Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So does anyone have any idea who this striker is that Gus wants to sign??

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I agree with foolg (except about Tudgay.) Bednar would seem the likeliest if Gus's pal RDM gives him a good reference. Bound to leave this window with Long, Odemwingie, Tchoyi and Cox at least ahead of him. Won't be a snip though, probably around £1million I'd think.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
This end information has dried up for me at the moment. I have a very good source for transfer gossip etc... Yet he is at a loss as to who the striker is! We are not looking at a CB nor are we persisting with the Lansbury deal as quite evidentally Wenger needs him more than we do. Harley will be signed next week as stated pending international clearance but the two others Gus talks about are a complete unknown.

I would imagine a target man type player, Jamie Mackie has been mentioned, is what we are going for and I wouldn't be surprised to see a full back coming in as Vincelot is proving to be a very effective midfielder that can actually START games in that position. Gus, unlike last year where he ended up with settling for Sandaza after enquiring about a ZILLION strikers, has focused on specific players. The "special" striker he talked about was not CMS as he was banging on about him afterwards. One thing is for sure is that if Gus get's his man it will be down to MONTHS of hard work and the player will be of very high calibre.

Mackie is 5ft 8. And has a broken leg.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The "special" striker he talked about was not CMS as he was banging on about him afterwards. One thing is for sure is that if Gus get's his man it will be down to MONTHS of hard work and the player will be of very high calibre.

I think that was Robbie Keane but David Beckham thwarted that move. We must just wait a few days unless of course he is not contracted to a club and that may take longer than this week. Deadline finishes in about 10 days time so not long to wait to find out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If another Lawrenson comes up for the defence. This means looking for a prospect in lower divisions or abroad. Still Gordon Greer should be good enough for a few seasons. Otherwise a large centre half or a midfielder-forward in the Ray Kennedy style would be an ideal presence.

This players are often recognised playing for third tier sides. That's where we will find young promising players.

It was a worry when Billy Sharp got away from Dunk early on and fired hopelessly high and wide (that's when Sharp already looked injured to me).

Last edited:

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
You can count Jermaine Beckford and Simon Cox out as apparently Leicester are after either both or one of them.

SSN said we had a £2.5million bid rejected for Beckford. Think they wan't nearer £5million.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
This end information has dried up for me at the moment. I have a very good source for transfer gossip etc... Yet he is at a loss as to who the striker is! We are not looking at a CB nor are we persisting with the Lansbury deal as quite evidentally Wenger needs him more than we do. Harley will be signed next week as stated pending international clearance but the two others Gus talks about are a complete unknown.

I would imagine a target man type player, Jamie Mackie has been mentioned, is what we are going for and I wouldn't be surprised to see a full back coming in as Vincelot is proving to be a very effective midfielder that can actually START games in that position. Gus, unlike last year where he ended up with settling for Sandaza after enquiring about a ZILLION strikers, has focused on specific players. The "special" striker he talked about was not CMS as he was banging on about him afterwards. One thing is for sure is that if Gus get's his man it will be down to MONTHS of hard work and the player will be of very high calibre.
Do you know who the special striker was?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Will it be another cash signing or a Premiership loanee?

Personally I would like to see Benik Afobe down here from Arsenal on loan, I think he would be an excellent addition to our set of strikers.

Pretty certain Gus rules out a young Prem loaned when the 5 sub rule came in... Would think it'll be permanent.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've got to say, the only player who is making me nervous at the moment is Painter. Unfortunately.

Last season his speed of thought got him through games, he was incredibly consistent, and our Mr Reliable. This season, in the three games I've seen- OK maybe not Gillingham- he seems to have been caught out a lot of times, and his lack of pace has been shown up somewhat. I was surprised Blackpool didn't target him more in the second half as he did appear to be the weak link.

I'm very much hoping it's just a form thing (nervously so, as the Swansea fans talking about him after the Cardiff game mentioned his lack of pace loads of times) and he'll pick up a bit, as he certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped yet. But he's not quite been at the races so far, for my money.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've got to say, the only player who is making me nervous at the moment is Painter. Unfortunately.

Last season his speed of thought got him through games, he was incredibly consistent, and our Mr Reliable. This season, in the three games I've seen- OK maybe not Gillingham- he seems to have been caught out a lot of times, and his lack of pace has been shown up somewhat. I was surprised Blackpool didn't target him more in the second half as he did appear to be the weak link.

I'm very much hoping it's just a form thing (nervously so, as the Swansea fans talking about him after the Cardiff game mentioned his lack of pace loads of times) and he'll pick up a bit, as he certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped yet. But he's not quite been at the races so far, for my money.

Very much agree with this, Painter has been skinned too many times already this season, and we've yet to come up against the best wingers. I think this was part of Gus' thinking in bring Lua Lua on yesterday as his pace provided much needed cover (as good as Noone is, he doesn't get back as quickly as Kazenga).

As for the mystery striker, unless the special one arrives I'd be happy with Lomana on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here