Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Six Million a Year to make us Worse!

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Looks like it is only you and me who have concerns about Capello.For whatever reasons he could not get the players to play.Who says that will change...additionally,can he change,can he communicate with the players,is his English up to it?No excuses,we were piss poor against weak opposition prior to being savaged by Germany, who to be honest could have won 7-2.
I don't think anyone is saying Capello is blameless, he clearly isn't and you and SeagullRic make some good points.

But if you think for one moment that sacking him will make one iota of difference to our sorry international record then you are truly clueless (and I'm sure you're not). We're forever changing managers (as they're the convenient scapegoat) and it's got us NOWHERE. The underlying faults in our national game, perhaps even in our national psyche, are still there and they won't go away if Martin O'Neil or Harry Redknapp or the ghost of Bill Shankly were in charge.

If the reason for not sacking Capello is money as you suggest - then good. The FA have made the right decison. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but they got there in the end. Hopefully Capello will have learnt from his mistakes and the knowledge he has picked up from his first international tournament will be added to his already considerable expertise. Thank f*** that isn't just going to be thrown away to placate some of the more empty-headed fans.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The key to reappointing Cappello is whether he intends to overhaul this side or not.

The evidence suggests the players that have formed the basis of the squad for the last 3 managers simply aren't good enough. I suggest that even if Harry Redknapp had been in charge the World Cup squad he would have picked would have been almost identical to Cappello's, and though Harry might have taken us a bit further we would have still have been eliminated before the semis because our technical game is just not good enough.

The Dan Gosling episode indicates that the up and coming kids are going to be just as mentally fragile and thick as the current crop.

Personally, I can't see how a new side will respect Cappello enough to play for him. We've had a shit WC, he can't even lighten the mood with a few wisecracks because he can't speak English.

Every one of the "kids" he thinks about bringing through will be on a minimum £1 million per year at their clubs.

And as for being a dinosaur, it's not helpful when you bring on a sub - say Joe Cole - for that player to be utterly clueless about executing the game plan. Look at the effect Jesus Navas had in the final when Del Bosque brought him on. When has that ever happened for England?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Because heaven forbid we even CONSIDER moving the pwecious pwayers even slightly out of their allotted, strictly defined comfort zones, or dare asking them to....gulp....ADAPT to a role within the team.

I gather Cashly Cole is apparently the greatest leftback in the world (or so we're told with mononous regularity). Meanwhile, outside of the english hype machine, there's a moderately useful chap called Phillipp Lahm who plays leftback. OR rightback. He's equally adept at both, and performs either role according to his managers requirements. Oh, and he's every bit as good as Cole, if not better.

Ask an englishman to do that and one hissy fit later you'll have (at best) someone sulking "out of position" fully armed up to the eyeballs with a list of excuses as to why he's so shit.

I would like to see how efective Iniesta would be playing left wing in a 4-4-2, anyone with half a brain knows that formation will get destroyed by a half decent sise these days, we were the only "top"... nation employing these tactics.
Only Capello thought that was the way to play.

I honestly dont know if pur players are good enough, maybe not but we will never know unless we play them in the right position in the right formation.

How many Phillp Lahms are there in world football.... Ashley Cole is without doubt one of the top 3 left backs in world football. Could Maicon play left back ?..or Dani Alves...no...

If Cole wasnt a very good player the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and every other top European side wouldnt be depserate for his services.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
For me Capello should have resigned after the Algeria game. Yes, the players were terrible and Capello did not tell them to play like that but that was the worst performance England have ever had. We could not even string two passes together. The manager has to be hald responsible if his team performs so far below their potential.

Don't get me wrong though the 'golden generation' should never get near an England shirt again. No more Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Heskey, Ferdinand or James. I feel to make a fresh start we need to start again top to bottom. New leadership is needed at the FA, a new manager is needed for the national team and a completely new side needs to be picked in preparation for 2014.

To those who want to keep Capello, will your opinion change if he picks the same old failures for the Euro qualifiers?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Much as I dislike him personally, Ashley Cole ISN'T the problem, and whilst I wouldn't go as far as to say he had a good World Cup he certainly had a better one than almost any other England player.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would like to see how efective Iniesta would be playing left wing in a 4-4-2, anyone with half a brain knows that formation will get destroyed by a half decent sise these days, we were the only "top"... nation employing these tactics.
Only Capello thought that was the way to play.

I honestly dont know if pur players are good enough, maybe not but we will never know unless we play them in the right position in the right formation.

How many Phillp Lahms are there in world football.... Ashley Cole is without doubt one of the top 3 left backs in world football. Could Maicon play left back ?..or Dani Alves...no...

If Cole wasnt a very good player the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona and every other top European side wouldnt be depserate for his services.

I'm not saying Cashly is a bad player - clearly he's not.

What I'm saying is that Capello has to work with a group of players who whilst blithly labelled "world class", are nothing of the sort because they don't have the flexibility or intelligence to step even slightly away from their established CLUB role in order to do an effective job at the top level in the England team.

You blame Capello for not playing them in their club positions.
I blame the players for being too THICK to be capable of doing anything else.

They are people who work for Sky Sports and report to Doctor Rupert Murdoch.

Note from Murdoch to the Sky Sports newsdesk:

Remember, despite the SHIT England performance, the fact that nearly every player in the Premiership failed to shine, and the only good one (Fabregas) was only a sub and wants to leave the Premiership anyway, it does not mean that the Premiership is anything other than the GREATEST league in the WORLD.

So remember: You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. Now pass the glitter. :thumbsup:

p.s No league or league records existed before the Premier League was formed.

Love Rupert x

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
...To those who want to keep Capello, will your opinion change if he picks the same old failures for the Euro qualifiers?
That's a fair question. I think if he just names the same starting eleven in the same formation as started the Germany game then I'll be squawking 'CAPELLO OUT!' as loudly as anybody. But on the other hand - how many of the 'failures' have to be kept as there are no alternatives?

I'm expecting a bit of both. I think a completely different squad would be as bad as a completely identical squad (time to 'gell' and all that) and frankly it would be more of a sign than Capello had 'lost it' than if he stuck to his guns.

(Maybe he thought that having an inflexible system was all he could do as he had inflexible players? Easy 10 makes a good point.)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not saying Cashly is a bad player - clearly he's not.

What I'm saying is that Capello has to work with a group of players who whilst blithly labelled "world class", are nothing of the sort because they don't have the flexibility or intelligence to step even slightly away from their established CLUB role in order to do an effective job at the top level in the England team.

You blame Capello for not playing them in their club positions.
I blame the players for being too THICK to be capable of doing anything else.

I see your point, however i bet Ashley Cole for example hasnt played anywhere else other than laft back in his whole footballing education, Lahm and the likes of Iniesta have been brought up in an entirely different way.
Playing all over the pitch i would imagine.

Because of the way our players have been brought up, playing in the position that they play for in there club sides is even more vital because of this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And as for being a dinosaur, it's not helpful when you bring on a sub - say Joe Cole - for that player to be utterly clueless about executing the game plan. Look at the effect Jesus Navas had in the final when Del Bosque brought him on. When has that ever happened for England?

I did post when so many on here were looking to Joe Cole to be the potential saviour that a mate who is a Chelsea fan said that on the few occasions Cole made the Chelsea team this season he "looked like he had forgotten how to play football" Seems this mate knew more than Capello.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I see your point, however i bet Ashley Cole for example hasnt played anywhere else other than laft back in his whole footballing education, Lahm and the likes of Iniesta have been brought up in an entirely different way.
Playing all over the pitch i would imagine.

Because of the way our players have been brought up, playing in the position that they play for in there club sides is even more vital because of this.

Being able to trap and pass the ball without having to juggle with it first, would also help ( our footballers generally, not Ashley Cole who has a much better touch than most in the England team)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I don't think anyone is saying Capello is blameless, he clearly isn't and you and SeagullRic make some good points.

But if you think for one moment that sacking him will make one iota of difference to our sorry international record then you are truly clueless (and I'm sure you're not). We're forever changing managers (as they're the convenient scapegoat) and it's got us NOWHERE. The underlying faults in our national game, perhaps even in our national psyche, are still there and they won't go away if Martin O'Neil or Harry Redknapp or the ghost of Bill Shankly were in charge.

If the reason for not sacking Capello is money as you suggest - then good. The FA have made the right decison. Maybe for the wrong reasons, but they got there in the end. Hopefully Capello will have learnt from his mistakes and the knowledge he has picked up from his first international tournament will be added to his already considerable expertise. Thank f*** that isn't just going to be thrown away to placate some of the more empty-headed fans.

Understand what you say and of course the players cannot be absolved of all blame .Nevertheless,I do maintain that Capello is lucky to still be in his job for all the reasons that have been stated over and over again.Yes,a clearout and fresh faces are needed for the national team....I hope Capello does the right thing there.We will have to agree to disagree,I still have severe reservations about the man and whether he is the right chap to spearhead a fresh start.Perhaps he could acknowledge his mistakes,publicly take some of the responsibility for the shambles and suggest his salary is.... shall we say halved!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Please Please Please Fabio just try a different formation and play our best players in the correct positions they know

I really dont ask much, surely worth a go for a few games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Please Please Please Fabio just try a different formation and play our best players in the correct positions they know

I really dont ask much, surely worth a go for a few games.

Its re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic I fear Marshy.

There is no quick fix here. Our existing "stars" have had ample opportunity to prove themselves and have failed, and there seems precious little coming through behind them in the way of replacements.

Its going to take a complete overhaul of coaching methods in this country. We need quality coaches, coaching kids first and foremost how to pass the ball. Forget competative junior leagues, forget 11-aside on a full sized pitch when they're barely in their teens. Until a real effort is made in changing attitudes at grass roots, I think we'll always be behind the likes of Spain, Holland and Germany.

We're in for some real International wilderness years now I reckons.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yep all Capello's fault as it was with Erickson nothing to do with the players at all, they are all brilliant

Of course they are because they play in the 'best league in the WORLD' according to every Murdoch newspaper.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Understand what you say and of course the players cannot be absolved of all blame .Nevertheless,I do maintain that Capello is lucky to still be in his job for all the reasons that have been stated over and over again.Yes,a clearout and fresh faces are needed for the national team....I hope Capello does the right thing there.We will have to agree to disagree,I still have severe reservations about the man and whether he is the right chap to spearhead a fresh start.Perhaps he could acknowledge his mistakes,publicly take some of the responsibility for the shambles and suggest his salary is.... shall we say halved!
Yeah, I'm certainly not going to go to the barricades for the man. It's funny, but I'm probably less of a Capello fan after this world cup than I was an Ericsson fan after 2006 - and I think Capello is a much better manager. If Geoff Hurst can be given a retropsective knighthood for three goals in 1966 then Sven should get one for getting us to over-achieve (by the standards of English teams both before and after) by getting us through three successive qualifying campaigns and to three successive quarter finals.

There. That'll unite Easy 10 and Marshy!

SI 4 BHA

Nov 12, 2003
westdene, brighton
Exactly.

And why do people think we have any right to be better than somewhere between 9th-16th in the world.

Because there really shouldnt be 12 national sides better than England given the scale of the game here.

Yes Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, Italy, Holland, and in recent years, France, will generally be ahead of us, but that really should be it, so 8th is about right.

My beef with Capello is that the main reason for having a manager of his experience and price should be to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal. However, even accepting that the players are over-hyped and clearly not as good as Sky would have us believe, hardly any of them played even to their limited potential and that is where he failed big time.

If we had got knocked out in the last 16 round but the team had performed well and we had played to the best of it's ability, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Quite frankly any of us could have achieved the same result had we been the manager, I'm pretty sure I could have coached us to a 4-1 defeat by Germany and a 0-0 against a team the Albion would beat 9 times out of 10, and all for a fraction of the salary!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here