Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shocking standard of spelling on Northstandchat

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
What I find even more annoying are the high-horsed spelling police that troll these forums and nit-pick every single typo day after day and most probably get enjoyment out of it.

jd312

Feb 19, 2011
What I find even more annoying are the high-horsed spelling police that troll these forums and nit-pick every single typo day after day and most probably get enjoyment out of it.

Thought the same thing as soon at I read this thread!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
vis small mindidness dusnt bover me as long as I can understand the content

dont stress just be happee

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I'm not entirely bothered about bad spelling. If you can read it and understand it, then great.

I corrected one instance, a picture comparing Croydon to Afghanistan, and all of a sudden, I am a member of the grammar police.

If you are going to take the piss out of someone/a football club, at least make sure there is no coming back.

I'm sure [MENTION=21451]ifuhatepalacestandup[/MENTION] will have his/her say unless he/she doesn't make it past the burst ulcer.

Last edited:

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It actually does annoy the shit out of me, but I try not to comment unless someone really deserves it as I know you are liable to be absolutely torn apart for correcting someone. I do find it strange that people don't seem to want to spell things correctly, and trot out the old classic excuse: "it's only a football forum, it doesn't matter". But yes, yes it does. That's a truly awful, lazy, arrogant excuse. If you can't spell a word fine, just admit you can't spell it; but don't claim it doesn't matter, because it does.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
It actually does annoy the shit out of me, but I try not to comment unless someone really deserves it as I know you are liable to be absolutely torn apart for correcting someone. I do find it strange that people don't seem to want to spell things correctly, and trot out the old classic excuse: "it's only a football forum, it doesn't matter". But yes, yes it does. That's a truly awful, lazy, arrogant excuse. If you can't spell a word fine, just admit you can't spell it; but don't claim it doesn't matter, because it does.

Everything annoys the shit out of you :shrug:

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
We've inherited this amazingly beautiful language which has evolved down through the generations. The least we could do is try and use it correctly.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I find many people who criticise others' opinions based on spelling & grammar have no valid comeback in response to the comment itself. A bit petty, if you ask me.

ezmally

Sep 16, 2006
Hastings
I'm not entirely bothered about bad spelling. If you can read it and understand it, then great.

I corrected one instance, a picture comparing Croydon to Afghanistan, and all of a sudden, I am a member of the grammar police.

If you are going to take the piss out of someone/a football club, at least make sure there is no coming back.

Completely agree with your point and remember in the Croydon / Afghanistan thread jokingly pointing out your county / country typo. What really bothers me though is when a poster who is involved in a debate and can't reply with a valid argument tries to trash the other posters opinion by highlighting spelling errors which half the time are typos. To me it's a dead giveaway they've lost the argument and almost a last resort for them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here