Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] So we all know there's a striker incoming - Who ?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
If that same position means we scored enough to stay in the PL, then great. For that is the only priority and any player wherever they come from and however long they are here is so to achieve that aim.

We cant be doing favours or prioritising academy players, just because they might get hacked off, if they're good enough they will get the chance, if they're not, and they cannot at the very least seriously challenge Connolly or Maupay, then sentiment comes at potentially too high a price. Let them get pissed off, the club and commercial priority comes first

Lovely........ we went cheap, didn't have quality cover, didnt score enough goals (an age old tale repeated every season by some relegated teams), got relegated, lost 150 million + half the squad.

But xyz from the U23's got a go and they're happy?

Brewster is better than any attacker in our U23's. And if he wasn't he wouldnt start (if we went for him).

Its that simple

We've moved on from prioritising staying in the league now, the aim now is mid table. I personally wouldn't want Brewster on loan as I don't see the point in loaning anyone unless there's an option to buy whilst we're in the prem, and there definitely wouldn't be with him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I don't want a loan striker at all so it is not everyone who wants him.

My heart sinks everytime he is mentioned.

With that Sentiment, Zamora never came, and maybe because of it, neither did promotions or sitting in the PL today? who can say...... but because of that loan, he signed twice and is rightly imortalised as a club legend.

No loan no Lloyd Owusu and no great escape.

Who is to say that whatever player we may get on loan, doesnt fire us into a much better place, and then wants to stay or is then sold? just like Bobby?

Improving the first team this season or not. That is the only metric (from which our final position depends).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Still holding out for Vincent Jansen.
20 mill should almost do it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Carlos Fernandez Luna.

no insider information, just a hunch

For a real raw wildcard 21yo Gianluca Sammaca from Sassuolo. Benfica tried in Jan. Milan/Marseille interested. Bags of raw potential.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
With that Sentiment, Zamora never came, and maybe because of it, neither did promotions or sitting in the PL today? who can say...... but because of that loan, he signed twice and is rightly imortalised as a club legend.

No loan no Lloyd Owusu and no great escape.

Who is to say that whatever player we may get on loan, doesnt fire us into a much better place, and then wants to stay or is then sold? just like Bobby?

Improving the first team this season or not. That is the only metric (from which our final position depends).
Circumstances are very different now. Back then I was happy with loans for strikers.

Now I am dead set against loaning young strikers from other PL teams to develop them for the parent club. It just sets back the development of our players, particularly Connolly in this case.

I'm very against signing Brewster.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Gomez / Cordoba are my favoured shouts on this thread. Yes, please.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Circumstances are very different now. Back then I was happy with loans for strikers.

Now I am dead set against loaning young strikers from other PL teams to develop them for the parent club. It just sets back the development of our players, particularly Connolly in this case.

I'm very against signing Brewster.

I dont get that perspective. We are not here to develop Brewster, but have him join a squad from which the best 11 will be picked each week. Last season Connolly had a drastic drop in form, he couldnt buy a goal, combine that with any type of injury to Maupay and youre sleep walking into the championship because of such sentiment.

Nobody is holding back Connolly, he wont be ignored and if he's bang on form he will be picked, but keeping the bar lower or deliberately not taking a chance to raise it, simply to accommodate others is dangerous.

We need 4 quality strikers all capable of scoring and all capable of making the shirt their own. Some will be out of form, some will be injured or suspended, every one has the same opportunity. So why cut your nose to spite your face?. Before we were trying to get out league 2 when Zamora came on loan, to stop being relegated from L1 with Owusu and now to stay in the PL and hopefully kick on with someone like Brewster. The leagues/times may change the rules of the game dont.

Iron sharpens Iron, Loyalty to those out of form or not good enough = relegation.
And that applies to everyone. Why fear Brewster? Is he good enough or not? its a simple yes/no

I really love Connolly and if Connolly is better or playing better he'll play imho, He has to compete for his place with the R.O.I based on the same competition as that.

I still think this season regardless he'll be used tactically and not every game, he's still young and learning too. If anything I could see the two of them (Connolly/Brewster) really helping each other and pushing each other on.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I like Weghorst but he is at Wolfsburg, meaning he would be very expensive plus he is a bit too much of the "immovable object" type of player, not very dynamic unlike i.e. McBurnie. Similar to the other Dutch tower, Bas Dost. Sure would be a good pinchhitter (as they call the tall supersub in Holland) but probably too expensive not to be a starter.

Karlan Grant would be interesting but seems to be pretty quiet around him.

Weghorst was my shout as a Glenn replacement but I can't see us paying £30m (or thereabouts) for a 28 year old. As mentioned subsequently, Cordoba would be a less expensive option given his contract situation. I am sure we have it in hand anyway.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Having just freed up the best part of £200k a week in wages, why not go crazy and sign a proper A list striker?

Diego Costa has just 1 season left on his contract. As does Vincent Aboubakar at Porto. Neither would cost more than £20m.

Or from the bargain bucket, Mario Mandzukic is available on a free. As is Daniel Sturridge.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Could money be an issue this transfer window? With clubs having to repay some of the TV money from last season and the potential loss of over £1m per home game without crowds (for us I believe) maybe there isn't as much in the kitty as we would want. Can't spend what you haven't got unless you're Man City.

I do expect us to sign somebody in all seriousness but reckon this transfer window's spend will be half of what we have spent in the 3 previous summers. Just my view.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Marcus Thurham please, no idea how much he’d cost or if he’s available. Strong, quick and young, plays wide and centrally so ticks quite a few boxes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here