Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell sues Portsmouth...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are an awful lot of muppets well and truly up themselves on this thread. Campbell was an employee of Portsmouth under contract which they appear not to have fulfilled despite apparently having been owned by several rich arabs over the last few years. Their former Chairman and manager appear to be tax crooks and their current CEO is under a similar dark cloud.

Why should a player give up £1.7? It is clear he has previously given them some leeway in paying it but presumably now is concerned that previous guarantees by the club will not be voluntarily met. If he wipes out his debt then it only benefits the likes of Storrie. As for £1.7 million sinking the club, that's crap bearing in mind they could easily sell a player to raise money. If they can't afford to play in the premiership then they have to accept relegation.

Finally, how does Pavillionaire know that lifting the FA Cup with Portsmouth is what Campbell considers the pinnacle of his career. He played for England, had won the FA cup with Arsenal and was part of the undefeated Arsenal team in 2003/4.

People seem to forget that players are primarily just employees of a club and any fan who believes otherwise just because they see a guy kiss his club badge once in a while hasn't a clue. That same player will be kissing the badge of his next employer just as keenly. There are very few players who spend their entire career with the club they supported as a boy.

Spot on Drew, well said.
Pompey have been fighting tooth and nail to get this transfer embargo lifted this month. Had Scudamore lifted it, you can bet your arse they'd have found 1.5m or £2m for Grant to bring in some obscure unknown african to bolster the midfield, or at the very least add even further to their astonishing wage burden. Meantime people such as Campbell who have been STIFFED by Pompey, just go to the back of the long, long line of creditors again while the club continues to pile up debt.

f*** em'. That football club have been taking the piss for years to maintain themselves at the top. Every single creditor, including Sol Campbell, has every right to demand what they are owed before the whole thing goes belly up.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Is it? Someone ought to tell Eric Cantona, Sol Campbell (perhaps exuseable for Champions league reasons?), Louis Figo, William Gallas or any other megabucks player who has switched to their neighbours because of money.
im not sure if you're deliberately missing my point, all the above switched for money, beckham says he wouldnt switch for money, of course he wouldnt, he doesnt f***ing need it! the point im making is , i'd bet a pound to a penny that his loyalty to united would mean a large f***-all if he was skint.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spot on Drew, well said.
Pompey have been fighting tooth and nail to get this transfer embargo lifted this month. Had Scudamore lifted it, you can bet your arse they'd have found 1.5m or £2m for Grant to bring in some obscure unknown african to bolster the midfield, or at the very least add even further to their astonishing wage burden. Meantime people such as Campbell who have been STIFFED by Pompey, just go to the back of the long, long line of creditors again while the club continues to pile up debt.

f*** em'. That football club have been taking the piss for years to maintain themselves at the top. Every single creditor, including Sol Campbell, has every right to demand what they are owed before the whole thing goes belly up.

Correct. I remember Leicester gaining promation with other peoples money a few years ago and how annoying that was. Pay your debts first, then if its admin so be it. In some respects its not that different to the situation we found ourselves in in the middle eighties.

Sell up and pay up Pompey.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
To get Campbell's writ in some sort of perspective, he's been used to getting what, £100K a week until a year or so ago. So, £1.7million is 17 weeks salary, the equivalent of £10-12K for the likes of you and me.

But it's not like that is it? Multi-millionaire footballers live in such a completely different World, that we can't compare our lives to theirs as simply as that.

If I was owed 17 weeks money, that is 17 weeks of money that was ear-marked for mortgage payments, or credit card payments, food bills etc. I somehow doubt it's the same for Sol.

If he is owed this money then of course he's perfectly entitled to do this, just as he was perfectly entitled to walk out on Spurs on a free, and go to arch-rivals Arsenal. But in both cases, it inevitably leaves a very sour taste in the mouth for both sets of fans and when viewed together will probably seal his reputation as a bit of a :tosser:

I just hope the brief spell at Notts County was properly settled by the previous owners before they left, or he'll be coming after them next.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But it's not like that is it? Multi-millionaire footballers live in such a completely different World, that we can't compare our lives to theirs as simply as that.

If I was owed 17 weeks money, that is 17 weeks of money that was ear-marked for mortgage payments, or credit card payments, food bills etc. I somehow doubt it's the same for Sol.

If he is owed this money then of course he's perfectly entitled to do this, just as he was perfectly entitled to walk out on Spurs on a free, and go to arch-rivals Arsenal. But in both cases, it inevitably leaves a very sour taste in the mouth for both sets of fans and when viewed together will probably seal his reputation as a bit of a :tosser:

I just hope the brief spell at Notts County was properly settled by the previous owners before they left, or he'll be coming after them next.

Personally, don't see him as a tosser just because he left Spurs for Arsenal. He left to win trophys and was vindicated in doing so. He gave Pompey 3 years service which is probably more than most players give their clubs and has been shafted by the board, as have other players and the fans. He is suing them for what is owed but I don't believe he has issued any winding up order!!!!

As for the Notts County situation, that 'project' went pearshaped and no wonder he decided to leave, as have the 'rich' owners.

It may well be that Campbell could still play in the World cup and be a rock in the defence which would be much more preferable than the other options in the absence of a fit Ferdinand, ie Upson!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Correct. I remember Leicester gaining promation with other peoples money a few years ago and how annoying that was. Pay your debts first, then if its admin so be it. In some respects its not that different to the situation we found ourselves in in the middle eighties.

Sell up and pay up Pompey.

Oooh, I wish you hadn't brought up Leicester, that is an INSTANT teeth-grinder for me. Don't forget they also got a free STADIUM into the bargain (well, one that cost about 6p in the £ in the end). Not only that, but when they bounced straight back up, they took 6 points off us that season with that Premieship squad they couldn't actually afford. We were relegated by 5 points that year.

Grrrrrr.

[edit]
And coincidentally, that season Leicester cheated their way back up to the Premiership by finishing miles clear in 2nd (2002/03), guess who were Champions ?

f***ing POMPEY. :angry:

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Personally, don't see him as a tosser just because he left Spurs for Arsenal. He left to win trophys and was vindicated in doing so.

So, if Palarse had been "the team of the 80s" you would not have had a problem with Nobby Horton signing for them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here