gary Hooper

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I know the SPL isn't great but Hooper is a class striker, I don't get why he'd want to drop European football and chances of actually winning trophies just for Southampton who may not even get promoted. I can see Hooper coming to the Premier League in a couple of years time or so but not to a club like Southampton :lolol:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If as they probably will, Southampton get promoted is Hooper the only player they will need and it seems rather odd to strengthen one of the positions that they are strongest in or do they think that Lambert or Du Prado wont be able to score many in the Prem. I would have thought they would have more immediate problems like full backand back up keeper when they get promoted.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If as they probably will, Southampton get promoted is Hooper the only player they will need and it seems rather odd to strengthen one of the positions that they are strongest in or do they think that Lambert or Du Prado wont be able to score many in the Prem. I would have thought they would have more immediate problems like full backand back up keeper when they get promoted.

To be honest, arrogant though their fans are, I doubt the CLUB think they are quite promoted yet. They can worry about strengthening for the Prem when they get there.

Truth is, they ARE short of a striker - they are heavily reliant on Lambert. this (theoretical) signing, would be all about GETTING them up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I know the SPL isn't great but Hooper is a class striker, I don't get why he'd want to drop European football and chances of actually winning trophies just for Southampton who may not even get promoted. I can see Hooper coming to the Premier League in a couple of years time or so but not to a club like Southampton :lolol:

European football for Celtic in reality means three or four qualifiers in Gdansk or Tblisi.
Saints could pay him more money than Celtic.
He's worked for Adkins before.

Its plausible, IMO.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Lennon has said he would need a £35m offer to let him go I think Soton's £5m comes into the "cheeky bid" category

When I first read that, I assumed "£35m" was a typo and you meant £3-5 million.

You could sell every single player in the MTL and they wouldn't fetch £35 million between them. Lennon has embarrassed himself there.

I think £5 million would be slightly above the going rate, but then again it's supply and demand, and Southampton evidently want him. He's a decent player, but I wouldn't rate him above (say) Graham at this stage based on one decent season at Scunny and a hatful of goals against Noddy Scottish defenders. Sandaza scores regularly in Scotland, FFS.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
at £7.5m he would be a massive bargain - Lennon's assessment aside I would expect them to hold out for in excess of £10m.

In the context of Premier League strikers which is what you have to judge him against he is worth that in the current market

you have an excellent sense of humour

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Well if SFC can afford those sort of transfer fees which are regularly being spoken of (and the sort of wages associated) then fair enough.

We certainly cannot compete with that and I hope that we will not try to emulate their policy at least for now.

But seriously, good luck to the saints !

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Those are just the two whose wages you would automatically have to increase. There would be twelve more forming a queue at Cortese's door.

Has administration taught you nothing? Really?

Why on earth would there be a queue? Even if there was, Cortese would deal with it.

Administration has nothing to do with it. We are a long long way from Admin making a profit each week.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why on earth would there be a queue? Even if there was, Cortese would deal with it.

Administration has nothing to do with it. We are a long long way from Admin making a profit each week.

Because that's the nature of the beast. Player X gets a pay rise. Player Y, or at least his agent, thinks "hang on a second, if we're giving out more money here then I want some of that, I'm part of this team", and goes to see the boss. Footballers hold all the power these days, and they earn so much money (if Southampton are really paying £25,000 per week to Second Division players like Lambert and Lallana) that clubs simply can't afford to have them sulking in the reserves, so they either pay them more or they have to sell them.

Tevez is just about the only player I can think of in recent years who has actually been told to go rot in the reserves, and even that's only because City are the one club who can afford to spaff his wages away while he sulks on the sidelines. Any other club would have HAD to have sold him by now.

Players get paid what they want, or they leave.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Because that's the nature of the beast. Player X gets a pay rise. Player Y, or at least his agent, thinks "hang on a second, if we're giving out more money here then I want some of that, I'm part of this team", and goes to see the boss. Footballers hold all the power these days, and they earn so much money (if Southampton are really paying £25,000 per week to Second Division players like Lambert and Lallana) that clubs simply can't afford to have them sulking in the reserves, so they either pay them more or they have to sell them.

Tevez is just about the only player I can think of in recent years who has actually been told to go rot in the reserves, and even that's only because City are the one club who can afford to spaff his wages away while he sulks on the sidelines. Any other club would have HAD to have sold him by now.

Players get paid what they want, or they leave.

Jason Puncheon is another. If he doesn't go in this window, he will be training with the kids until the summer. It is not necessarily the case that others will be seeking wage rises, many would get laughed out the office as all key players have recently signed long term contracts. Fonte, Hooiveld, Fox, Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork, Lambert.

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
To be honest, arrogant though their fans are, I doubt the CLUB think they are quite promoted yet. They can worry about strengthening for the Prem when they get there.

Truth is, they ARE short of a striker - they are heavily reliant on Lambert. this (theoretical) signing, would be all about GETTING them up.

So were signing this quality jap and er seen who we've got on loan till end of season. I'd say our front line could be considered reasonable.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
So were signing this quality jap and er seen who we've got on loan till end of season. I'd say our front line could be considered reasonable.

You haven't even seen him play yet and you're already calling him quality :facepalm:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
You haven't even seen him play yet and you're already calling him quality :facepalm:

He's been on loan at Spurs who have just signed him permanently and loaned him straight to us. WTF would Redknapp sign him permanently if he wasn't quality. Face it, he's f***ing mustard.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

He's been on loan at Spurs who have just signed him permanently and loaned him straight to us. WTF would Redknapp sign him permanently if he wasn't quality. Face it, he's f***ing mustard.

You're not the brightest are you Ben? He was referring to the player you called quality funnily enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here