Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So it's all on hold

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
This is what Bozza posted last week. His sources said there was the possibility a gem of a signing coming up, and that was after Kuszczak and Bridge, and wasn't going to refer to Vicente coming home.

It does look like we may have failed to get what Gus was after there (if Bozza's sources were right in the first place), so back to the drawing board.

That would be a shame if true - but there is still time for Gus to pull another two rabbits out of the hat. It would be intriguing to know, however, who the gem was and to see where he ends up.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
And when you're wrong will you run from Brighton station to Palace Pier wearing just a mankini?

Edited: And if you're wrong will you run from Brighton station to the Pier wearing just a Palace mankini?

Rad is sound and a genuine bloke, i personally believe he has posted in good faith

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This is what Bozza posted last week. His sources said there was the possibility a gem of a signing coming up, and that was after Kuszczak and Bridge, and wasn't going to refer to Vicente coming home.

It does look like we may have failed to get what Gus was after there (if Bozza's sources were right in the first place), so back to the drawing board.

Little point in giving up on the GEM for now. Lots of hints that the end of the week is the timeframe for the next player.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I don't think so @Triggaar, in the same way Vicentes agent used the press, in fact everybody does. Gus has hand fed Naylor what he wants him to write to get the word out there, as part of trying to limit the cost of said "Gem", with negotiations ongoing.

it seems people think we are loaded and try and bump the price, having the Argus write this is all part of the game imho

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That would be a shame if true - but there is still time for Gus to pull another two rabbits out of the hat.
He'll certainly get another player or two by the end of the summer, but he's not in full control of how good they are. They could be good, or they could be great.
It would be intriguing to know, however, who the gem was and to see where he ends up.
Unless we get someone as good, I'd rather not know.
Little point in giving up on the GEM for now. Lots of hints that the end of the week is the timeframe for the next player.
Where are these hints from? Sounds like you're clutching at straws.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think so @Triggaar, in the same way Vicentes agent used the press, in fact everybody does. Gus has hand fed Naylor what he wants him to write to get the word out there, as part of trying to limit the cost of said "Gem", with negotiations ongoing.
That could be true, and of course I hope you're right. But it wouldn't be necessary if negotiations were going well and to be honest, i don't think it would work if they weren't (ie, a gem could pick and choose anyway).

If the gem is still on the cards, my guess is that it was never Gus that mentioned it in the first place, and he just wants to keep everything calm until the deal is done. As soon as Bridge was signed, Gus was on Seagulls player and SSN saying he was still after a couple more, but hinted they could seem like a step down after the last couple of signings. That was before Bozza mentioned this gem.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
He'll certainly get another player or two by the end of the summer, but he's not in full control of how good they are. They could be good, or they could be great.
Unless we get someone as good, I'd rather not know.
Where are these hints from? Sounds like you're clutching at straws.

Not clutching at straws. 2 posters on here with good records have said as much. Still only Wednesday. Plus Bozzas last hint was only last Friday after Bridge signed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Someone asked in another thread where the comment about signing a gem came from. I had a quick look through the argus archives and found that he referred to JFC as a gem, Noone was referred to as a gem. There was talk of a scout unearthing a lower league gem, with the comment that it was about a raw talent that needed to be refined.

It could be this "gem" isn't a big name star player to excite us all right now, but someone who needs the gus touch to get the best from him, so the gem signing might not be an exciting one initially.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Someone asked in another thread where the comment about signing a gem came from. I had a quick look through the argus archives and found that he referred to JFC as a gem, Noone was referred to as a gem. There was talk of a scout unearthing a lower league gem, with the comment that it was about a raw talent that needed to be refined.

It could be this "gem" isn't a big name star player to excite us all right now, but someone who needs the gus touch to get the best from him, so the gem signing might not be an exciting one initially.

but this alleged Gem has also been referred as "spectacular" by Bozza and even Darren Balkham has said it will be huge....... which is not condusive to some player from league 2 with potential.

it will be a big and/or successful player IF it comes off

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup - call it a "gem", "massive signing" "spectacular" or "unexpected" - there IS clearly a big name we are after, and perhaps close to getting.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not clutching at straws. 2 posters on here with good records have said as much.
I said 'Where are these hints from? Sounds like you're clutching at straws.' - so if these hints are from good sources, great, I'm just asking where it was said. Can you post a link?

Still only Wednesday. Plus Bozzas last hint was only last Friday after Bridge signed.
Yes, fair point. I still don't see why Gus had to say anything though. Given our wage limits, we can't play hardball with gems, we can only try and sell them on what we're trying to do here. They either buy into it, or they don't, it's not like they can't go to any other club if they wanted.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
but this alleged Gem has also been referred as "spectacular" by Bozza and even Darren Balkham has said it will be huge....... which is not condusive to some player from league 2 with potential.

it will be a big and/or successful player IF it comes off

I'm not saying we're not going to sign someone big, just highlighting that when gus says 'gem' he might not be referring to that big signing. Hypothetically, we could sign Ronaldo for 2 years and some league two player with potential for 4 years, and Gus might view the league two player as the gem because he is to be refined?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
???

Attachments

• gem-peapod-red.jpg
    gem-peapod-red.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
  • cover-front.jpg
    cover-front.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 25

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010

It was a direct quote from Gus about a player on the same level as Vicente. May have been in the argus, or on seagulls player, or elsewhere - can't remember exactly.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Bellamy is supposedly going back to Cardiff and for those who thought we could get Ibrahimovich :)lol: :lol: :lol:) I see PSG are offering c£50m (60m euros) for him and Thiago Silva

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here