Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think signing a current PL striker is very unlikely regardless if its the carefully considered one some people want or the rushed one you seem to want.

Again you misunderstand. There is no need to rush. The club will have identified multiple targets long ago. So should move straight onto plan B. That is not rushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
No your attitude is complacent. I have more faith in the club. They carefully do their research from way way before the window opens. It is not like they haven’t already identified Nunez alternatives. So they don’t need to carefully start looking when the Nunez deal went wrong.

I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Did you quote the wrong person initially? All i said was that signing a new striker is a must, and then agreed with someone saying that the striker had to be chose carefully (which may mean the player missing the first couple of games). Struggling to see how any of that is complacent or how any of it relates to the Nunez deal or how any of it equates a lack of faith in the club :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I genuinely have no idea what you are talking about. Did you quote the wrong person initially? All i said was that signing a new striker is a must, and then agreed with someone saying that the striker had to be chose carefully (which may mean the player missing the first couple of games). Struggling to see how any of that is complacent or how any of it relates to the Nunez deal or how any of it equates a lack of faith in the club :shrug:

My point is that some on here think it is okay to go right to the end of the window because, they say, we need to carefully identify our striker targets, and it all takes time. My point is that we will have identified our striker targets long ago - Nunez, plan B, plan C, etc., so we won’t need time now to switch to our alternative targets. BTW, waiting for the end of the window means you get the dregs and the real panic buys, and that is the result of complacency.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
No your attitude is complacent. I have more faith in the club. They carefully do their research from way way before the window opens. It is not like they haven’t already identified Nunez alternatives. So they don’t need to carefully start looking when the Nunez deal went wrong.

So if you have faith in the club why are you stressing all over this thread?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I feel deprived now.

Go on, gissa clue.

Okay, don’t believe that the club are now carefully considering their striker recruitment options. They did this long ago.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
So if you have faith in the club why are you stressing all over this thread?

Because so many posters seem to think the club are only now starting a striker search post-Nunez fail, and I find that both naive and complacent (the latter because we cannot afford to delay)

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
My point is that some on here think it is okay to go right to the end of the window because, they say, we need to carefully identify our striker targets, and it all takes time. My point is that we will have identified our striker targets long ago - Nunez, plan B, plan C, etc., so we won’t need time now to switch to our alternative targets. BTW, waiting for the end of the window means you get the dregs and the real panic buys, and that is the result of complacency.

There's a huge difference between identifying targets and getting a deal done. The latter is where most of the window time goes. I don't think the club are currently scrolling through FIFA cards trying to identify a suitable target, nor do I believe they're sat on their hands. They'll have names in mind now and will have done for a while. But say we were to sign a 30 goal striker from Spain tomorrow for £70 million. They'd still have to quarantine for two weeks and miss the first game vs Chelsea and possibly the second vs Newcastle whilst they get up to speed.

Now let's say it gets a little more complicated. Say we're in talks with someone from Ligue 1 but we're about 5 million off in terms of the price. That then adds a week to negotiations while we work that out. Then the two week quarantine, which takes it to three weeks before the striker has joined our squad. He's now missed the first three games.

A third scenario: Let's say we've sounded out a Bundesliga player back in May about a move. He says he's not happy with the game time he's getting at his current team, a top club, but wants to fight for his place in the team in the new season. But he says he'll be interested in joining us if his situation doesn't change. We wait a while, and then the new season starts. He's on the bench for the first two games. We ask him again about a move and he now agrees. But his agent is asking for ridiculous fees, so we have to spend some more time trying to manage those demands.

Do you see how this whole thing takes time? We spent weeks working on a deal for Nunez only to miss out. It's not as simple as going "right, we've missed out on A, but don't worry, we'll have B coming through the door tomorrow". There is a pressing need for a striker, but it's not complacent to accept that one isn't just going to fall out of the sky.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There's a huge difference between identifying targets and getting a deal done. The latter is where most of the window time goes. I don't think the club are currently scrolling through FIFA cards trying to identify a suitable target, nor do I believe they're sat on their hands. They'll have names in mind now and will have done for a while. But say we were to sign a 30 goal striker from Spain tomorrow for £70 million. They'd still have to quarantine for two weeks and miss the first game vs Chelsea and possibly the second vs Newcastle whilst they get up to speed.

Now let's say it gets a little more complicated. Say we're in talks with someone from Ligue 1 but we're about 5 million off in terms of the price. That then adds a week to negotiations while we work that out. Then the two week quarantine, which takes it to three weeks before the striker has joined our squad. He's now missed the first three games.

A third scenario: Let's say we've sounded out a Bundesliga player back in May about a move. He says he's not happy with the game time he's getting at his current team, a top club, but wants to fight for his place in the team in the new season. But he says he'll be interested in joining us if his situation doesn't change. We wait a while, and then the new season starts. He's on the bench for the first two games. We ask him again about a move and he now agrees. But his agent is asking for ridiculous fees, so we have to spend some more time trying to manage those demands.

Do you see how this whole thing takes time? We spent weeks working on a deal for Nunez only to miss out. It's not as simple as going "right, we've missed out on A, but don't worry, we'll have B coming through the door tomorrow". There is a pressing need for a striker, but it's not complacent to accept that one isn't just going to fall out of the sky.

So your saying it is Nicolas Gonzalez because he is still playing fifa at Alexis apartment

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

But said posters seemed to be saying we need to sit back and be cautious and wait. All of which is BS and none of your rather good post contradicts what I said.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
no I'm saying the club will have their long term targets, so you can expect Jonathan Calleri to SING anyday now

Lol [emoji23]

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
But said posters seemed to be saying we need to sit back and be cautious and wait. All of which is BS and none of your rather good post contradicts what I said.

we as FANS have to wait and be patient I think, but I don't think anyone is saying that the club should be waiting around now doing nothing, and I don't think the club are, I think people just want to avoid Locadia-esque panic buys

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here