Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six released, four to be offered deals (Merged)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Clueless.

LOOK at the actual injuries. 2 major ones. Buckley, little niggles every other week. Totally different problems.

Flawless logic that mate, you've truly opened my eyes to your unquestionable wisdom. Buckley with 90+ apps and 20+ goals, he can leave. Hoskins with c20 games in THREE seasons and a grand total of TWO goals, yeah why not, let's give him a 5yr deal. Sorry but his contribution has been the square root of naff all. I feel sorry for him as a person but he is the biggest waste of money we've made in the last 3 years. £500k transfer fee and £5k a week for 3 seasons is >£2m. And I'm the clueless one? Give me strength.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The most surprising thing about the official announcement was no mention of Agustien leaving by mutual consent. I wonder if he will be made available as a "free" with his name circulated to other clubs in the transfer window to reduce the wages bill ?

Maybe they'll give him the opportunity to prove his worth and commitment to the incoming manager? Then release him.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stephen Ward (Wolves contract runs until the end of next season), aged 28, can score goals, 4 in 44 but two recently. Wages could be an issue?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Well, you can count me as one who thinks Hoskins should have been given at least a short-term contract, disappointed to see him let go. And I would have kept Brez rather than Ankergren but I guess there isn't much in it. Rest of it is really no surprises.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Suggests the combo of Bruno/Calde will continue next season ? That's a weak area for me (there are many!), Bruno is inconsistent & injury prone and as much as I love him Calde isn't a Championship starting FB week in week out.
Stunned that Ankergren has a new deal - If they don't want to keep PiG then I'd much prefer to sign a new No.1 and have Walton as No. 2, if needs be dip into the loan market if Walton proves not up to it.
Hoskins is a shame, I think he is a quality striker but so long out over 3 years I can understand why he's gone.

Pray that Upson feels he's up to another year and wants to stay, would like to see him starting with Dunk.

Still think there are more that will go out of the rest before the season starts - Agustien, Maksimenko, maybe CMS/Buckley if we could get enough cash for them to finance new signings.

So after all that, bare minimum requirements for new signings ?, 1 GK, 2 LB's, 2 ATM's, 1DM & 1 STR (at least).

Currently I think we need :

2 GK ( Ankergren offered contract )

2 Right Backs ( Calderon offered contract, Bruno offered contract )
1 Left Back ( Maybe we'll get Ward )
2 Central Defenders ( Upson offered contract )

1 Def Midfielder
1 At Midfielder
Another Midfielder ( assuming Agustien never plays for us again, and is shipped out ).

2 Strikers

And replace any who are transferred out.

Delighted that LuaLua has been retained. Hopefully with a manager genuinely committed to playing attacking football, those two things should massively increase my enjoyment of our football next season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Think they have got that spot on. A reassuringly sensible cull, leaving plenty of room for new bodies in the summer.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
As expected but keeping Casper? Probably because we need at least one goalie on the books currently. Is he better than Brezovan?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Delighted that LuaLua has been retained. Hopefully with a manager genuinely committed to playing attacking football, those two things should massively increase my enjoyment of our football next season.

Much more to the point - can we get Lua Lua 100% fit? And then able to cross a ball? If those two are yes then we have a great player but I have my doubts. Hope so though.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Currently I think we need :

2 GK ( Ankergren offered contract )

2 Right Backs ( Calderon offered contract, Bruno offered contract )
1 Left Back ( Maybe we'll get Ward )
2 Central Defenders ( Upson offered contract )

1 Def Midfielder
1 At Midfielder

2 Strikers

And replace any who are transferred out.

RB - If they sign we are covered
LB - If he signs then great, if not we need cover for / competition to Chicks
CB - + 1 even if Upson signs. Maybe a yuff to replace AEA.
DF - Get the feeling that Andrews may return.
AM - + 1 in the Jesse role.
FD - + 1, they are costly and hard to find. Lets get one top draw scorer in not two 'meh' ones.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Probably been said before, but interesting choice of words.

"and the six players who've been informed it is unlikely they will be offered new deals"

COuld still see a route back for PIG. Let's hope the new manager comes in quick!

ifightbears

Jul 19, 2010
Cornwall
Excellent choices. I think I would of got rid of Bruno also maybe ( I still hope he will not sign the contract). Can anyone confirm augustien has gone?

If we just go sign Joe Cole, Bobby Zamora, a classy right back, resign ward, a huge keeper ( there are so many out there, I really don't think we will have a problem). I honestly think we that would be enough. Okay I am dreaming but, its all about small squads these days.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Unlucky with 2 very bad injuries.

He isn't a sicknote a la Buckley, Vicente, Kitson and I don't think he is lazy a la Agustein, Harley.

It's just very, very short sighted to say that because he hasn't played he isn't worth keeping. He is clearly a good player, looked better than CMS before being injured and when he briefly returned again looked sharp.

That is why he is worth keeping. Bottom line is he will go and score goals for someone else now just like Murray did. We regretted letting him go massively and clearly we havn't learnt from the mistake, this club does terrible transfer business when it comes to strikers.

I honestly cant see him going elsewhere and scoring goals. I can see him going elsewhere and sitting on the medical table for 3 years.

and how is it short sighted to say that he should go because he hasn't played? id expect any other player who hasn't played in 3 years to be more than expecting to be let go. he brings nothing to the team other than false hope and when this hope does, rarely I must add, materialise into him getting game time he does nothing. 2 goals in 21 games speaks for itself and therefore I have no fear with him leaving and becoming the masterpiece some people think he is.

im aware that my opinions may come back to haunt me, but if they do then well played to him as it wil mean he has proved myself and many others very wrong indeed

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Think they have got that spot on. A reassuringly sensible cull, leaving plenty of room for new bodies in the summer.

Yes and, hopefully, leaving the new manager (whoever s/he is, and assuming they are appointed quickly) with enough empty slots in the squad to start filling at least some of them with players he wants and building a unified team pre-season, rather than having to work with a 90% inherited squad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As expected but keeping Casper? Probably because we need at least one goalie on the books currently. Is he better than Brezovan?

There is only possible reason I can think for keeping Casper Ankergen. And that is we are going to get a Danish manager. That would not be a bad idea in my book.

I would like a new keeper called Steele. Don't mind if it is Luke or Jason or both.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm aware of this, it's more the bigger issue of creating an environment that's pushed two managers out that I'm concerned by.

Like this you mean?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26055733

The club's wage bill rose by £6.1 Million. ROSE by £6.1 Million. I'd rather 'push out' managers who don't understand the importance of financial stabilty at this football club. The last time managers were allowed a free rein with contracts and wages on that scale it opened the door for Stanley and Archer. I'll take the club's current approach right now-even if it means managers leave on a regular basis.

Maybe all future manager applicants should be made to write an essay on what they learned from reading 'Build A Bonfire' before they get an interview?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Probably been said before, but interesting choice of words.

"and the six players who've been informed it is unlikely they will be offered new deals"

COuld still see a route back for PIG. Let's hope the new manager comes in quick!

It is just a nicety. Their contracts expire on June 30th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here