Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It's not.

But as have said Murray wasn't going to play any part in the season, he was 'phased out' at the end of last season.
If anything GM not being in the squad should been seen as a huge bonus it means the powers that be can no longer lean on (fob us off with) their 'emotional support striker'.

Another striker WILL arrive.

Yes I kind of see what you are saying. However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So far, every one of our fans is starving! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The issue with Callum Wilson wasn't the £20m transfer fee, but his wages of £100k per week. Quite a risk for a player with a poor injury record.
Brewster would be great as I think he'd fit into our team of strikers well. He'd get game time, but it wouldn't freeze out Connolly. I wouldn't be averse to Josh King but can't see Bournemouth letting him go as well as Wilson.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Danny Welbeck was awful for Watford, looked totally uninterested most of the time. But for me we could do a lot worse than Josh King. If Wilson has left Bournemouth for £20million then surely we could tempt them with somewhere around the £15-17million mark for King. He's 28 so little sell on value but in his 5 Prem seasons he has scored 7, 16, 9, 12 & 6 goals.

I think a key reason why Welbeck looked uninterested at times was because he seemed to only be used as a bit part player. If he had more regular starts it could get him back to more like his best - but I accept it would be a gamble. I agree that Josh King would be a decent signing however.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
That lot scored 3, 6, 2, 6 and 1 Prem goals between them, so a combined 18 goals in 77 starts and 61 sub appearances. That's mediocre. I'd fancy Brewster to break into that side, hold down a place and score more than the 6 their top striker managed last season. I think if Brewster came here he'd be in direct competition with Connolly, a player who had a decent breakthrough season that ended well and he is now Ireland's main striker threat. 10-goal Maupay would take some displacing too.

Sheff Utd were successful because they have a mean defence and because Fleck / Lundstram chipped in with 10 goals between them. To simply consolidate - never mind progress - they have to upgrade in the striker department. Prem managers have now had 2 looks at them, and if they don't mix it up a bit they could be dragged into an arm wrestle in the bottom half of the table.

You said that they were short up front, and I think you meant short on quantity -- which is how the term is normally used -- whereas it seems you meant short on quality. They'll have to ship one (or even two) out before signing another striker -- and I'd rate the chances of them getting Brewster as unlikely.
I do agree that things won't be quite so easy for Sheff Utd this year, but (and as you've pointed out) they're solid and organised, which ought to assist their survival. I also rate Maupay and Connolly, but we need another quality addition.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When is the pre-season fans forum? Don't we usually announce a player just before that? (I believe the recent zoom thing was the return to the amex consultation, not the traditional fans forum).

54 hours (and a bit). I think an exciting signing is imminent.

Uh-oh. I think the deal has fallen through...

[tweet]1303717879720882177[/tweet]

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
What about that Napoli player Milik? Last year of his contract, move to Roma or Juve hasn't materialised and is refusing to extend his contact. Was at Ajax before 2016 (so would know Veltman), can get for around £26m? Wasn't there a rumour that we were looking at Italy for our striker?

Although saying all the above, Spurs are the favourites to sign him now.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Mods, can we change the title of this thread to...

'So we all know there isn't a striker incoming - Why?'

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What about that Napoli player Milik? Last year of his contract, move to Roma or Juve hasn't materialised and is refusing to extend his contact. Was at Ajax before 2016 (so would know Veltman), can get for around £26m? Wasn't there a rumour that we were looking at Italy for our striker?

Although saying all the above, Spurs are the favourites to sign him now.

Just signed for Hajduk Split apparently

Nevermind, no use crying over Split Milik

sorry :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here