Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So am I the only person here who will be supporting Crawley on Saturday?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
They are Crystal Palace with special needs - thats a no!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
So what if they are local? They have never had any sort of rivalry with us and even if they go up next year they will still most likely be 2 leagues below us. They have very limited potential, they won't erode our fan base in the slightest, and they are playing Man United. I don't particularly like them, but I cannot for the life of me figure out why there is so much hatred all of a sudden. As far as I'm concerned, I hope they beat Man U, and we draw them away next round for an easy passage to Wembley.

Come on Crawley!

Well I like to think you're the only person in Hurstpierpoint.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I will be supporting them. I like underdogs and I would support them in the same way I supported Horsham on their cup run a few years ago- they are a small local to me club having a fun day out

This. Hope they don't disgrace themselves by losing badly. But honestly can't see them winning. Good luck to them. :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How can having another League club in Sussex NOT have an impact on our fanbase? Small or negligible impact maybe, but to say it won't affect is 'in the slightest' is a bit of a cavalier attitude IMO. And if we're heading up towards the corporate world of the Championship and beyond they may be a rival attraction for those who like 'real' league football: terraces, cheap tickets etc.

The only effect it'll have is 'meaning our base will increase less than it otherwise would' i.e. any possible loss from north sussex will be more than offset by the gains we make along the coast. People are worrying over nothing, and crawley's success certainly wont cause our fan base to reduce from where it currently is.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Funnily enough, I only support one team - I really do not understand how it is possible to support more than one team, your team is YOUR team and to say otherwise makes you no better than a Surrey based armchair chelski fan who's never been to Stamford Bridge IMHO

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Really and truly, being completely HONEST I really, really dont care who wins or who loses.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The only effect it'll have is 'meaning our base will increase less than it otherwise would' i.e. any possible loss from north sussex will be more than offset by the gains we make along the coast. People are worrying over nothing, and crawley's success certainly wont cause our fan base to reduce from where it currently is.
So it will have an effect then - and also you're assuming everyone from the coast wants to go to the Amex as opposed to wanting to see lower-league football. And it's not really a question of 'worrying'. I certainly don't believe Barry Lloyd had it right when he said that if Crawley ever got into the League they'd 'bury us for support', and I don't expect to see replica Crawley shirts on the streets of places like Hassocks any time soon. They'll be more like a splinter under the skin.

And we do know of at least one Brighton fan (the Horsham fan club guy, see other thread) who has turned his back on the Albion in favour of Crawley. I'm sure there are some others, so Crawley's success has already had a minor impact on our fanbase!

bluestt

Feb 18, 2011
It's a tricky one, it really is. If i had to choose it'd be United I'd side with, but I sort of hate myself a little bit for saying that at the same time. Definition of a dilemma!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So it will have an effect then - and also you're assuming everyone from the coast wants to go to the Amex as opposed to wanting to see lower-league football. And it's not really a question of 'worrying'. I certainly don't believe Barry Lloyd had it right when he said that if Crawley ever got into the League they'd 'bury us for support', and I don't expect to see replica Crawley shirts on the streets of places like Hassocks any time soon. They'll be more like a splinter under the skin.

And we do know of at least one Brighton fan (the Horsham fan club guy, see other thread) who has turned his back on the Albion in favour of Crawley. I'm sure there are some others, so Crawley's success has already had a minor impact on our fanbase!

Thats a load of wank though isn't it... he probably has a season ticket, and who can blame him for wanting to attend one of the biggest FA cup games in quite some time?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Thats a load of wank though isn't it... he probably has a season ticket, and who can blame him for wanting to attend one of the biggest FA cup games in quite some time?

But its not a big game for anyone bar the Crawley fans. We have our own big game going on.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, I don't blame him, but if Crawley had been knocked out he wouldn't have had to make the choice. And I can also think of other times when people might want to see a successful Crawley team as opposed to Brighton.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the whole "eroding the fanbase" point is moot. Sussex is a massive county with one league side, we've had a clear run for years and we should be able to cope with another league side as, indeed, most other football league clubs manage to do.

It'll make no difference to me whether Crawley win or get tonked 8-NIL. However, I would never have wanted Horsham to lose 8-NIL to Swansea a few years back. I think Crawley is a chavvy place that's basically an encroachment of Croydon into North Sussex, and their poor player conduct in the last round and pitiful FA Cup video reinforces the view they're a club it will be easy to dislike. I also suspect if they make it into the Football League one of the first chants to be heard will be "We hate Brighton".

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
_39403399_gits203.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here