Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell sues Portsmouth...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see that Sol has got his lawyers to issue a writ for £1.7million for image rights and bonus payments.

Sol doesn't seem to be a man bothered by his football 'legacy'. Having blotted his copybook at Spurs, then leaving Notts County in the lurch the man who lifted the FA Cup for Pompey less than 2 years ago is now twisting the knife on his old club.

He's just signed for Arsenal so will be earning a nice bit of bunce.

Is it just me who thinks that if they built a Hall Of Fame for football's biggest c.unts he'd have a bronze statue out front? Or is he right to pursue this money?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the timing of it does show a lack of respect to Portsmouth's fans.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I would have thought the timing was forced as Portsmouth are going to have to pay people back and he is going to want his share.

Aren't you a Spurs fan, Pav? Why did he blot his copy book? Arsenal offered him a better deal and he didn't have to move very far.

Notts County is not a great acid test as it appears that things are not all what they seem. It is not as if he decided to sit out his contract and not play - he ripped it up.

Is anyone seriously saying they would write off £1.7m owed to them?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you're going to sue you've got to do it now because the club might not be around for much longer. But that's primarily because of player wages, bonuses and, er, images rights.

You wonder whether that £1.7 million might make the difference between surviving or going under.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not saying write it off, but surely gestures like this are pushing Pompey closer and closer to extinction? Would it not be better to wait until the storm has blown over, so to speak, and then look to claim his unpaid bonuses etc when they are on a more sure financial footing?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
He was an amazing player, and all the papers describe him as being "a complicated character" , but he's always just struck me as arrogant prick even by the normal professional footballer standards

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sol wont see much of £1.7M anyway after his agent , the solicitors and HMRC take their portions.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Aren't you a Spurs fan, Pav? Why did he blot his copy book? Arsenal offered him a better deal and he didn't have to move very far.

David Beckham said this week that no amount of money would tempt him to sign for Man City. That's the difference, see. Beckham's got a bit more class.

I'm an Albion fan though my family is from Enfield, so Spurs my second team. But that makes no odds - Campbell could have signed for anyone but he chose Arsenal. Similarly, I think Ashley Cole should not have signed for Chelsea.

I can understand why Campbell went to Arsenal, but the lack of stars who have crossed over to their big rivals over time shows most players think it's a ****ish thing to do.

How many big players have moved directly between Man Utd and Liverpool? Or Barcelona and Real Madrid? Or City and Utd? Most that have, like Figo, Tevez or Ashley Cole, are looked down on by most fans because of the lack of loyalty.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If Pompey want to go around dishing out ridiculous contracts they can't afford, then thats their lookout. Campbell has every right to sue them for what he's owed. You can't have clubs offering a player juicy bonuses in order to get him to sign for them, then going all Taffy on them when payday comes round.

Chickens are roosting there BIG time now, and not before time either.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see both sides of it, but it's CAMPBELL again! Who the hell is advising this clown?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know what you're saying Easy, but if we were Pompey fans I would be less than impressed. It's one thing to see my club going under, while those who were paid MILLIONS waltz off into the sunset without a second glance over their shoulders. It would be nice to think they may feel a little remorse for the passing of the football club, but I wouldn't expect it.

However, to actually turn round see us on our knees, coughing and spluttering our last, and walk over and stick the boot in like this will - rightly or wrongly - have Pompey fans hating him like Spurs fans do.

What you say is perfectly logical, but us footie fans aren't logical when it comes to our passions.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
550898.jpg

Anything that makes this twat unhappy pleases me, so even though I think SC is a tosser and not at all gay, I hope he suceeds

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
David Beckham said this week that no amount of money would tempt him to sign for Man City. That's the difference, see. Beckham's got a bit more class.
I'm an Albion fan though my family is from Enfield, so Spurs my second team. But that makes no odds - Campbell could have signed for anyone but he chose Arsenal. Similarly, I think Ashley Cole should not have signed for Chelsea.

I can understand why Campbell went to Arsenal, but the lack of stars who have crossed over to their big rivals over time shows most players think it's a ****ish thing to do.

How many big players have moved directly between Man Utd and Liverpool? Or Barcelona and Real Madrid? Or City and Utd? Most that have, like Figo, Tevez or Ashley Cole, are looked down on by most fans because of the lack of loyalty.

I think that should read `Beckham's got a bit more money`

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I know what you're saying Easy, but if we were Pompey fans I would be less than impressed. It's one thing to see my club going under, while those who were paid MILLIONS waltz off into the sunset without a second glance over their shoulders. It would be nice to think they may feel a little remorse for the passing of the football club, but I wouldn't expect it.

However, to actually turn round see us on our knees, coughing and spluttering our last, and walk over and stick the boot in like this will - rightly or wrongly - have Pompey fans hating him like Spurs fans do.

What you say is perfectly logical, but us footie fans aren't logical when it comes to our passions.

Put it so much better than I did. THIS is pretty much what I was trying to say.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Campbell was on about £100,000k a week at the Arse first time round because they didnt have to pay a transfer fee.

So whilst yes Beckham probably has more money Solomon isnt exactly worrying where his next fiver is coming from!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
QUOTE]

Easy for Beckham to say that having won so much at United, I imagine Campbell went to Arsenal because he was sick of the underachievers at WHL. I mean what would he have won at Spurs in comparison to the career he had at Arsenal, bloody good move imo? If Beckham had that much loyalty shouldn't he have stayed in London, his hometown,to seek his fortune, now THAT would have showed some class. Not running to the biggest club in the Country.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Well, those fans have enjoyed the good times with the likes of Sol Campbell, Glenn Johnson et-al helping them into Europe, stay in the Premier League and win the FA Cup. Unfortunately for them though, it was all done on tick, and now its payback time.

As a Pompey fan, would I be happy with Campbell sueing for what he's owed ? Probably not, no. But you reap the benefits when he's there, you pay the price when its due. Pompey fans have had a fantastic 7 or 8 years on credit off the back of the likes of Campbell, but it had to catch up with them some time.

Campbells not doing anything wrong. Their fans should be turning their venom on the various board members and owners, present and departed, who have allowed that club to be run like..well, run like a Leeds.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Campbell was on about £100,000k a week at the Arse first time round because they didnt have to pay a transfer fee.

So whilst yes Beckham probably has more money Solomon isnt exactly worrying where his next fiver is coming from!

pedant alert: It's Sulzeer not Solomon

I think it's a despicable thing to do, TBH, he's probably wealthy enough never to have to work again so to stick the boot in like this is pretty much beyond the pale.

I reckon he's right up there with Cashley as one of football's biggest tossers.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I find myself nodding in agreement with Easy's posts. Don't get me wrong, if I were a Portsmouth fan I would be really pissed off. However, it is the people in charge of the club that have over the last 5 years effectively bought their success on credit.

The fans should vent their anger at the club's management, not Sol.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here