Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocking standard of spelling on Northstandchat

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Oh well. Good example - everbody makes the occasional mistake - that simply makes it even more important, to correct as many as you can.

The latter point might seem strange, but it obviously isn't incorrect. I often use 'it is', to be honest, because I've never liked 'it's' - the rules of when to use an apostrophe in it seem a bit of a minefield.

Agree with you. Mistakes are acceptable, but blatant ignorance of the correct their, there or they're, for example, is annoying.

Regarding the second point, 'its' is possessive and 'it's' is a contraction of it is. There are no other rules.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Makes me larf

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Regarding the second point, 'its' is possessive and 'it's' is a contraction of it is. There are no other rules.

I know. What I should have written, is that its use doesn't always LOOK right, so it's something I simply chose to not use. Sometimes.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
For me, the increasingly evident lack of concern for correct spelling or grammar reflects the growth of a new British brutalism, in which, spurred on by the abominations of the Sun and the creeping spread of text-speak, people seem to revel in parading their ignorance.

Happening in a country whose language has given the world so much, this is profoundly depressing.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
For me, the increasingly evident lack of concern for correct spelling or grammar reflects the growth of a new British brutalism, in which, spurred on by the abominations of the Sun and the creeping spread of text-speak, people seem to revel in parading their ignorance.

Happening in a country whose language has given the world so much, this is profoundly depressing.

Or just using stupid I phone/tap talk that's wants to change every other word you write.

Some correctly mind :)

Ps. Move on this. we have wasted enough time/threads talking about language/grammar on here. Everybody knows you don't write on NSC they same way you would write a company email.

Certainly nothing to get depressed about. No need for anybody to jump from the top of WSU because of misspellings on a message boad.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Ps. Move on this. we have wasted enough time/threads talking about language/grammar on here. Everybody knows you don't write on NSC they same way you would write a company email.
You see this is my point - and please don't take this as something against you because it certainly isn't, it's an observation on the argument/justification itself - that argument essentially says, I don't care about what I write here, I am lazy. I *can* write properly when I want to, but I can't be bothered. If that's the case then why should someone be bothered to consider what that person is saying? I think it says more about the writer's own standards than those of the person who picks on it.

As many people have pointed out, typos or spelling errors are fair enough. But BASIC concepts of sentence structure and grammar which one is taught as a child should be something that are upheld all over. I learnt the difference between their/there/they're in first school. I get that some people struggle with it for whatever reason, dyslexia or otherwise, that's fine. But not knowing how to use a comma or full stop, not understanding a capital letter is used at the start of a sentence or "could of" instead of "could have" is just lazy and ignorant. And the worst part is, the regular offenders seem to be the first to comment on an OT thread about immigrants who "can't even speak English and take all our jobs", when ironically they can barely master the language themselves.

Essentially a standardised way of spelling aids efficient communication of thoughts and ideas, and as a discussion forum that is surely key to getting a point across. If I came on here and wrote in French (for the record I can't, but for argument's sake!), only those who speak French would understand. My point might be a fantastic one but it wouldn't be an efficient way of broadcasting that argument/thought. I personally see that as no different if, with a vast language capable of incredible intelligence and beauty at our beck and call, we jst ryt lyk ds cz it dsnt mttr cz itz nle a ftbl frm innt.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You see this is my point - and please don't take this as something against you because it certainly isn't, it's an observation on the argument/justification itself - that argument essentially says, I don't care about what I write here, I am lazy. I *can* write properly when I want to, but I can't be bothered. If that's the case then why should someone be bothered to consider what that person is saying? I think it says more about the writer's own standards than those of the person who picks on it.

As many people have pointed out, typos or spelling errors are fair enough. But BASIC concepts of sentence structure and grammar which one is taught as a child should be something that are upheld all over. I learnt the difference between their/there/they're in first school. I get that some people struggle with it for whatever reason, dyslexia or otherwise, that's fine. But not knowing how to use a comma or full stop, not understanding a capital letter is used at the start of a sentence or "could of" instead of "could have" is just lazy and ignorant. And the worst part is, the regular offenders seem to be the first to comment on an OT thread about immigrants who "can't even speak English and take all our jobs", when ironically they can barely master the language themselves.

Essentially a standardised way of spelling aids efficient communication of thoughts and ideas, and as a discussion forum that is surely key to getting a point across. If I came on here and wrote in French (for the record I can't, but for argument's sake!), only those who speak French would understand. My point might be a fantastic one but it wouldn't be an efficient way of broadcasting that argument/thought. I personally see that as no different if, with a vast language capable of incredible intelligence and beauty at our beck and call, we jst ryt lyk ds cz it dsnt mttr cz itz nle a ftbl frm innt.

Amen to that.

Additionally, NSC is not just a football forum; it gave up that pretence long ago - probably around the 'Family Fortunes / Crisps' time.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole

I do agree with this. However its the constant picking up of the odd comma/word the i phone changes on its own/duplicated word, that hacks me off. You have whole threads spolit by post after post picking up the one mistake in a three paragraph post. Dont get me wrong i hate text speak on here. There is no need.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here