Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ski/snowboarding holidays

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Looking at les arcs 1800, anyone been?

my girlfriend currently lives in exeter so we're going to hit the dry slope there.

Its Ok there, and plenty of places to ski.......(?Les Arc 2100). Take plenty of "pocket money" though.....the French do tend to sting you for drink and food on the slopes.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've not stayed in Les Arc but I have skied it and there will be plenty for you to ski and if you get bored you can jump on the Vanoise express and head over to La Plagne.
Both La Plange and Les Arc are built in stages up the mountain and have free bus shuttles to the different Heights of resort

Caravan Club

Jul 28, 2004
Tunbridge Wellsb
I have been skiing in Bulgaria, France, Switzerland, Scotland and Colorado.

If you want cheap and cheerful then I would recommennd Bulgaria, although like Slovenia mention earlier it is definately a place for later in the season as the mountains are lower and therefore early snow is not guaranteed.

France is expensive for things like food and they really don't have a clue about simple things like queues!!!! Be prepared to elbow young French oiks and to stand on the back of their skis after they have shoved past you for the umpteenth time.

I went to Switzerland (Kandersteg) once and all I can remember was that it was permanently in shade and therefore extremely cold. You can take the train through the 13KM tunnel to another resort which is far bigger and thankfully warmer.

Scotland - don't even bother!! Far too unpredictable to actually book something.

Colorado (Breckenridge) - skiing in the US was a complete eye opener after Europe. Acres and acres of empty pistes, organised queuing with marshalls to ensure that no seat goes up half empty, a singles queue so that if you just want to get back up quick then you just get dumped on a seat where there is space. Not like the French who hold up the queue so that the entire three generations can share a seat!!! The downside is the nine hour flight to Denver and then the drive up to the mountains (always in driving snow when I get there!!!).
And best of all get the company to pay because you are attending a training course in Colorado Springs.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Well, we've found a decent deal in tignes, £90 flight, £50 transfer, £100 accommodation and £100 pass/lessons............sounds pretty good to me- (i'm going to borrow my brothers board and gear)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Well, we've found a decent deal in tignes, £90 flight, £50 transfer, £100 accommodation and £100 pass/lessons............sounds pretty good to me- (i'm going to borrow my brothers board and gear)

Excellent chioce. Tignes = :thumbsup:

*stomps off in jealous huff*

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
yep Tignes is a quality place, theres a great Red Run leading to the town and you simply MUST go to the top at 3456m to take in the view with Mont Blanc clearly visible. Although as you're a beginner get the cable car back down cos those Black runs are nasty :thumbsup:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Some pictures to WHET your appetite from my trip to Tignes in 2004 I think, maybe 2003 cant quite remember!

#1 = Me posing in the town before a night on the lash
#2 = One of the green runs
#3 = View of the Town from slightly above
#4 = mmmm powder fields!

edit: WHOOPS abit big but bigger the better hey!

Attachments

• CNV00023.JPG
    CNV00023.JPG
    685.6 KB · Views: 81
  • CNV00013.JPG
    CNV00013.JPG
    600.2 KB · Views: 81
  • CNV00018.JPG
    CNV00018.JPG
    522.4 KB · Views: 80
  • CNV00021.JPG
    CNV00021.JPG
    502 KB · Views: 81

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
looks cooooooooooool!! cheers for those

how long will it take me to get OK at snowboarding? i used to ride bmx so i have pretty good balance........

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Ok, almost booked a week in tignes- but have noticed the transfer from lyon is over 4 bloody hours............

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Ok, almost booked a week in tignes- but have noticed the transfer from lyon is over 4 bloody hours............

Isn't Geneva closer ?

I seem to remember its about 3 hours ???

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
We normally try for Chambéry airport when skiing Tignes. 2.5 hours transfer.

Lots of info here http://www.tignesnet.com/faq.php?id_faq_type=85#497

"Chambéry airport is the closest airport to use for Tignes at just over 2½ hours away on a good day by motorway and then by mountain road. Chambéry is used by several UK tour operators and there are some low-cost carriers who use it too, but usually just on weekends.

Next up is Geneva and Lyon St. Exupéry (Satolas) each being 3½ and 4¼ hours away respectively."

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
It really depends on what you want out of the holiday 7days hard skiing/ wild nights/ traditional resort etc.
In December I would not go anywhere in Europe except France the lack of snow is usually a problem that early in the season. The downer with France is the nightlife can be a bit flat and the resorts are purpose built so don't look so good. Book a basic course at the Xcape Milton Keynes it will be worth it. Look at La Plagne, Les Arc and Tignes for starters.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Chambery is closer and the best option for most French resorts, but the trip from Lyon is nearly motorway all the way it can be more like 3 hours if traffic is good.

Borading is easier to pick up 3-4 days, skiiing takes a bit longer but it's what the real men do!

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
We normally try for Chambéry airport when skiing Tignes. 2.5 hours transfer.

Lots of info here http://www.tignesnet.com/faq.php?id_faq_type=85#497

"Chambéry airport is the closest airport to use for Tignes at just over 2½ hours away on a good day by motorway and then by mountain road. Chambéry is used by several UK tour operators and there are some low-cost carriers who use it too, but usually just on weekends.

Next up is Geneva and Lyon St. Exupéry (Satolas) each being 3½ and 4¼ hours away respectively."

yeah, i've seen that- problem is we're now getting a package (works out cheaper) and we have to fly to lyons,

but hey ho................

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
http://www.travelaction.co.uk/

Only just seen your thread so maybe a tad late, but if your present plans don't work out give these guys a call.

Local firm who are really helpful. Try and speak to Paul as he's the boss and a friend. Say 'rabs' put you in touch and you'll get the best deal.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here