Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Bedwetting! We have a better squad than last year already. I for one won't panic if we take our time getting someone in. No need to panic buy.

We'll be just fine.

It is not panic buying to have several suitable options to pursue as early in the window as possible. In fact, that is just good management. Sitting back and allowing the disaster to happen seems to be your strategy. I hope the club are more proactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I feel the same.

Remember Fergie's last year at Man U. Crisis - they had no recognised strikers. Where would the goals come from? :eek: Now let me think, where did they finish at the end of the season? ???

:thumbsup: (even though I hate your avatar).

Another without a clue

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The transfer window is open for weeks yet! I would be quite happy to start the season with what we have if we have to. The signings we need have to be chosen wisely. No need to rush into a bad decision.

And suppose we have a bad start. Which carefully selected striker will sign for us then?

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Agree. It could very well just have been the case that the bidding war for Nunez had started first and we therefore felt it was the right time to make a move. There were rumours of an offer from Southampton weeks before us (derisory though it allegedly was). It could also be the case that the bidding war for our 'main' target (perhaps someone more expensive than Nunez) hasn't started yet

Well the club do play their cards close to their chest but, seriously, they really should have a striker in before the season starts

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
For all we know we could have a deal agreed for a striker? but at the moment a lot of the decent strikers are away on international duty.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Someone who wants a PL wage.

So someone from below the prem or abroad, so high risk. Great strategy.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
And last season. Murray started only a handful of games.

Oh it can work, so long as you have players of sufficient quality, Spurs at home being the classic example. My point is that you need the option when it doesn’t. We did have that awful winless run up to the lockdown. I think the ideal player would be someone similar to Danny Ings, who is quick and clever, but has a bit more physical presence. My main concern is injuries and suspensions. We looked better after the restart with both Maupay and Connolly playing. Disagree with me, fine, but I really don’t think one small striker on his own works, unless he is really top quality.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For all we know we could have a deal agreed for a striker? but at the moment a lot of the decent strikers are away on international duty.

Not only agreed, but in quarantine for 14 days so we can't announce till he emerges blinking in to the sunlight clutching his new Albion shirt aloft.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

That is the hope. Alternatively, we may have just gone for Nunez with no plan B. So no alternatives identified. Then we can just sit back and carefully think about our options until the window closes! [emoji6]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So someone from below the prem or abroad, so high risk. Great strategy.

I think signing a current PL striker is very unlikely regardless if its the carefully considered one some people want or the rushed one you seem to want.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
interested as to why you think choosing signings carefully is complacency

No your attitude is complacent. I have more faith in the club. They carefully do their research from way way before the window opens. It is not like they haven’t already identified Nunez alternatives. So they don’t need to carefully start looking when the Nunez deal went wrong.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Its all gone very quiet. Hopefully a Veltman style surprise is on its way. We cant possibly go into a new season with just Maupay and Connolly.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

According to Vagabond a deal has already been done :

"We have someone lined up. Even by our usual standards we’re exceptionally short of numbers up front now. A deal has been done."

The only problem is he hasn't told us yet. Obviously like the club and keeping it close to his chest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here