Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Not many teams are starting tall forwards these days. Even fewer tall AND quick ones. Maupay is a modern number 9.

If Maupay & Connolly got injured I think Trossard would have been the most likely option for the CF role. Obviously Murray would probably have played more with these out, but I doubt he would have started much.

It's hypothetical. The point is I don't think we are going to leave ourselves with 2 strikers only until January. Trossard would never do 90 mins as a central striker anyway so, even if you are right, we would need another striker to come off the bench. A club with top 10 ambitions is not going to rely on 2 strikers and a makeshift CF. Glenn did actually start at Southampton let's not forget, he hadn't been completely ignored!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think that it is Murray dependant personally because it's him or who, Gyokeres? He would certainly have been on the bench in your scenario. Also, two injuries is not a million to one chance is it. You can have evens with me that we don't sign a striker if you want it.
Of course we'll sign a striker.

All I was saying to HKFC and others who have made to same point is:-

Murray leaving now doesn't mean it's a revolving door and a new striker will be in the moment he's cleaned out his locker.

The timing of Murray's departure only signifies the fact that Murray's career as a Albion player was already over, nothing else.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Of course we'll sign a striker.

All I was saying to HKFC and others who have made to same point is:-

Murray leaving now doesn't mean it's a revolving door and a new striker will be in the moment he's cleaned out his locker.

The timing of Murray's departure only signifies the fact that Murray's career as a Albion player was already over, nothing else.

Ok, I misunderstood your point then. I don't agree with it but that's another issue!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Messi.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I think it could well be Gyokeres,he wouldn’t be first pick, and with something to prove . Any expensive signing would I am sure need assurances that he would be the main man.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I think it could well be Gyokeres,he wouldn’t be first pick, and with something to prove . Any expensive signing would I am sure need assurances that he would be the main man.

Is Gyokeres even a central striker? When I have seen him in the U23s he has been out wide

No, we need to sign a target man striker soonest IMHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon

I'd rather use Gyokeres than buy a meh player like Dia, but to be clear on one thing- not signing a striker this window (and a good one at that) would be an absolute, unmitigated disaster and would virtually guarantee relegation

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'd rather use Gyokeres than buy a meh player like Dia, but to be clear on one thing- not signing a striker this window (and a good one at that) would be an absolute, unmitigated disaster and would virtually guarantee relegation

Yes as seen by last seasons relegation with basically the same strikers

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018

we got very very lucky with injuries last season. that may happen again, it may not and perhaps 'guaranteed' was hyperbole on my part, but one injury to maupay is all it takes before we're in some serious ****.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

Bedwetting! We have a better squad than last year already. I for one won't panic if we take our time getting someone in. No need to panic buy.

We'll be just fine.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Very nieave from someone usually more astute. We had Murray always available and always a capable option. This season we don't.
We were lucky (nothing more) that Maupay stayed free of injury and suspension.

Now with Murray gone, you think it's wise to stick with the same season long gamble on Maupay - murray?

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
Bedwetting! We have a better squad than last year already. I for one won't panic if we take our time getting someone in. No need to panic buy.

We'll be just fine.

yes I'm not panicking yet, still plenty of time. but a new striker *at some point* this window is an absolute necessity. massive risk going without one, maupay gets injured next season and we're absolutely finished.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

We'll be just fine.

I feel the same.

Remember Fergie's last year at Man U. Crisis - they had no recognised strikers. Where would the goals come from? :eek: Now let me think, where did they finish at the end of the season? ???

:thumbsup: (even though I hate your avatar).

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I agree no new striker will be an absolute disaster and very confident the club wouldnt even consider the option. Maupay gets injured and we would be in a shocking state.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here