Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Singing bye bye Ashley Ashley Barnes...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Barnes didn't have a good game, so all those that don't understand football are in with their sharpened blades. CMS didn't play well today, but he got a standing ovation. Seriously, WTF?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I don't care what anyone says, I know I'll get flamed by the Barnsey butt rimmers but even they have to admit that performance was PATHETIC... Quite literally cost us two points...

Seriously, why?!

I normally stick up for Barnes but had a poor game today. Just not good enough.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We were still 1-0 up and defending comfortably when he went off. Even if he wasn't on his game his presence seemed to be important because we seemed to sit much deeper without him, and were a bit more scrappy defending without him.

I thought he had some good moments, but also some moments where people were desperate to criticise him before he'd even done anything wrong (for example, early first half he played a ball to orlandi (or maybe hammond) and a bolton player came through orlandi conceding a foul but had the ball and was about to get away before the whistle went but fans around me had already started criticising barnes as if he'd played a poor pass). There seemed to be a few moments throughout the match where people were desperate to be the first to complain and so were complaining needlessly because what they thought was a mistake was actually a good move (and not just with Barnes).

I thought we were very lucky to get the goal - Barnes appeared to me to have handled the ball as he broke and played the ball to CMS, who won a very soft free kick that bolton have every right to feel aggrieved at and we scored from that free kick.

I didn't think Barnes was as bad as hammond. Hammond seemed like someone who is seeing their contract out, his balls rarely if ever got past the first man.

I expected Barnes to get criticised since his penalty was saved, he hit the bar, screwed a shot wide, but I didn't think his performance was as bad as people are saying on this thread (and that's even adjusting for those that always criticise him). He had some good touches that put other players into threatening positions, and as mentioned above, we were more comfortable in defence with him on.

Even if his performance was worse than I noted, it still wasn't him (or at least, him alone) that cost us two points. Orlandi hit the bar a couple of times, Barnes wasn't on the pitch when we conceded, he wasn't time wasting in injury time causing the ref to add more time on, and I also think Bogdan deserves some credit for a string of great saves.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I've defended Barnes to the hilt on here before but come on mate. He was shocking today.

So was CMS so why not drop him and slag him off as much as everyone does Barnes ?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
So was CMS so why not drop him and slag him off as much as everyone does Barnes ?

Agree and both should have come off shortly into the 2nd half.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Not sticking up for him because he played shit but maybe people should get behind each and every member of the team!!! Makes me sick hearing people booing him!!!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
We were still 1-0 up and defending comfortably when he went off. Even if he wasn't on his game his presence seemed to be important because we seemed to sit much deeper without him, and were a bit more scrappy defending without him.

I thought he had some good moments, but also some moments where people were desperate to criticise him before he'd even done anything wrong (for example, early first half he played a ball to orlandi (or maybe hammond) and a bolton player came through orlandi conceding a foul but had the ball and was about to get away before the whistle went but fans around me had already started criticising barnes as if he'd played a poor pass). There seemed to be a few moments throughout the match where people were desperate to be tefirst to complain and so were complaining needlessly because what they thought was a mistake was actually a good move.

I thought we were very lucky to get the goal - Barnes appeared to me to have handled the ball as he broke and played the ball to CMS, who won a very soft free kick that bolton have every right to feel aggrieved at and we scored from that free kick.

I didn't think Barnes was as bad as hammond. Hammond seemed like someone who is seeing their contract out, his balls rarely if ever got past the first man.

I expected Barnes to get criticised since his penalty was saved, he hit the bar, screwed a shot wide, but I didn't think his performance was as bad as people are saying on this thread (and that's even adjusting for those that always criticise him). He had some good touches that put other players into threatening positions, and as mentioned above, we were more comfortable in defence with him on.

Good post. We play a system and he plays it well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Talking to the wrong person here mate - I've long been a supporter of Barnes and unconvinced by CMS. CMS was poor today but Barnes was shocking. If CMS had missed the THREE absolute sitters Barnes missed today I'd be saying the same about CMS.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not his best game in front of goal but CMS does not any abuse for putting in an awful performance? Some people are desperate to have a go at Barnes and I will never understand why. Do you think Hoskins (who should have got a lot longer on the pitch in place of CMS) or Dobbie would have given Painter the defensive cover Barnes was giving

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Talking to the wrong person here mate - I've long been a supporter of Barnes and unconvinced by CMS. CMS was poor today but Barnes was shocking. If CMS had missed the THREE absolute sitters Barnes missed today I'd be saying the same about CMS.

Other than the penalty rebound what were the other sitters?
Pretty crass thread, this. Weird way of supporting.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area

I thought he had some good moments, but also some moments where people were desperate to criticise him before he'd even done anything wrong (for example, early first half he played a ball to orlandi (or maybe hammond) and a bolton player came through orlandi conceding a foul but had the ball and was about to get away before the whistle went but fans around me had already started criticising barnes as if he'd played a poor pass). There seemed to be a few moments throughout the match where people were desperate to be the first to complain and so were complaining needlessly because what they thought was a mistake was actually a good move (and not just with Barnes).

Even if his performance was worse than I noted, it still wasn't him (or at least, hi alone) that cost us two points. Orlandi hit the bar a couple of times, Barnes wasn't on thepitch when we conceded, he wasn't time wasting in injury time causing the ref to add more time on, and I also thin Bogdan deserves some credit for a string of great saves.

Spot on that man......

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

Even if his performance was worse than I noted, it still wasn't him (or at least, hi alone) that cost us two points. Orlandi hit the bar a couple of times, Barnes wasn't on thepitch when we conceded, he wasn't time wasting in injury time causing the ref to add more time on, and I also thin Bogdan deserves some credit for a string of great saves.

So Barnes nearly cost us our goal as well........

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Do you not remember when he was unmarked at the near post right at the start of the 2nd half and completely missed the ball?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you not remember when he was unmarked at the near post right at the start of the 2nd half and completely missed the ball?

It then ran through and orlandi dinked it pathetically straight at the keeper without any power.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012

Yes but CMS would have scored 2out of the 3 and CMS works so hard and tirelessly up front on his own

SaltdeanSeagulls

Nov 24, 2012
Seriously, are you comparing CMS and Barnes. What is their respective goal scoring for the season and goals per appearance? Would we miss Barnes - No, would we miss CMS at the moment we would have about 10 points less. Be serious.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes but CMS would have scored 2out of the 3 and CMS works so hard and tirelessly up front on his own

I wouldn't agree with that. CMS generally misses more sitters than anyone, but yes he works hard. So did Alex Revell.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It then ran through and orlandi dinked it pathetically straight at the keeper without any power.

If he'd made any sort of contact it was going in. Such a frustrating game but as I said you have to credit Bogdan he was immense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

1. Penalty
2. Penalty rebound
3. 2nd half, squared to him about 10 yards from goal. Total air shot.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Seriously, are you comparing CMS and Barnes. What is their respective goal scoring for the season and goals per appearance? Would we miss Barnes - No, would we miss CMS at the moment we would have about 10 points less. Be serious.

One plays upfront, the other plays defensive left wing. Cannot compare scoring records. Away from that specific point though, I think Barnes needs dropping, and possibly at some point Hoskins should get a start ahead of CMS.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here