Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Weds - embarrassing!

shwoody1

May 18, 2009
lewes
felt a little sorry for megson after his interview he could not play one of his better players who scored twice midweek because it triggered another contract. i know this happens from time to time but wednesday are a big club and to have this sort of restriction put on your manager makes a mockery of the game, that said it would not of made any difference as we were different class today but i just got the feeling that he thought they were beat before they started.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On the plus side, I liked that their players made the effort before kick off to go over and applaud their fans, I don't know if they do it before every game or if it was something done just because of the distance of the away stand, but it seemed a nice touch.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Check out some of the stupid comments that some Owls fans make, eg that we a tinpot team hehe yeah selling 16000 season tickets, gee some fans just live in the past dont they ? eg withdean, Gillingham, also someone said we have no history yeah okay, also some still think Poyet will leave in summer, all these people will see that Brighton from now on will start to only progress, Poyet will also not leave us unless for a big club, also they still think that some of their players are better than ours lol, and we have a bunch of average players but a great manager, yeah so Poyet puts the ball in the net and keeps all these clean sheets, most idiotic fan comments i have read.
I thought Sheff wed fans supposed to be knowledge, delusional i think.
We have a lot of potential as i hear a lot of neutral experts say, also we have a massive catchment area, rich chairman who loves club, and players who can play football, im proud im a brighton fan, not a sheff wed fan and would never swap this.
On some of the fans comments i have read, i hope they go down.

What Brighton fans thought... - Owlstalk

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They were very poor. Little invention and didn't look happy playing together. I suspect they are fighting it out for the top spot when it comes to wages and I would be furious if I were a Wednesday fan.

Just read a few comments on that Owls talk thread "Who are we to criticise", "tinpot club with no history" etc. Boring, dull and unimaginative, just like their performance today and their manager. We're all football fans, I don't see how who we support has anything to do with our ability to evaluate what we thought of the opposition. We were surely better placed than some of those on that thread who did not go to the game. Similar to the 'Liverpool fans know their football' rubbish.

Last edited:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
They were very poor. Little invention and didn't look happy playing together. I suspect they are fighting it out for the top spot when it comes to wages and I would be furious if I were a Wednesday fan.

Just read a few comments on that Owls talk thread "Who are we to criticise", "tinpot club with no history" etc. Boring, dull and unimaginative, just like their performance today and their manager.

Its amusing that they think we have average players and are only top of the league because of Poyet. I wouldn't take any of their players over ours.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think some fans are having problems getting their heads round 'little old Brighton from an athletics stadium walking away with the league. We've got some cracking individual players and they play exceedingly well as a team. Granted, Poyet has been the catalyst, but there is only so much he can do once they take to the pitch. Jealousy is an ugly trait.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We are 13 points clear at the top, 37 points ahead of Wednesday (who, lets not forget, were joint favourites for promotion) yet they still think we're a mediocre side. Absolutely amazing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They do seem to have a lot of arrogant fans....not sure where it comes from given they've not exactly done anything as a club.

Is that ironic or moronic or both? Should we have given Sheffield Wednesday a guard of honour when they took time out of their busy schedule to grace our hallowed turf?

How are we being arrogant in criticising the standard of the opposition?

Granted, there is going to be a touch of arrogance from various sections of our fans, certainly as we have been top of the league for over six months, but are we arrogant as a club? I'm not sure we have gone overboard.

It does become tiresome when we are written off as a 'nothing club' - granted, we don't have a rich and illustrious history, but we are not exactly a side that can only boast a couple of county trophies. I imagine that a lot of their fans are struggling to come to terms with having only just reached the magic 50 points of the third tier having latched onto the club when they were in the top flight.

Wanderers FC can boast 5 FA Cup trophies, but it didn't stand them in good stead.

I thought their fans deserved better. They turned up in large numbers. Felt sorry for the three Owls waiting 20 for the 27 bus, only to realise that it wasn't going to take them to the Park n Ride site :lolol:

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
We look very likely to be the first football league side to be promoted this season on Tuesday and we just beat them 2-0. I don't think we are being arrogant but f*** me if anyone in this league deserves to be arrogant its us.

We have been bloody brilliant this season and we deserve every accolade we get. I've got to say though, other than the clowns on there forum, every Wednesday fan I've met before and after games has been top notch. They've got a great following, make a cracking atmosphere and deserve better. Their team is appaling at the moment. They were awful today. I'm sure Megson will sort it out in the summer though and have them challenging next season.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I thought their fans deserved better. They turned up in large numbers.

That was my point.....their team were an embarrassment to their fans and their club. It is simply quite amazing how such a huge club has descended to this. Even Leeds didn't get this low!! Rather than take a pop at a few Brighton fans, I think they need to examine the general attitude, fitness and ability of their own players. If they make a few decent signings, we could (and should) be playing them again in a couple of years time!

Read this comment on that website, wishfull thinking from the poster of this message?.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still can't work out if Brighton or good or whether League One is that bad.

Saying that, Brighton to their credit have done well this season with a team of nobodies. Bearing in mind how close they were to going down last season, it does show how quickly things can change.

Hopefully we will swap places with them at the end of next season (us up, them down). Quite a good chance of that I think.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Under performing in the extreme. Wasn't there a thread about Mellor coming here? He would need to lose a stone and show he had Some interest in playing football first!

If I'm correct I'm sure we were after him a few years ago. Mr Big time Charlie turned us down and now he is approaching us for a move. From what I saw of him yesterday we would be better signing my 14 year old son. He was absolutely dire yesterday and is doing no more than chase our money. Mr Mellor :nono::bigwave:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Whatever those 'stuck in the early seventies' Yorkshire folk think about us doesn't really matter. Most of them on that site actually thought they were going to get something from yesterday's game-and they did, a football lesson from a team of nobodies.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Saying that, Brighton to their credit have done well this season with a team of nobodies.

I'd far rather have a team of nobodies with plenty of passion for the game than overpaid, overweight, disinterested tossers like Morrison and Mellor. Two nil, to the nobodies, to nil to the nobodies...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Just think on. Next season the Steel City derby will be in the First Division. Hilarious!!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Just think on. Next season the Steel City derby will be in the First Division. Hilarious!!!

Sounds better when you say "Third Division".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here