Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday facing administration

SheffieldBlues

Sep 9, 2010
But that's crap isn't it. Those aren't the only options. Why is "allowing ourselves a good chance of promotion", potentially paid for by creditors, a valid option?

Why not the option of "we cut our costs in order to pay back our debts and we may drop down a few leagues for a few years but so be it because we funded the good times with money we couldn't afford. We had the good, and sadly now we have to suck up the bad. We'll be back, but for now, we'll have to slum it because we just don't have the money and we need to pay back our debts". Was that an option you considered?

What gives a club massively in debt the luxury of the choice? That's what angers people like me.

Wednesday have been there and tried to do that...the last time we were in League One. At the end of the day, the bank knows that if we do that administration is more likely than a long slog of paying of 26m quid of debt in the lower leagues, it just wont happen.

If you owe the bank 100 quid its your problem, if you owe them 26 million its theirs. They want the club promoted to have half a chance of getting their money back. They have a big say in the running of the club now and have a hand in the business plan. Its the main creditor who wants us to go for promotion.

The last time I looked we hadnt gone into Admin (yet..hopefully we wont) and it is envisaged that the smaller creditors will be paid in the coming year.

To be fair to the club, they couldve gone into admin numerous times in recent years and have refused to do so because as our former chairman and now current chairman says, its only a last resort and that SWFC dont want to see smaller businesses affected.

Last edited:

SheffieldBlues

Sep 9, 2010
Thats fair enough, I found it tough to swallow when Palace drew with us on the last day and sent us down (with the expensive Ambrose scoring). Up until then I believe we were trying to do things the right way and now it seems like we have had to live beyond our means in the short term with the support of our main creditor.

All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here