Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocking standard of spelling on Northstandchat

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I agree that it is in no way is it confined to NSC.

I didn't read past this.

EDIT: Okay, I did. I'm interested to know how you teach a child spelling using phonetics? It's not like German, where each word is said as written. I'm genuinely interested, perhaps you could link me to something?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is anyone else shitting themselves about making a basic mistake in this thread? I've read every post I've made about five times before I've actually posted it.

I check through EVERY post I make, in EVERY thread, before i post it. Then after I've posted it, I skim through it again, and if there's a typo, I hit edit, and put it right. Even if it is just starting a sentence with a lower case letter, for example. I can't help it - I have standards, and feel compelled to uphold them.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I check through EVERY post I make, in EVERY thread, before i post it. The after I've posted it, I skim through it again, and if there's a typo, I hit edit, and put it right. Even if it is just starting a sentence with a lower case letter, for example. I can't help it - I have standards, and feel compelled to uphold them.

I suggest you have another look through ;)

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Glad to hear that your partner's school values teaching English, but there are so many other influence that I fear it's a drop in a large ocean. It's not cool to use correct grammar in text, Facebook, twitter, e.t.c. and time consuming, add this to educational aspirations and it's no wonder grammar/spelling is so poor.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Glad to hear that your partner's school values teaching English, but there are so many other influence that I fear it's a drop in a large ocean. It's not cool to use correct grammar in text, Facebook, twitter, e.t.c. and time consuming, add this to educational aspirations and it's no wonder grammar/spelling is so poor.

I don't know about everyone else, but I seem to remember learning more about William Shakespeare in my English lessons, than spelling and grammar. I remember in primary school we did spelling, but moving into secondary school, I think the focus was more on literature and history than basic language skills. Perhaps this is the problem? That it's not taught to a high enough level?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I check through EVERY post I make, in EVERY thread, before i post it. Then after I've posted it, I skim through it again, and if there's a typo, I hit edit, and put it right. Even if it is just starting a sentence with a lower case letter, for example. I can't help it - I have standards, and feel compelled to uphold them.

As do I. But in this thread in particular I have checked, re-checked and re-checked my work again before posting it. And now I'm terrified I've been to confident with my use of hyphens in this post.

The general tumbling standards in written grammar and spelling are good in some ways though, at makes it easier for a moderately intelligent person like myself to come across as much more intelligent than I actually am.

(Not really, I am super-intelligent).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Writing properly, and using the correct grammar, might take a few seconds more of YOUR time, but it means that it is infinitely easier for the people reading it, to understand it. If you write gibberish, and expect THEM to take more of their time understanding your point, then that's both lazy, and arrogant.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
As do I. But in this thread in particular I have checked, re-checked and re-checked my work again before posting it. And now I'm terrified I've been to confident with my use of hyphens in this post.

The general tumbling standards in written grammar and spelling are good in some ways though, at makes it easier for a moderately intelligent person like myself to come across as much more intelligent than I actually am.

Last time, I PROMISE! It's just hard to resist.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
My children have megalolz at my text messages, as they are typed out in full, with appropriate grammar and correct spelling.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

'to / too'. SCHOOLBOY.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I am much more interested in the point that a poster is making, rather than how they spell!

However, I do have to read some posts twice at times to understand their point.

Pretty sure that most of us can make the odd typo errors... Does that make us all thick?

I don't re-read anything. If the writer can't be bothered then, rightly or wrongly, I can't be bothered either. I'm not talking about the occasional typo which happens to us all. English can be tricky, that's why we have grammar and punctuation-to help the reader understand what you're trying to say, as easily as possible. As for 'there', 'their' and 'they're', along with 'have' and 'of'...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Check again.

You've missed a capital I.

Also it seems strange that you have typed 'it is' when you have shortened other words such as I've and Can't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't re-read anything. If the writer can't be bothered then, rightly or wrongly, I can't be bothered either. I'm not talking about the occasional typo which happens to us all. English can be tricky, that's why we have grammar and punctuation-to help the reader understand what you're trying to say, as easily as possible. As for 'there', 'their' and 'they're', along with 'have' and 'of'...

Pretty much sums it up, for me, too.

Spelling mistakes are inevitable. Some struggle more than others, but its not a problem.

Using completely the wrong word, is much more irritating. Using 'of' instead of 'have' is the worst of the lot - horrible, lazy and chavvy.

Your / you're is pretty lazy too. It really isn't very difficult.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My children have megalolz at my text messages, as they are typed out in full, with appropriate grammar and correct spelling.

Mine too. I refuse to abbreviate my text messages, they are typed out in the manner of which I would write to a local independent bakery congratulating them on their cheese straws. Or a correspondence with a distant but kindly uncle over some inappropriate pictures I had discovered in a car he had sold me some years ago.

Twitter typo's are a nightmare, as there is no edit facility, so if it's bad enough you end up having to delete it and start again, which feels like such an EFFORT for something so minor. I have had to become extra vigilant before hitting Tweet, I posted numerous faffs when I started getting to grips with it on my phone.

Predictive text on Twitter is the bastard son of SATAN, and can make you look a right tool.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Check again.

You've missed a capital I.

Also it seems strange that you have typed 'it is' when you have shortened other words such as I've and Can't.

Oh well. Good example - everbody makes the occasional mistake - that simply makes it even more important, to correct as many as you can.

The latter point might seem strange, but it obviously isn't incorrect. I often use 'it is', to be honest, because I've never liked 'it's' - the rules of when to use an apostrophe in it seem a bit of a minefield.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Don't you just love the close season? The old grammar/spelling debate in full force.

In some ways it doesn't matter – this IS just an internet forum at the end of the day – but I think that a certain standard should be upheld. It doesn't take long to re-read a post before posting and you might just see something that doesn't make sense. However if there is still an error, it doesn't REALLY make any difference to anyone does it, in the grand scheme of things.

But different things bother different people more. Get a player's goal scoring record wrong, or wrongly identify an area of the AMEX and some people will be up in arms. Others have such strong views on politics, whereas I couldn't care less. And then there are people who have beef with the way posters use grammar, or spell words.

I only normally pick people up when they are correcting someone's mistake, and THEY write something wrong themselves. If someone finds something wrong in my post, knock yourself out and bring it to my attention (I'm not into as much re-checking as Commander), if it makes you feel better.

On a slightly different subject, does anyone else get annoyed by people being misquoted, and then that misquote becoming gospel? The most irritating for me is Nigel Adkins' "If they can keep up", which was actually "If they can keep with us, maybe" when he was interviewed.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I didn't read past this.

Yep, schoolboy error. I started on one point, re-wrote it, and didn't edit. :blush:

EDIT: Okay, I did. I'm interested to know how you teach a child spelling using phonetics? It's not like German, where each word is said as written. I'm genuinely interested, perhaps you could link me to something?

It doesn't work exclusively while the children learn spelling; phonetics is one part of it. When I asked my partner about it, I found it confusing, but once she explained it, then for the kids who haven't been sullied with other learning methods, it's apparently quite easy.

http://www.montessorimaterials.org/lang2.html

Her school is a Montessori school (often derided, wrongly, as exclusive and the preserve of an alternative lifestyle), and the emphasis is on learning rather than teaching. The children are encouraged to learn a range of experiences, knowledge, life skills and practicalities through self-motivation, trial and error, and guidance.

It might sound like a doss for the children to choose their own platform to work from, but it's not, and the teachers are there for help, boundary-setting and security. It does - in most cases - work well. The result is often (though not always, of course) greater self-confidence, respect and an appreciation and motivation for learning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here