Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sol Campbell sues Portsmouth...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I see that Sol has got his lawyers to issue a writ for £1.7million for image rights and bonus payments.

Sol doesn't seem to be a man bothered by his football 'legacy'. Having blotted his copybook at Spurs, then leaving Notts County in the lurch the man who lifted the FA Cup for Pompey less than 2 years ago is now twisting the knife on his old club.

He's just signed for Arsenal so will be earning a nice bit of bunce.

Is it just me who thinks that if they built a Hall Of Fame for football's biggest c.unts he'd have a bronze statue out front? Or is he right to pursue this money?

Image rights ?.. Sol does not have a very good image sfter this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To get Campbell's writ in some sort of perspective, he's been used to getting what, £100K a week until a year or so ago. So, £1.7million is 17 weeks salary, the equivalent of £10-12K for the likes of you and me.

Even if you take his present £50K per week that's 34 weeks earnings, i.e. £20-24K for the ordinary bloke. And for that he's f***ing up his Pompey legacy and helping to f*** up all the trainees and junior pros, not to mention the back office staff at the club.

I wonder where football will be in 10 years time and whether we'll be looking back after the bubble has burst and pointing the finger at the likes of Campbell. It's player wages that's wrecked football, after all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wouldn't be happy if it was a brighton player doing it to us when the club was on its knees, but I think it's entirely understandable.

Is there also not a chance that he is simply putting the claim in now, so it is taken into account by the courts or the administrators and that he is listed as someone with a claim and that e isn't expecting the money in full from pompey right now whether they can afford it or not?

There's also the fact that putting in the lawsuit doesn't mean a) he's getting the money, b) that it'll get that far. Going back my previous points he might come to an agreement with pompey that he'll wait for them to stabilise before repaying at a manageable rate as long as he is listed as a debtor in case they do go into administration.

Dandyman

In London village.
Greedy classless twat. Can't be long to lunacy...

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Pompey seem to be about as stable on their keel as the Mary Rose was all those years ago, what if they also sink without trace, surely it is better for Sol to pursue his money whilst there is still a faint chance that he might get some.

If your employer didn't pay you your full salary, would you just shrug your shoulders and walk away or take every possible step to get it? I know what I would do, precisely what Sol is doing!

Well said Gully. Strong hypocrisy in this thread.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But it's not like that, is it? Most people would try and get what they're owed, but that's because they're not on silly money like Campbell.

Campbell's broke into the Spurs team around 1993/94. His average wages over the last 15 years or so will probably be around the £40K a week mark, maybe more. So leaving aside other income from endorsements etc he's probably had salary of £30million alone. And he's on a good wedge from Arsenal now.

The personal highlight of his career was lifting the FA Cup as Pompey captain, and yet he's taken the decision to issue a writ on the day Pompey's appeal against the HMRC winding-up petition was thrown out by the courts, becoming personally embroiled in their financial woes.

He doesn't need the money. It wasn't real money to start with, it was fantasy money the club never had.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Is there also not a chance that he is simply putting the claim in now, so it is taken into account by the courts or the administrators and that he is listed as someone with a claim and that e isn't expecting the money in full from pompey right now whether they can afford it or not?

There's also the fact that putting in the lawsuit doesn't mean a) he's getting the money, b) that it'll get that far. Going back my previous points he might come to an agreement with pompey that he'll wait for them to stabilise before repaying at a manageable rate as long as he is listed as a debtor in case they do go into administration.

I have no idea how these things work but I hope that the above is what is happening. Otherwise I can't help but feel the best English defender of the past ten years is little more than a mercenary, heartless twat. Yes, he has every right to ask for the money but he doesn't need it and there are some things more important than bumping up your bank balance. It's two fingers up at pompey(usually not a bad thing...) and tantamount to dancing on their grave. :nono:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
David Beckham said this week that no amount of money would tempt him to sign for Man City. That's the difference, see. Beckham's got a bit more class.
are you convinced that would be the case were he a £200 a week player from the seventies nearing retirement, albeit a united legend, and not a modern day icon worth over £100 million ?

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
i cant wait for the day that this tiresome prick finally retires and disappears of the
footballing map.His legacy?- a moneygrabbing twat by Pompey fans,a buffoon by
Notts County fans,a traitorous judas by Spurs fans and a pathetic joke by the rest of us

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
are you convinced that would be the case were he a £200 a week player from the seventies nearing retirement, albeit a united legend, and not a modern day icon worth over £100 million ?
No, but that's not the point is it. If he was a £200 a week player, nobody would begrudge him a chance to earn a fortune at Man City and he would never have said that.

The fact is, he IS worth a fortune and no amount of money that City could offer would make up for a tarnished reputation with the fans who used to adore him at a club he used to support. Respect to him for that.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No, but that's not the point is it. If he was a £200 a week player, nobody would begrudge him a chance to earn a fortune at Man City and he would never have said that.

The fact is, he IS worth a fortune and no amount of money that City could offer would make up for a tarnished reputation with the fans who used to adore him at a club he used to support. Respect to him for that.
i think you're missing my point , of course 'no amount of money' would entice him to play for city, because he doesnt need it, he is stating that his loyalty to united is priceless etc, what i am saying is would his loyalty be quite so priceless if he was skint, and he was being offered another 2 years at £300 a week ? as an aside , it semed to me that money was his motivation in signing for la galaxy , whatever rubbish he comes out with about raising the profile of the game in the states.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
i think you're missing my point , of course 'no amount of money' would entice him to play for city, because he doesnt need it, he is stating that his loyalty to united is priceless etc, what i am saying is would his loyalty be quite so priceless if he was skint, and he was being offered another 2 years at £300 a week ?
Well of course it wouldn't. But I am saying he wouldn't have been quoted "no amount of money...to play for City" if he wasn't already a millionaire several times over.

as an aside , it semed to me that money was his motivation in signing for la galaxy , whatever rubbish he comes out with about raising the profile of the game in the states.
I'm not convinced by that. I genuinely suspect that he moved to Madrid to follow his career, and his wife told him it was her turn with regards to a move to LA. He was actually "only" paid £5m a year (before spending half his season in Milan) - the rest was endorsement rights.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
My favourite alleged anecdote concerns him allegedly regularly popping round late for an hour or so to see one of his girlfriends, parking his massive automobile outside her flat allegedly, nipping home quickly after she'd sorted him out allegedly, then wondering if it really was his Bentley in Brixton that attracted enough attention to alert the papers...allegedly.

There's always been something weird about him, never really warmed to him, even after France 98 when he was a giant. He's none too bothered by what people think of him by the look of things though.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
To get Campbell's writ in some sort of perspective, he's been used to getting what, £100K a week until a year or so ago. So, £1.7million is 17 weeks salary, the equivalent of £10-12K for the likes of you and me.

Even if you take his present £50K per week that's 34 weeks earnings, i.e. £20-24K for the ordinary bloke. And for that he's f***ing up his Pompey legacy and helping to f*** up all the trainees and junior pros, not to mention the back office staff at the club.

I wonder where football will be in 10 years time and whether we'll be looking back after the bubble has burst and pointing the finger at the likes of Campbell. It's player wages that's wrecked football, after all.

Player wages (and Sky's cash) are indeed ruining football, but if you're a player can you really be blamed for accepting the obscene money the clubs are offering? I know I would.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Well of course it wouldn't. But I am saying he wouldn't have been quoted "no amount of money...to play for City" if he wasn't already a millionaire several times over.
so it was a pretty meaningless statement then,he's a united legend who is worth untold millions, doesnt need the money so wouldnt play for city,pretty obvious i would've thought, what next from sage beckham ? ' alex ferguson tries to bully referees'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
so it was a pretty meaningless statement then,he's a united legend who is worth untold millions, doesnt need the money so wouldnt play for city,pretty obvious i would've thought, what next from sage beckham ? ' alex ferguson tries to bully referees'
Is it? Someone ought to tell Eric Cantona, Sol Campbell (perhaps exuseable for Champions league reasons?), Louis Figo, William Gallas or any other megabucks player who has switched to their neighbours because of money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it? Someone ought to tell Eric Cantona, Sol Campbell (perhaps exuseable for Champions league reasons?), Louis Figo, William Gallas or any other megabucks player who has switched to their neighbours because of money.

Personally think Beckham would have gone to City at the time he went to Madrid if City had been in their current position and wanted him. Fergie wanted shot of him and all was not well for Becks at United ( a bit Tevez like?). History tells us that the Beckhams are totally money orientated so I'd take David's comments with a pinch of salt because I reckon he'd have jumped at the chance to switch to City and prove Fergie wrong :shrug:

As it is he keeps his United hero image intact so no suprise he's said what he has.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There are an awful lot of muppets well and truly up themselves on this thread. Campbell was an employee of Portsmouth under contract which they appear not to have fulfilled despite apparently having been owned by several rich arabs over the last few years. Their former Chairman and manager appear to be tax crooks and their current CEO is under a similar dark cloud.

Why should a player give up £1.7? It is clear he has previously given them some leeway in paying it but presumably now is concerned that previous guarantees by the club will not be voluntarily met. If he wipes out his debt then it only benefits the likes of Storrie. As for £1.7 million sinking the club, that's crap bearing in mind they could easily sell a player to raise money. If they can't afford to play in the premiership then they have to accept relegation.

Finally, how does Pavillionaire know that lifting the FA Cup with Portsmouth is what Campbell considers the pinnacle of his career. He played for England, had won the FA cup with Arsenal and was part of the undefeated Arsenal team in 2003/4.

People seem to forget that players are primarily just employees of a club and any fan who believes otherwise just because they see a guy kiss his club badge once in a while hasn't a clue. That same player will be kissing the badge of his next employer just as keenly. There are very few players who spend their entire career with the club they supported as a boy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here