Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Could money be an issue this transfer window? With clubs having to repay some of the TV money from last season and the potential loss of over £1m per home game without crowds (for us I believe) maybe there isn't as much in the kitty as we would want. Can't spend what you haven't got unless you're Man City.

I do expect us to sign somebody in all seriousness but reckon this transfer window's spend will be half of what we have spent in the 3 previous summers. Just my view.

I still don't understand why clubs are having to pay Sky back any money? Sky still ended up showing the matches and the TV audiences were far higher than average giving their sponsors greater exposure. Yes people will have done the 3 month payment holiday from Sky but I think that they will have more than made that back with people being desperate for football and them showing more games in the end

as a slight disclaimer - I know bugger all about finances and have a simplistic view on these things!

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Could money be an issue this transfer window? With clubs having to repay some of the TV money from last season and the potential loss of over £1m per home game without crowds (for us I believe) maybe there isn't as much in the kitty as we would want. Can't spend what you haven't got unless you're Man City.

I do expect us to sign somebody in all seriousness but reckon this transfer window's spend will be half of what we have spent in the 3 previous summers. Just my view.

But from everything we've heard, we were willing to pay over 20M for Nunez, which doesn't really imply that we're struggling for cash

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Having just freed up the best part of £200k a week in wages, why not go crazy and sign a proper A list striker?

Diego Costa has just 1 season left on his contract. As does Vincent Aboubakar at Porto. Neither would cost more than £20m.

Or from the bargain bucket, Mario Mandzukic is available on a free. As is Daniel Sturridge.

Now him and Maupay kicking lumps out of David Luiz has to be worth a few mill :lolol:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I still don't understand why clubs are having to pay Sky back any money? Sky still ended up showing the matches and the TV audiences were far higher than average giving their sponsors greater exposure. Yes people will have done the 3 month payment holiday from Sky but I think that they will have more than made that back with people being desperate for football and them showing more games in the end

as a slight disclaimer - I know bugger all about finances and have a simplistic view on these things!

Good article in the Times recently on the issue from 12th August :

"The 20 clubs in the English Premier League will receive all of their prize money for the 2019-20 season having agreed to defer Covid-19-related rebates to broadcasters and spread them out over future seasons.

It has been reported that clubs will have to repay broadcasters roughly £330m ($430.8m/€366.6m) after the season was suspended due to the pandemic and then resumed behind closed doors in June.

The clubs’ decision to defer the repayments was taken at last week’s annual general meeting of club chairmen and chief executives because the league continues to negotiate the extent of the rebates with its 55 domestic and international broadcast partners, The Times reports.

As a consequence, clubs will receive the full amount due to them for the 2019-20 season, the first year of a new distribution model for overseas rights in which a proportion of prize money is based on where a club finishes in the league."

Even though money to be repaid looks like it's going to be deferred, maybe that has something to do with us not going overboard in the spending stakes so far. I still expect us to spend maybe £25m this transfer window, but nowhere near the £50m odd in the 3 previous summers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
You have to think, even by our standards of not having enough strikers. Having 2 recognised, experienced first team strikers (Maupay and Aaron) would be pretty crazy.

We have to have someone lined up.

I’m half expecting to see a Veltman style surprise out the blue striker holding up our shirt by the end of the week.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Gomez being linked with Barca and Utd, can't imagine he'd give us the time of day

Like Rodrigo - Valencia would want to sell to a team outside La Liga.

Gomez has been inconsistent at Valencia and not recaptured his Celta form. He’d be a bench player for Utd & Barca.

We’ve already done two contracts with his agent this Summer - I’d not bet against a third.

Admittedly, I’ve got the Dia-Fear and am grasping at straws here.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
Like Rodrigo - Valencia would want to sell to a team outside La Liga.

Gomez has been inconsistent at Valencia and not recaptured his Celta form. He’d be a bench player for Utd & Barca.

We’ve already done two contracts with his agent this Summer - I’d not bet against a third.

Admittedly, I’ve got the Dia-Fear and am grasping at straws here.

As the story goes, Gomez was being lined up by Barca to replace Suarez. That may be total rubbish, but I still think it would be a hard deal for us to complete (would be ecstatic if we pulled it off though)

I hope we are after someone of Gomez's I'll, or at least a mysterious foreign import. Just something with excitement basically.

Couldn't think of a more meh signing than Dia if I tried. I'd rather just promote Gyokeres. And Brewster just kicks the 'replace Glenn Murray' can a further year down the road.

Nunez really would've been perfect, great shame we lost out, though it never really looked like he was coming here. Don't know why there are rumours of some Italian signing floating around, but that might be interesting.

Hopefully this is just the calm before the storm and we'll have a flurry of exciting signings, and we aren't just settling for mediocre.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I thought that Watkins would be at Villa by now. As we keep our powder dry I can see that this has more credibility as the window progresses.
I think we are playing a waiting game with the big fish to catch potentially being at the end of the window. In most windows it’s a hot market and prices creep up. This one is different and quite possibly a bit of patience will pay off.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Danny Wellbeck on loan, with an option, wouldn’t surprise me.
Similar to the Mooy deal.
I’d be happy with this, if he was fit. Big if, I give you.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
I thought that Watkins would be at Villa by now. As we keep our powder dry I can see that this has more credibility as the window progresses.
I think we are playing a waiting game with the big fish to catch potentially being at the end of the window. In most windows it’s a hot market and prices creep up. This one is different and quite possibly a bit of patience will pay off.

Whatever is going on with recruitment I would suggest the press and therefore all of us are at least a week behind on what’s really going on. I think TB threw his cards in last week regards Núñez for example. Anyone mentioned Troy Deeney to us yet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here