Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So does anyone have any idea who this striker is that Gus wants to sign??

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
He's not a winger, he's a versatile midfielder who looks like he can score goals

who is already playing in a Prem side!!

why would they loan him out?

Lush

Mods' Pet
we do have two experienced defenders, Greer and El-Abd. in both cases it was more positioning, Greer misjudged the flight and timing of the first and in the second no one was ready for a second ball/knock down, while Phillips un-marked having quietly peeled off from the crowd. down to coaching or ability/quality rather than experience?

though we are light in center back, injury to Greer or Dunk right now would leave us with... Vincelot?

Cook? Seems to have done well pre-season.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
According to a few mates Bellamy has agreed to join a club, but the club is defo not a Prem league club, that said i just seen that Sunderland may be in for him now. But my mate was certain he was not staying in the prem and not going to Celtic

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I took "having presence" to mean a dominant type with a bit of strength and aerial prowess, viz something different to what we have. Baldock is a slight lad and 5 ft 7. Very good player obviously but I can't see how he adds to our options at all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Grenville Adam J. le Fondre

6ft 24 year old. Fits the typical Poyet profile.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
According to http://www.givemefootball.com/pfa-transfer-list

Marcus Bent, Pablo Counago, Eddie Johnson and Shefki Kuqi are all available on a free. Most of them have Prem experience except Counago who has championship experience. Well worth a look for a free.
I would sooner sign Lomana Lua Lua for a month or possibly 3 than any of those to allow Hoskins to get fit and over his injury. When he is back to full fitness we do not need another striker.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Id quite like someone like Ryan Lowe from Bury or Sam Baldock from Franchise team, two players who young and hungry for success and seem good on the ball

Compared to me he is as he is only 32 but not young in football terms and also not a proven goalscorer other than in lower leagues as per many in the past who couldn't go above that level.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I would sooner sign Lomana Lua Lua for a month or possibly 3 than any of those to allow Hoskins to get fit and over his injury. When he is back to full fitness we do not need another striker.

he would be a good signing if he would come to us. Certainly experienced. Question over fitness?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
he would be a good signing if he would come to us. Certainly experienced. Question over fitness?

On a short contract and as an option to come off of the bench if Barnes or CMS are not working, sorry producing the goods is a better term, I don't think fitness would be a problem for 30 mins or so.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shirley, its not about needing another stiker, nor someone hungry or young - we have plenty of prospective talent. its about needing a different type of player up front, someone who can play with their back to goal, hold up the ball, offer more arial ability (cross/corners rather than necessarily long). thats what the "presence" is all about.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Id quite like someone like Ryan Lowe from Bury or Sam Baldock from Franchise team, two players who young and hungry for success and seem good on the ball

Sam Baldock would be a complete waste of funds. Decent player granted, but why spend £1m+ (which is what Peterborough bid) on a player that's EXACTLY the same as what we have in Barnes, CMS and Hoskins.

Gus said a striker with PRESENCE, Baldock is 5ft7.

My opinion? Bednar, Tudgay or Helgusson.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
shirley, its not about needing another stiker, nor someone hungry or young - we have plenty of prospective talent. its about needing a different type of player up front, someone who can play with their back to goal, hold up the ball, offer more arial ability (cross/corners rather than necessarily long). thats what the "presence" is all about.

An experienced older striker to come off of the bench if needed. As you say we have plenty of promise and prospects but no plan B should plan A not be working. Ormeroyd yesterday was a classic example of what we need. Big, strong and good in the air, not him because he is overweight and not mobile enough but a Neil Mellor type striker.

Last edited:

This end information has dried up for me at the moment. I have a very good source for transfer gossip etc... Yet he is at a loss as to who the striker is! We are not looking at a CB nor are we persisting with the Lansbury deal as quite evidentally Wenger needs him more than we do. Harley will be signed next week as stated pending international clearance but the two others Gus talks about are a complete unknown.

I would imagine a target man type player, Jamie Mackie has been mentioned, is what we are going for and I wouldn't be surprised to see a full back coming in as Vincelot is proving to be a very effective midfielder that can actually START games in that position. Gus, unlike last year where he ended up with settling for Sandaza after enquiring about a ZILLION strikers, has focused on specific players. The "special" striker he talked about was not CMS as he was banging on about him afterwards. One thing is for sure is that if Gus get's his man it will be down to MONTHS of hard work and the player will be of very high calibre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here