Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six Million a Year to make us Worse!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Snide? Moi?

As a matter of fact, I think almost all my comments were made BEFORE England's failure. They were in the thread about who was most likely to win the Cup, the USA or England. About which it seems I was spot on.
You miss the point. We're ALL saying the same stuff, you, me, Easy, etc. I didn't think England would win either, but hope springs eternal as they say. The difference is that we're all England fans whereas you were supporting the USA and North Korea (I think, may have got that wrong). In other words you were like a Palace fan coming on here and saying that Brighton have no chance of getting promoted as we simply aren't good enough and anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. Accurate maybe but we don't like Palace fans saying it - and we ESPECIALLY wouldn't like them to come back at the end oif another disappointing season saying "See? Told you so!"

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Caskey dosent know how lucky he is being at Brighton, the opportunity of first team football for him at his stage of developent under Gus is one the other Under 17 lads at Man U Chelsea etc should be very jealous of in my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I truly beleive the above

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
You miss the point. We're ALL saying the same stuff, you, me, Easy, etc. I didn't think England would win either, but hope springs eternal as they say. The difference is that we're all England fans whereas you were supporting the USA and North Korea (I think, may have got that wrong). In other words you were like a Palace fan coming on here and saying that Brighton have no chance of getting promoted as we simply aren't good enough and anybody who thinks otherwise is delusional. Accurate maybe but we don't like Palace fans saying it - and we ESPECIALLY wouldn't like them to come back at the end oif another disappointing season saying "See? Told you so!"

Wrong on all counts. I wasn't supporting ANYONE at the World Cup, I simply insisted that the USA (who, as I'm sure you know knocked SPAIN out of the Conferderations Cup last year) had as good a chance of winning the WC as England. And I hardly made any comments at all (if any) when England were knocked out, which I thought was very restrained of me.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
We don't have to be:

Under 17s - European Champions
Under 19s - Finalists
Under 21s - Finalists

We clearly have an excellent crop on the way, we should take note of the above as a number of the "new" German stars played in winning U17, U19 and U21 sides.

Ship them all out to Spain NOW.

This is, I think, not a bad idea at all. I think man utd did it with a couple of players going to Belgium a few years ago. If the top English youngsters aren't going to get a game in the premier league then it could be highly advantageous if they could be sent out on loan to a 'lesser' european league. The player gets some first team football, with the added bonus of playing in a league which isn't so fast paced and hectic as the prem, whilst also being taken out of their comfort zone. Then in a year or two they can come back a more fully realised player with a) a better understanding of the game and b) perhaps even a greter appreciation of what they have as a pro in England.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Capello has very little to do with this. The problem comes from the bottom, and will probably never EVER change. It is our pre-occupation with "passion", "commitment" and "desire" over technical ability that will ALWAYS hold us back.

This exists at under 9 level through to adult football at all levels (local league, county league, ryman and professional) and ultimately extends to Premiership level where "lazy" but technically superior players such as Glenn Hoddle, Matt Le Tissier and Joe Cole etc are routinely discarded for 500mph morons who charge around giving the ball away. But, hey they are trying REALLY hard ya know.

Walk past any Sunday league match in the country and you will see people screamed at for daring to pass the ball sideways or backwards, or worse still "fooking about with it". Witness the likes of Glenn Murray and Paul Brooker being screamed at by Albion fans for being "lazy" while thuggish bullies like Danny Cullip are seen as heroes.

The reaction to the Algeria game is a prime example of this. Hordes and hordes of idiots across the country, and loads of them on this message board, bemoaning the lack of "passion" and "heart", as if that had anything whatsoever to do with Wayne Rooney's inability to control a ball, or Frank Lampard not being to pass the ball 5 yards to a team-mate or score from ten yards.

The only solution to this problem would be if several our top players were playing abroad, where skill is encouraged. But I can't see that happening either.

We will never seen an England World Cup win in our lifetimes, and for me the average English fan (booing and howling at a player for attempting as bit of skill) is more to blame for this than anyone.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
My thoughts on England.....so put these words in any order you wish.

flying,I,england,give,about,couldn't,f***,a.

BHA only for me !!!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I love how he suddenly becomes a shit manager on the back of his first ever international tournament. Mistakes made yes, but the players are more to blame than him. They under perform without fail all the time in tournaments. This was no different. How many managers have had such a great qualifying campaign as him?

Defoe sums it up perfectly. "You don't become a bad manager over night".

We'll rape Euro qualification, and slump again. Becuase we're shit. Give it 20 years and Capello's influence in the FA will mean we've trained our kids to world standards and we'll win a trophey.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Walk past any Sunday league match in the country and you will see people screamed at for daring to pass the ball sideways or backwards, or worse still "fooking about with it". Witness the likes of Glenn Murray and Paul Brooker being screamed at by Albion fans for being "lazy" while thuggish bullies like Danny Cullip are seen as heroes.

I didn't scream at Brooker for being lazy, I screamed at him because he couldn't cross the ball.

The only solution to this problem would be if several our top players were playing abroad, where skill is encouraged. But I can't see that happening either.

We will never seen an England World Cup win in our lifetimes, and for me the average English fan (booing and howling at a player for attempting as bit of skill) is more to blame for this than anyone.

Some of us have seen England win in our lifetime.

But, you're right, it's not going to happen again In fact, I think we could look at getting to the Quarter Finals to be an achievement before too long. I don't think fans get most of the blame but they certainly get some of it (along with the players, the clubs, the Premier League, the FA, various governments and the media).

The bit about ENglish players moving to foreign clubs is a good point - how many have done it? And how many have made a success of it? About 15 or 16 big name players have gone to big clubs and very few have been successes. Hitchens? Keegan? Hoddle? Waddle? Hoddle is a good case. Platini said that if he were French, he'd have won 150 caps but was constantly distrusted in England, although he's probably been the most skillful English player of the last 40 years.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Capello has very little to do with this. The problem comes from the bottom, and will probably never EVER change. It is our pre-occupation with "passion", "commitment" and "desire" over technical ability that will ALWAYS hold us back.

This exists at under 9 level through to adult football at all levels (local league, county league, ryman and professional) and ultimately extends to Premiership level where "lazy" but technically superior players such as Glenn Hoddle, Matt Le Tissier and Joe Cole etc are routinely discarded for 500mph morons who charge around giving the ball away. But, hey they are trying REALLY hard ya know.

The reaction to the Algeria game is a prime example of this. Hordes and hordes of idiots across the country, and loads of them on this message board, bemoaning the lack of "passion" and "heart", as if that had anything whatsoever to do with Wayne Rooney's inability to control a ball, or Frank Lampard not being to pass the ball 5 yards to a team-mate or score from ten yards.

One thing, specifically about the Algeria game. Lampard CAN score from 10 yards, Rooney CAN score. They do it week in week out.

Yes we're lacking in technically gifted players, but to say that on the basis of these four games, we don't play technically gifted players is the kind of statement that makes the "we don't need passion we need skill" brigade look like morons. I'm in that brigade, we need to sort out our coaching, at a young level. But to say Rooney, one of the BEST strickers in the world, isn't technically gifted? It beggers belief.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wrong on all counts. I wasn't supporting ANYONE at the World Cup, I simply insisted that the USA (who, as I'm sure you know knocked SPAIN out of the Conferderations Cup last year) had as good a chance of winning the WC as England. And I hardly made any comments at all (if any) when England were knocked out, which I thought was very restrained of me.
Not 'wrong on all counts' at all. 'Hardly' isn't the same as 'none', and looking at your post count 'hardly' would probably about a dozen. And you ARE the equivalent of a Palace fan. Can you not see that?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
One thing, specifically about the Algeria game. Lampard CAN score from 10 yards, Rooney CAN score. They do it week in week out.

Yes we're lacking in technically gifted players, but to say that on the basis of these four games, we don't play technically gifted players is the kind of statement that makes the "we don't need passion we need skill" brigade look like morons. I'm in that brigade, we need to sort out our coaching, at a young level. But to say Rooney, one of the BEST strickers in the world, isn't technically gifted? It beggers belief.

I'm not saying that, I'm saying that the dismal performance against Algeria had NOTHING to do with passion. Fear? Nerves? Pressure? Lack of confidence? But nothing do with passion. Its a meaningless word which is used by people who don't understand football.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
We've gone up one place in the rankings.

:clap2:

HERO Fabio has demonstrated a clear improvement. £6 million pounds well spent. I. for one, will be toasting the FA when I have my lunchtime Magners.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here