Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six Million a Year to make us Worse!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Capello didn't give Rooney the touch of a rapist.
Capello didn't order Lampard, Gerrard, Terry et-al to constantly present the ball to the opposition
Capello didn't instruct the brainless gung-ho suicidal 2nd half charge of the light brigade at 2-1 down

A dispirat bunch of cossetted, self-absorbed, squabbling, bored millionaires who couldn't even rouse themselves to perform for their country on the biggest stage, and who are basically too THICK to adapt themselves to do what is required to win a football match at the highest level. A serial bunch of bottle-jobs.

Capello isn't completely blameless obviously, there were a number of things he could've done differently that may or may not have had an effect. But I'd lay the blame 70/30 at the players door. When push comes to shove, they've got no intelligence, no heart and no bottle.

Exactamundo.

Playing in the wrong formation or wrong position does not allow the players the excuse to lose the ability to control the ball, pass it to a team mate or defend in reasonable manner.

Oct 25, 2003
with all the supposed "might" of the premiership, we've only had 2 champions league winners this century (one of those was Liverpool's ridiculous win in 2005)

yes, we've had semi-finalists and finalists, but surely that shows that as soon as english players come up against anyone who's actually good, they come undone?

if the premiership was THAT good surely a premiership side would win it basically every year?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Blame the players, not Capello.
In fact, just blame John Terry.
That said you need a bit of luck and we didn't get that. One more goal and we would have been in the other half of the draw.

I'd still love him to start afresh without Terry and Lampard.

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
I seem to be in a minority here, but Capello's apparent lack of adaptability really worries me. His insistence to play the unimaginative 4-4-2 despite it not working in the early stages was a pivotal part of our downfall, and unfortunately I don't see this changing in the future. Consequently, I expect us to once again breeze through qualifying, steam rollering generally poor opposition, before failing when push comes to shove against more fluent and technically gifted opposition.

Of course another part of the problem is that the players we currently have are simply not good enough to compete on the highest level. I don't buy any of this rubbish that its a "lack of bottle", "they just don't care" etc, we just don't have players of the same class as Xavi, Iniesta, Robben or Sneijder.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I really hope Capello picks an entirely new YOUNG squad for our next qualifying campaign. Our best players seem to be youngsters that really want to prove themselves and haven't yet got that over-inflated ego which seems to come when they reach about 24
e.g.
Lampard - class act when he first played for England, now just a pile of poo
Terry - used to look like a world class defender for England, steaming pile of turd now
Rooney - even Wayne hasn't been all that for England for a couple of years

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I still find it incredibly embarrassing that the Yanks got eliminated at exactly the same stage as us and their manager is on a fraction of Capello’s ridiculous salary.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I seem to be in a minority here, but Capello's apparent lack of adaptability really worries me. His insistence to play the unimaginative 4-4-2 despite it not working in the early stages was a pivotal part of our downfall, and unfortunately I don't see this changing in the future. Consequently, I expect us to once again breeze through qualifying, steam rollering generally poor opposition, before failing when push comes to shove against more fluent and technically gifted opposition.

Of course another part of the problem is that the players we currently have are simply not good enough to compete on the highest level. I don't buy any of this rubbish that its a "lack of bottle", "they just don't care" etc, we just don't have players of the same class as Xavi, Iniesta, Robben or Sneijder.

Looks like it is only you and me who have concerns about Capello.For whatever reasons he could not get the players to play.Who says that will change...additionally,can he change,can he communicate with the players,is his English up to it?No excuses,we were piss poor against weak opposition prior to being savaged by Germany, who to be honest could have won 7-2.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Looks like it is only you and me who have concerns about Capello.For whatever reasons he could not get the players to play.Who says that will change...additionally,can he change,can he communicate with the players,is his English up to it?No excuses,we were piss poor against weak opposition prior to being savaged by Germany, who to be honest could have won 7-2.

That just doesn't wash.
We qualified easily with some terrific performances on the way, particularly both the games against Croatia. The likes of Algeria were no better than the likes of Belarus in qualifying, and we rolled them over comfortably. Nobody was mentioning any communication issues then.

Fact is, those same players bottled it. They crumpled under the pressure and the glare of the World Cup. Some players can handle it, some players flourish in it - ours don't. They were visibly PETRIFIED by it, and shrivelled accordingly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Dunno. Perhaps you should ask Glenn Hoddle, Graham Taylor, Sven Goran Erriksson, Kevin Keegan and Steve McLaren that question? After all, we were GLORIOUSLY successful in their reigns weren't we?

So we should have kept them perhaps and they could all have a go together with Fabio?A committee of unsuccessful international managers.
I am being a touch sarcastic here,but the fact remains that despite the above 'glorious failures' it still does not mean that Fabio is the right man for the job!

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That just doesn't wash.
We qualified easily with some terrific performances on the way, particularly both the games against Croatia. The likes of Algeria were no better than the likes of Belarus in qualifying, and we rolled them over comfortably. Nobody was mentioning any communication issues then.

Fact is, those same players bottled it. They crumpled under the pressure and the glare of the World Cup. Some players can handle it, some players flourish in it - ours don't. They were visibly PETRIFIED by it, and shrivelled accordingly.

So the structure put together by our super manager Capello with probably the biggest backroom support team ever assembled on the World Cup stage was so ineffective that our players couldn't cope and crumpled under pressure!You can't tell me that there haven't been substantial managerial failures somewhere along the line!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
So the structure put together by our super manager Capello with probably the biggest backroom support team ever assembled on the World Cup stage was so ineffective that our players couldn't cope and crumpled under pressure!You can't tell me that there haven't been substantial managerial failures somewhere along the line!

what has the backroom staff got to do with it? if the players cant deal with the pressure, then you could take one thousand coaches with you and it's not going to help them get over that inability

fcportaloo

Nov 1, 2009
Capello is paid too much. True. So are all top players/managers in English game. Nobody else will do a better job though, it's the players. It will be awhile before Engalnd are anywhere near winning anything. Country needs to come before club/cash. Every club. Every time.

Thing is most people supporters prefer their club to do well rather than England

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The only way England can play on the World Stage with even a chance of success is to go down the Wimbledon of old "crazy gang" route. We will never be able to compete as classy footballers so lets intimidate and clatter our opponents and hope the ref doesn't send too many off :thumbsup:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
what has the backroom staff got to do with it? if the players cant deal with the pressure, then you could take one thousand coaches with you and it's not going to help them get over that inability

Aren't the back room staff of coaches,psychologists,fitness gurus and of course,Becks!!! meant to help instill confidence and self belief into their charges.....if indeed it was their inability to deal with pressure that caused their downfall.I, along with no doubt many others, do not necessarily believe that was the main cause of failure!
How about throwing preparation at the camp,squad and team selections,tactics,communication,unrest amongst senior squad members in for discussion as well!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Like I said, Capello cannot be absolved of ALL blame, of course not. But you have to look beyond formations and systems and selections. The fact remains that professional footballers who consistantly look the part for their clubs, systematically failed - DISMALLY - in an England shirt. They suddenly were incapable of performing even the basics, and after muddling through the group, got thoroughly shown up by the first half decent side we met - AS PER USUAL.

You can point the finger at Capello if you like, but for me, once again, our players have proved that they simply can't cope with the pressure of representing England at the World Cup. Time and again they completely bottle it, and their game goes to pot.

Give them the comfort zone of club football in front of their own adoring fans and a fawning media, and they're as happy as pigs in shit. Take them out of that environment and chuck a slab of EXPECTATION on their shoulders, and the bottom lips are going before they've left the tunnel.

Add in their general lack of 'footballing intelligence' and I really do think you're barking up the wrong tree when you're pointing the finger at the manager for our abject failure on the world stage.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Spot on, the man is a football dinosaur, i would be amazed if he changed his ways, he is a stubborn man. Im happy to change my opinion on him if he actually plays our key players in the positions they play for there club sides.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Spot on, the man is a football dinosaur, i would be amazed if he changed his ways, he is a stubborn man. Im happy to change my opinion on him if he actually plays our key players in the positions they play for there club sides.

Because heaven forbid we even CONSIDER moving the pwecious pwayers even slightly out of their allotted, strictly defined comfort zones, or dare asking them to....gulp....ADAPT to a role within the team.

I gather Cashly Cole is apparently the greatest leftback in the world (or so we're told with mononous regularity). Meanwhile, outside of the english hype machine, there's a moderately useful chap called Phillipp Lahm who plays leftback. OR rightback. He's equally adept at both, and performs either role according to his managers requirements. Oh, and he's every bit as good as Cole, if not better.

Ask an englishman to do that and one hissy fit later you'll have (at best) someone sulking "out of position" fully armed up to the eyeballs with a list of excuses as to why he's so shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here