Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ski/snowboarding holidays

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
right, my girlfriend and i are planning to go skiing or snowboarding in december, i've never been before..........so, where is best to go and where should i go to book it,

needs to be as cheap as possible

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Whistler

I'd try First choice first, the're pretty good

:thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
what with global warming shite its best to do a late deal to where the snow is...thats what I do. But seeing as you're asking on NSC I guess that your a n00b! so anywhere at high altitude in the Alps would be good in December...all replies on either snow falling or the resort in question having bloody good snow canons!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
right, my girlfriend and i are planning to go skiing or snowboarding in december, i've never been before..........so, where is best to go and where should i go to book it,

needs to be as cheap as possible

If you are skiing for the first time, it,s a good idea to take few private lessons in the UK before you go. It,s expensive, but will mean you can go out skiing first day, rather than spend all week in a ski-school...(which are fun, but are pretty slow).

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
If you are skiing for the first time, it,s a good idea to take few private lessons in the UK before you go. It,s expensive, but will mean you can go out skiing first day, rather than spend all week in a ski-school...(which are fun, but are pretty slow).

yeah, kind of thought that, where's the nearest dry slope?

(im in hove)

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Absolutely agree. I did that the first time I went and was so glad I did. I went with a mate who went to the ski school and by the end of the week he was only just getting to where I had started from.

I've since been on intermediate level schools when they were included in the price and It's not that the schools are bad but just that the pace is so slow.

If you want cheap it's got to be Europe really. I've been to Val Thorens on a late deal and that was really good. I've been told the area around Tignes is also good.

Don't even consider Canada or America as they will be very expensive. However they are worth every penny as the skiing and facilities are generally superb.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
yeah, kind of thought that, where's the nearest dry slope?

(im in hove)

I'd recommend trying to get yourself up to one of the e indoor snow slopes in Tamworth (Snowdome) or (I think) Milton Keynes. Excellent for beginners.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't even consider Canada or America as they will be very expensive. However they are worth every penny as the skiing and facilities are generally superb.

skiing in canada/usa is only a little bit more than a european holiday these days, it's just a long way to fly that's all.

december often isn't a great month, the snow base doesn't usually build until mid Jan. it can be good but if you have the choice I'd put off going for a few weeks.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
There are practice ski slopes in Hailsham which are relatively cheap. I would definately recommend lessons but once you get the hang of it you will be fine, I was parallel skiing on my third day, all you need to no what to do is stop really!
I went to Austria on a school trip and it was pretty good there and probably cheaper than Italy etc.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
My son and friends decided, after years snowboarding in the Alps, to splash out and go to Whistler in January. As it happens, it's not going to cost much more than going to the French Alps.

But do take lessons first. I went to the dry ski school at Newhaven and it was well worth it because every day of my skiing holiday was spent doing just that rather than footling around on nursery slopes learning the basics.

I didn't start skiing until about six years ago when I was in my late forties although my wife went when at school and before she was enticed by me. Went to Passo Tonale in Italy over Christmas; it was really cold and didn't snow much whilst we were there. However, it had the previous week and the snow cannons were fine. The nursery slopes were good for beginners. Coach transfer from/to Bergamo Airport sticks in my mind as being a bit crappy (and long) although it could have been the early starts and/or having flown with Monarch. Had some lessons on the artificial slop at Bracknell before we went but that's a long way from Hove and/or Bristol.
Have since been twice to Kranjska Gora in Slovenia but later in the season both times (early Feb). Absolutely brill for beginners/intermediates, didn't think it was expensive and the Slovenes are a good bunch. Could be a snow problem though in December as the Julian Alps are lower than the 'Main' Alps but you can look all this up - the cannon snow was fine when needed. We booked with Crystal and flew from LGW on a scheduled flight with the Slovenian national carrier to Ljubljana both times; Easyjet also go there but I think it's from Luton or Stansted; from memory, I think the coach transfer time to KG is about 40 mins.
Enjoy yourself but I'd get some decent ski gear - ie clothes, gloves, goggles before you go. Thermal 'undies' are a must.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I would echo everything already said here, Have lessons before you leave and look for a "snow sure resort" I can personally reccomend Val Thoren and also La Plagne/les Arc is VERY good for begginers and has a good snow record too in France. In Italy Cervinia and Livigno are both good snow sure resorts and have a good range of begginer slopes.
Axamer Lizum in Austria is aimed at begginers as it is all inclusive ski hire, ski school,lift pass, flights, transfers, accomadation and all your food but you would need to leave it late to book and check the snow reports as it is quite a low resort
www.skiclub.co.uk
I find this is a very good website for choosing where to go it has snow reports plus loads of reviews etc.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can personally reccomend Val Thoren and also La Plagne/les Arc is VERY good for begginers and has a good snow record too in France. In Italy Cervinia and Livigno are both good snow sure resorts and have a good range of begginer slopes.

Agree. My first 2 ski trips as a complete novice were La Plagne 1st year, and Cervinia 2nd. Both very good for beginers.

Saying that Tignes is a huge ski area (L'Espace Killy) and has plenty of easy blue runs covering a large area. Very good chance of December snow as well because of the height of the resort. Over the last 12 years or so I've been to France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland, but I've been to Tignes 3 times now, and it is by far and away my favourite resort.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I learnt to snowboard in La Plagne and mastered it in Wengen. La Plagne is ugly as sin (like Harlow on Ice) but great for learning. Once you get the hang of it get yourself out to Chamonix.

Good luck.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Looking at les arcs 1800, anyone been?

my girlfriend currently lives in exeter so we're going to hit the dry slope there.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Looking at les arcs 1800, anyone been?

yer I went last feb, though I broke my knee on the first day so I can't really tell you what the slopes are like, though I think there OK

The apres ski is pretty crappy mind !!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if you want something completely random, fly easyjet to Malaga and go to Sierra Nevada!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here