Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocking standard of spelling on Northstandchat

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Ure not digging the new vibe bros, wtf, omg, lmao, pmsl! Get with it ffs, spelling aint cruce no more, its about digging the street feel!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We've inherited this amazingly beautiful language which has evolved down through the generations. The least we could do is try and use it correctly.

it has evolved precisely because people have changed it as they go along.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'm not entirely bothered about bad spelling. If you can read it and understand it, then great.

I corrected one instance, a picture comparing Croydon to Afghanistan, and all of a sudden, I am a member of the grammar police.

If you are going to take the piss out of someone/a football club, at least make sure there is no coming back.

Completely agree with your point and remember in the Croydon / Afghanistan thread jokingly pointing out your county / country typo. What really bothers me though is when a poster who is involved in a debate and can't reply with a valid argument tries to trash the other posters opinion by highlighting spelling errors which half the time are typos. To me it's a dead giveaway they've lost the argument and almost a last resort for them.

I agree. We have a broad range of educational levels. If you can understand it, you can argue it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Has anywon notised the terible standad off speling and grama on NSC recentley and does anywon else find it anoying? ???

There is a modern phenomenon of "mistyping" as well though.

I often do it. I've been using computers for so long, my brain is fixed with a certain "shape" of typing. I often make the oddest errors on here.

Injecting the wrong word.

"There" and "their" are a common mistake of mine. I know exactly which word to use in the correct context, but often find myself typing the wrong one.

I'm guilty of even odder ones as well.

Easy for American English spellings to drop in as well, especially if you've done a bit of coding. I'm so used to spelling colour without the "u".

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
There is a modern phenomenon of "mistyping" as well though.

I often do it. I've been using computers for so long, my brain is fixed with a certain "shape" of typing. I often make the oddest errors on here.

Injecting the wrong word.

"There" and "their" are a common mistake of mine. I know exactly which word to use in the correct context, but often find myself typing the wrong one.

I'm guilty of even odder ones as well.

Easy for American English spellings to drop in as well, especially if you've done a bit of coding. I'm so used to spelling colour without the "u".

All the above is so true :thumbsup:

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
I'm not entirely bothered about bad spelling. If you can read it and understand it, then great.

I corrected one instance, a picture comparing Croydon to Afghanistan, and all of a sudden, I am a member of the grammar police.

If you are going to take the piss out of someone/a football club, at least make sure there is no coming back.

I'm sure [MENTION=21451]ifuhatepalacestandup[/MENTION] will have his/her say unless he/she doesn't make it past the burst ulcer.

just coz i objected to being pulled up in public by you you gotta bring up my health problems, well if you read the forum you would know i have a heart problem not a fuckin ulcer dick head

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
More annoying are people who type 'This' after a posting....pure laziness and an attempt to put up their posting number. (Cue someone putting 'This' after this post.)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
As a fully paid up member of the spelling / grammar police, my reasoning is that I tend to not really listen to somebody's point if it looks like it was written by a 6 year old child with learning difficulties. I don't see what's wrong with that, if a post looks like it was written by someone unintelligent then I take less notice of their opinion, as I assume the poster is unintelligent. You'll find the same happens in real life as well!

I'm not talking about the odd typo, and as BOF says, it's easy to put the odd 'there' in when you know perfectly well what the correct one should be. But when someone's post is littered with basic spelling and grammatical errors I tend to ignore their opinion. It really shouldn't be too much to ask to speak / write your first language to a reasonable standard.

An I really fail to see how so many people can get 'your' and 'you're' mixed up. It's not rocket science, I learnt that when I was six!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
As a fully paid up member of the spelling / grammar police, my reasoning is that I tend to not really listen to somebody's point if it looks like it was written by a 6 year old child with learning difficulties. I don't see what's wrong with that, if a post looks like it was written by someone unintelligent then I take less notice of their opinion, as I assume the poster is unintelligent. You'll find the same happens in real life as well!

I'm not talking about the odd typo, and as BOF says, it's easy to put the odd 'there' in when you know perfectly well what the correct one should be. But when someone's post is littered with basic spelling and grammatical errors I tend to ignore their opinion. It really shouldn't be too much to ask to speak / write your first language to a reasonable standard.

An I really fail to see how so many people can get 'your' and 'you're' mixed up. It's not rocket science, I learnt that when I was six!

The problem with this is that not everybody is blessed with the same levels of ability spelling wise. Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps some people can't help it? Your attitude would have prevented you from reading Einstein for example (unlikely to post here I'll admit). Would that be a smart move?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Only one way to settle this - a football match. See:
Just a idea

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The problem with this is that not everybody is blessed with the same levels of ability spelling wise. Have you ever stopped to consider that perhaps some people can't help it? Your attitude would have prevented you from reading Einstein for example (unlikely to post here I'll admit). Would that be a smart move?

I do take your point, but if you applied for a job and made consistent, basic grammatical errors in your application then they wouldn't take you seriously, so why is it any different in any other walk of life? We all went to school, didn't we?

And one more thing, there is a spell check on NSC! If people want to have their opinions taken seriously but have problems with spelling, then why don't they just use that? It takes two seconds!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
These people that moan about spelling, there wrong.

They need to go and stand in the corner, over their.

They must be shareholders in the Oxford Dictionary, they are just trying to protect they're own interests.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I am much more interested in the point that a poster is making, rather than how they spell!

However, I do have to read some posts twice at times to understand their point.

Pretty sure that most of us can make the odd typo errors... Does that make us all thick?

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Everyone makes mistakes, but when I see posts that are largely written in "txt spk", and/or which get really basic things wrong (like, not knowing when to use capital letters, or how to punctuate a sentence so it makes sense: it's really not that hard!), I find it hard to take the poster seriously. It's not even intentional, but I just tend to think someone's not very bright if they can't get the basics right, and I'm therefore less interested in what they've got to say. If that somehow makes me a bad person, so be it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here