Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six released, four to be offered deals (Merged)

Frank Inkerman

Veteran of the Crimea
A bit daft that we have to take these decisions before a new manager comes in, but I guess that's what happens when your manager leaves because you've undermined his authority two years in a row. Clearly no lessons learned from last year - smacks of arrogance on behalf of the powers that be.
The "Retained List" has to be with the Football League by Friday - unlikely to be a new manager in place by then.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yep, strange with Hoskins pay all the money to get him fit then let him go, maybe a 6 month deal to see how he goes.

I think as much as anything he wasn't happy at the club, feing that being fit he should have had his chance.
In truth I would feel the same I think but heard a whisper that he fell out with the coaching team so maybe his departure was inevitable given that his injury woes seem likely to make him a risk wherever he goes.
No question he has skill to burn but not sure how consistently he will be able to apply it.
Bit like Orlandi, LuaLua, CMS, Buckley...... too many in the same sort of areas O f the pitch for the club/budget to reasonably carry

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Hoskins is the only player I'm disappointed to see leave. Strange how we spent all that money for nothing.

I do find it odd that we give him a new contract whilst he has the injury only to let him go as soon as he has recovered. Very benevolent of the club.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Derby didn't .... they announced some movers and shakers before we played them in the first leg ....

Were in the 1st team squad for the play-off games with us? I would be VERY surprised if they announced they were being released and then tried to get a performance out of them in the biggest games of the season.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
Peter Brezovan - Not good enough for this level. Think Ankergren is a slightly better keeper tbh so the right choice. Thank you for all you've done Sexy Pete.

Will Hoskins - Gutted he's gone. Must be one of the unluckiest players in Albion history. He'll go to the L1 play-off winners IMO. Think it was the right decision though.

Tomasz Kuszczak - his form has taken a tumble in recent weeks. You'd expect somebody fighting for a contract to come out and play well. He hasn't. Think he mentally left the club months ago.

Andrea Orlandi - A very skillful player, no doubt about it but injury prone and very hit and miss this season. Sad to see him leave but the right call again IMO.

David Lopez - Been pony this season. I'll also remember how good he was last year, but not at the level we're aiming for anymore.

David Rodriguez - Wasn't needed the second CMS was fit again.

I honestly think the club have been spot on with who they have released. Lopez, PIG and Orlandi were probably some of our highest earners too.

Sell a couple of the players who aren't up to the job, give the new manager a decent transfer kitty and a say on who we bring in and I think we'll challenge for top 6 next season before cakestrolling the league in the 15/16 season.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If that is true, then nor can I.

Nothing on the list that particularly sticks out for me although possibly letting Kusch go. I know he can't kick and has got a bit of a catching problem recently :blush: but for ages I have believed him to be the best shot-stopper in the league.

My biggest issue by far is how I am going to break news of those let go to the kids. :eek:

Think you answered ur own question.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This may not be a bad thing to release a number of players who were either wanting to leave anyway or were crocked more than they played. Provides us with a great opportunity to strengthen the squad and start afresh with a new manager. There isn't a huge panic to get replacements in immediately and a well connected new manager is going to want a few of his own signings.

It's a shame about Orlandi but he didn't look the same player since his injury.

TK was likely going of his own choosing anyway so thanks for all you did. Brezovan never lived up to expectations and his release opens the door for Walton to progress. I can understand keeping Ankergren, he is easily our best goalkeeper for distribution and controlling the game when that is needed. Unfortunately there aren't many 'perfect' goalkeepers at our end of the market. In fact not many at the top end either-look at some of the gaffs Hart makes. As others have said, maybe he'll be involved more in a coaching role and available to play if needed.

This is going to be an interesting summer that's for sure and we need our manager in place as soon as possible.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Not surprising and, also unsurprisingly, not too concerning.

Koosh - Arguably the best keeper we've had but on the decline recently
Brez - Backup at best
Hoskins - Potentially brilliant but injury a big stumbling block
Orlandi - Hardly played this season and mostly anonymous when on the pitch
Lopez - Same as Orlandi
Rodriguez - Ditto Orlandi and Lopez

The wages this will free up, along with the January transfer money, must now go back into the squad.

he will never be fit. Ever.

Its the corect call clearly

You may be right Marshy, but what we did see of him was enough to make me think he would be a very good player, good enough in fact that Palace were going to swap him with Murray.

As an aside, do you think your wife is right?

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Those players on the retained list, are they definitely staying? Haven't they just been OFFERED new contracts? What if they don't like what they've been offered or are offered something better by another club?

Also, re Calderon. I agree he's a club legend, but he's too slow to be a Championship defender now (as demonstrated most recently against Derby). Can see him doing an El Abd next season...

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
When I first read that piece a few minutes ago and saw TB thanking Will, I thought we'd released Buckley. Completely forgot about Hoskins who will no doubt go elsewhere and become a leading goal scorer...

I am disappointed to see Hoskins go. There was a lot of promise in what he did show in his few opportunities but maybe they had had enough as he was playing in the Dev squad before CMS but still never got in the 1st team action - hurt again?

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Suggests the combo of Bruno/Calde will continue next season ? That's a weak area for me (there are many!), Bruno is inconsistent & injury prone and as much as I love him Calde isn't a Championship starting FB week in week out.
Stunned that Ankergren has a new deal - If they don't want to keep PiG then I'd much prefer to sign a new No.1 and have Walton as No. 2, if needs be dip into the loan market if Walton proves not up to it.
Hoskins is a shame, I think he is a quality striker but so long out over 3 years I can understand why he's gone.

Pray that Upson feels he's up to another year and wants to stay, would like to see him starting with Dunk.

Still think there are more that will go out of the rest before the season starts - Agustien, Maksimenko, maybe CMS/Buckley if we could get enough cash for them to finance new signings.

So after all that, bare minimum requirements for new signings ?, 1 GK, 2 LB's, 2 ATM's, 1DM & 1 STR (at least).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
You may be right Marshy, but what we did see of him was enough to make me think he would be a very good player, good enough in fact that Palace were going to swap him with Murray.

As an aside, do you think your wife is right?

We have literally wasted a fortune on Hoskins, It was good of us to offer him another deal last year in my opinion given his history.

I think the Mrs is wrong, I expect Mackay to take over at West Ham.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The most surprising thing about the official announcement was no mention of Agustien leaving by mutual consent. I wonder if he will be made available as a "free" with his name circulated to other clubs in the transfer window to reduce the wages bill ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here