Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday facing administration

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The fact remains that they have been signing players with the threat of winding up hanging over them. Do you think Neil Mellor is playing for free?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Spot on, and shame it had to be a Palace fan saying that. I continue to find it staggering the amount of smug bollocks spouted on here about other clubs' problems. Even with Knight's prudence (and let's have it right, that meant losing LESS money, not making a profit) Bloom was a godsend without which we wouldn't have had the ground and who knows what else besides.

I read this board now and its all 'I'm paying £100 a month to be in the 1901 club', and 'F**k the other clubs, it's their own fault'. Sometimes it's like it's not the same club/group of fans at all. And then these same people will be on here criticising the Prem for being self-serving and money-mad. Incredible.

Spot on. I'd never wish another club ill.

Hope Wednesday get through it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Spot on, and shame it had to be a Palace fan saying that. I continue to find it staggering the amount of smug bollocks spouted on here about other clubs' problems. Even with Knight's prudence (and let's have it right, that meant losing LESS money, not making a profit) Bloom was a godsend without which we wouldn't have had the ground and who knows what else besides.

ok, but on the other hand Knight could have borrowed and spent, not paid the tax man to keep us up in the Championship a few years ago, then taken the administration hit and started all over again.

he didnt, while we see other clubs that have done, so the symapthy drains away. Wednesday must have known over the summer they would be facing a shortfall due to relegation, but still brought in expensive players before paying the tax bill.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I read this board now and its all 'I'm paying £100 a month to be in the 1901 club', and 'F**k the other clubs, it's their own fault'. Sometimes it's like it's not the same club/group of fans at all. And then these same people will be on here criticising the Prem for being self-serving and money-mad. Incredible.

The difference being that our losses were being born by the directors of the club, not unpaid creditors including the taxman. At least that is my understanding of the matter, I stand to be corrected if that is not the case.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The fact remains that they have been signing players with the threat of winding up hanging over them. Do you think Neil Mellor is playing for free?

well obviously they were/are. They were probably relying on the directors to fund these things.

In our dark days when we had to sell Beeney or we were history, the club were still buying and selling players and were relying on the loans of the likes of Archer/ Stanley etc. That is how a football club works. We are even now relying on the goodwill of a director to build and finance the club, as Tooting says, if he hadn't come along I very much doubt if we would be here now.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
-10 Points would be wonderful, that coupled with Southampton's dreadful start to the season, and a automatic promotion spot could just be within grasp if this new striker turns out to be as excellent as some of Poyet's other signings.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Sheff Wed has one of the strongest squads in the league yet can't pay the tax man, this is very different to our situation back in the dark days isn't it?

Brighton_Barca

Bus stop wanker
I find the comments on here regarding another football league club a bit distasteful.

I seem to recall Wednesday fans standing next to me at Fans United and offereing support.

Or are we saying , thanks for then, but now you can f*** off!

No one is saying they hope they go bust. But if you don't run your football club properly then you can't expect people to feel sorry when it goes tits up.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I find the comments on here regarding another football league club a bit distasteful.

I seem to recall Wednesday fans standing next to me at Fans United and offereing support.

Or are we saying , thanks for then, but now you can f*** off!

Not at all, totally different scenario. We were being raped by our board but Wednesday's board seem to be throwing money around to secure some quality players while neglecting bills other clubs treat as a priority. Surely by not signing these players they would have avoided signing on fees, wages for 2 months of the season and wages for the remainder of the season. A substantial chunk of the 1 million could have been saved right there.

It sounds to me like they are pretty screwed and without shareholder investment or substantial player sales they will go into admin at some point this season.

I guess the real question is will signing the likes of Morrison, Mellor, Weaver etc offer enough of an advantage to take the potential hit of a 10 point deduction?

If a club goes into administration they should forfiet any rights to promotion IMO.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
No one is saying they hope they go bust. But if you don't run your football club properly then you can't expect people to feel sorry when it goes tits up.

the problem is how do you know they were not running it properly? Most football clubs ( if not all) run on debt and the promise of cash injection by the directors - as do we. Now there could be a reason why wednesday can't pay the tax man....maybe one of teh directors who promised the funds suddenly found his business went bust for example....there are a miriad of reasons why this could have happened.

Scenario:

Tonight Bloom turns over the wrong card that costs him £100million and bankrupts him. The club do not have the money to pay for the stadium and bills are due. the contractor goes to court and we are wound up. Will you expect other clubs fans to feel sorry for us when it all goes tits up? Was it our fault that we spent money on transfers/ wages etc. Of course not, we did it becuae the directors of teh club told us that they will support the club financially.

Reading Seagull

Jun 2, 2010
Reading
No one wants to see another club go into administration (hopefully) but it has to be said they continued to bring high profile players that are no doubt demanding high wages.

They knew they had the bill to pay....maybe they thought the signings would get them promoted despite the 10 points deduction - that way they get out of the league, take all the cash to go with promotion and have a decent squad going into the championship

Very risky business and I feel for the fans if it doesnt work.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why do people make up RIDICULOUS scenarios to prove a point?

Well, it's like this...

What if you, chappers, were in the middle of a debate with a tyrannosaurus and the only way you could avoid being eaten was by winning the argument. Wouldn't you try some ridiculous scenario to confuse his small brain and thus provide yourself an escape route?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
At the end of the day there's a big difference between being ripped off by your board and spending money you don't have in the hope that you'll prosper.

Having said that how do you think we got into the mess that brought us Archer and Belloti ?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Owing the tax man half a million quid and then signing Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison is just plain irresponsible and, to be frank, is a bit of a piss take. Isn't it, DtG?

PLEASE AGREE!

Brighton_Barca

Bus stop wanker
the problem is how do you know they were not running it properly? Most football clubs ( if not all) run on debt and the promise of cash injection by the directors - as do we. Now there could be a reason why wednesday can't pay the tax man....maybe one of teh directors who promised the funds suddenly found his business went bust for example....there are a miriad of reasons why this could have happened.

Scenario:

Tonight Bloom turns over the wrong card that costs him £100million and bankrupts him. The club do not have the money to pay for the stadium and bills are due. the contractor goes to court and we are wound up. Will you expect other clubs fans to feel sorry for us when it all goes tits up? Was it our fault that we spent money on transfers/ wages etc. Of course not, we did it becuae the directors of teh club told us that they will support the club financially.

If you're spending money you don't have then that isn't being run properly. When you know you owe £1+mill and then go out and increase your clubs spending then you're an idiot. Doesn't matter if someone promises you the money or not.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Well, it's like this...

What if you, chappers, were in the middle of a debate with a tyrannosaurus and the only way you could avoid being eaten was by winning the argument. Wouldn't you try some ridiculous scenario to confuse his small brain and thus provide yourself an escape route?

on the other hand, do you think our whole existance as a football club is dependant on one man or one family?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here