Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Hang the Bastard

Votes: 34 50.7%

• Total voters

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Stumpy Tim said:
Personally I don't want the state killing it's own citizens - however barbaric their crimes. That's what makes him barbaric, because he's capable of killing. A state should not be like that towards it own people.

40 years is right in my opinion. I don't think he'll have a great life being in prison until his 70's & the likelihood is he won't last that long in prison conditions anyway

Utter bollocks IMHO

It's the state that should set the example for it's citizens to follow. We are soft on the serious criminals, prisons are a breading ground for criminals to expand their repertoire, all out our expense.

I don't like the idea of the state killing criminals, i'd much rather these people didn't kill, but we are living in the real world, and I believe they should pay the ultimate price for taking another persons life.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
hans kraay fan club said:
I just don't buy this argument at all. They of all people know what it is to have your childhood stolen. Why should that make it more excusable for them to ruin someone else's life?

It's not a rational mind at work though is it? It's the work of a disturbed mind, in many cases the result of a disturbed upbringing, and no matter how inexcusable the crime, if there is no appreciation of this then what sort of facist society do we live in? It's fine people on here sitting comfortably at work or at home with their stable lives sitting in judgement on shooting or hanging the bastard but how many would see it in less black and white terms if they could see the whole picture?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Highfields Seagull said:
Well I believe that killing people is wrong.

Fair enough. That is your opinion, and I dare say a lot of people will agree with you.

For me, if you don't make them accountable for their actions, more people will die in the long run. Prison is not a deterrant, and never will be

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
Cheeky Monkey said:
And what about the fact that many people who turn into paedophiles were sexually abused when they were young? People are too quick to point the finger at offenders who are often someone else's victims, the result being that from a very young age they never stood much chance of leading a 'stable' life. I'm not condoning their actions but it's far from being as black and white as people like to imagine.

doesnt make it right. speaking from personal viewpoint and knowing what its like.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I know most of you don't like hunting with hounds, but Huntley could at least be useful for exercise and food.

Hanging is too good for this fucker and keeping him alive is a waste of money. I can't think of anyone who is a better case for the death penalty.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Wanderer said:
Fair enough. That is your opinion, and I dare say a lot of people will agree with you.

For me, if you don't make them accountable for their actions, more people will die in the long run. Prison is not a deterrant, and never will be

That's always struck me as a slightly mad argument. If you murder anyone, i will murder you.
Murders aren't generally like the ones we see on Columbo where an actor gets poisoned by a co-star because he got a larger trailer. These are sudden, violent attacks or impulses or the murderer doesn't imagine they'll get caught. How would murdering a murderer deter that?

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Cheeky Monkey said:
It's not a rational mind at work though is it? It's the work of a disturbed mind, in many cases the result of a disturbed upbringing, and no matter how inexcusable the crime, if there is no appreciation of this then what sort of facist society do we live in? It's fine people on here sitting comfortably at work or at home with their stable lives sitting in judgement on shooting or hanging the bastard but how many would see it in less black and white terms if they could see the whole picture?

You wanna see the whole picture, go and see the parents of the murdered children and see who they feel about Huntley being a KNOWN OFFENDER prior to mudering their children.

You have to accept the reality of the world we live in.

The fact of the matter is that Huntley mudered two girls, it doesn't matter what state of mind he may have been in, he's a murderer who could murder again.

Stumpy Tim

Wanderer said:
Utter bollocks IMHO

It's the state that should set the example for it's citizens to follow. We are soft on the serious criminals, prisons are a breading ground for criminals to expand their repertoire, all out our expense.

I don't like the idea of the state killing criminals, i'd much rather these people didn't kill, but we are living in the real world, and I believe they should pay the ultimate price for taking another persons life.

Couple of points.

Firstly, you say the state sets the example, so how is the state killing someone (whatever their crime) a good example??!! Are you advocating vigilante's, because that'll teach the criminals a lesson.

Secondly, I agree with you current prisons get it all wrong - and that's global. Governments preach rehab, but it's all about punishment. I would much rather have a criminal out earlier if he's a new person, rather than keep someone in a few years longer but that person comes out worse than when he went in. That's the current system. They way to correct that isn't hanging criminals.

Thidly, the death sentence is proven not to work. I know it's predictable, but look at the US. Blacks are 5 times more likely to be on death row, they spend 10 years on death row anyway - and it costs more because of the retrials, appeals etc. And like it or not, justice doesn't get it right all the time. The Guildford 4 & the Birmingham 6 would be dead by now if they had been tried for treason. There's 10 innocent lives that would be lost.

Personally I want my government to be above killing its own civilians. I would like it to be above killing civilians of other countries too.... but you can't have it all

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
chip said:
I know most of you don't like hunting with hounds, but Huntley could at least be useful for exercise and food.

Hanging is too good for this fucker and keeping him alive is a waste of money. I can't think of anyone who is a better case for the death penalty.

His existence is pretty pointless in reality. 40+ years on an isolation block is a living death.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Wanderer said:
You wanna see the whole picture, go and see the parents of the murdered children and see who they feel about Huntley being a KNOWN OFFENDER prior to mudering their children.

You have to accept the reality of the world we live in.

The fact of the matter is that Huntley mudered two girls, it doesn't matter what state of mind he may have been in, he's a murderer who could murder again.

So what if he was a known offender, or could murder again, how does that contradict what I'm saying?

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Highfields Seagull said:
I would argue that the death penalty is not a deterrant either - people still commit serious crimes in the USA.

You're qute right, the reason is simple, most of them don't expect to get caught.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Apart from the moral arguments mistakes can and will happen, you can not ignore that.

Personally I think a life in prison would be far worse than a quick painless death anyway.

And with certain crimes (by adults) I really do think you shouldn't get another chance.

My 3 pennies

E

enigma

What the f*** is the Orient twat going on about?

Life should mean life.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Meade's_Ball said:
That's always struck me as a slightly mad argument. If you murder anyone, i will murder you.
Murders aren't generally like the ones we see on Columbo where an actor gets poisoned by a co-star because he got a larger trailer. These are sudden, violent attacks or impulses or the murderer doesn't imagine they'll get caught. How would murdering a murderer deter that?

Are you completely off your trolley? For everyone that murders someone as an impulse, there is another who is calculated. I suppose you think that there is only one type of murderer out there. Well there isnt. Get real.

And, by the way, nobody is recommending a carpet hanging of anyone accused of murder, far from it (I have said previously on this thread)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Clearly they are very good arguements both for and against, what I'm suggesting is if you know someone is a calculated murderer, the state should have the power to remove them from this world.

And please please can people read the whole thread before posting, it would make life so much easier !

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Wanderer said:
Are you completely off your trolley? For everyone that murders someone as an impulse, there is another who is calculated. I suppose you think that there is only one type of murderer out there. Well there isnt. Get real.

And, by the way, nobody is recommending a carpet hanging of anyone accused of murder, far from it (I have said previously on this thread)

I might be a little off my trolley, but i don't see how anyone about to murder would be put off by the thought of then being killed at the end of a long judicial system.
I suppose it's impossible to provide evidence of those who have not killed because of it. But there is evidence to show that it doesn't appear to be a deterrent in countries that have death penalties.

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
I wonder how much our opinion on this subject is influenced by having our own children. Before having my own I would have been far more liberal and made some argument about trying to understand, etc. etc.

Now I think that child murderers (and paedophiles) should be executed. They can't be rehabilitated and are too dangerous to ever let back into society. Its more humane to put them down like the sick animals they are. It is also proper justice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here