Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday facing administration

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Owing the tax man half a million quid and then signing Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison is just plain irresponsible and, to be frank, is a bit of a piss take. Isn't it, DtG?

PLEASE AGREE!

of course I AGREE it is Chappers...what I am saying is that no-one knows the facts. Maybe , just maybe a director had promised them the money to buy them and has now welshed on the deal..

For once in my life I actually agree with frank. How do you think we got ourselves into the situation where Archer came along as the knight (sic) in shining armour

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Why are you asking me that? I was just answering Chapper's question.

you seem to have an opinion on everything, so I asked the question. If you dont want to answer it, dont

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Owing the tax man half a million quid and then signing Neil Mellor and Clinton Morrison is just plain irresponsible and, to be frank, is a bit of a piss take. Isn't it, DtG?

PLEASE AGREE!

It is, but because of the Pompey judgment that actually you don't have to pay the taxman back in full it could be argued that it's a calculated move on the part of Wednesday to do better than they otherwise thought they'd be able to.

I am only speculating, but what if they had two options. One is to pay the taxman, go into the new season with a depleted squad > struggle on the pitch > less people come to see them getting caned > less season ticket renewals > less money.

Option two is to not bother paying the taxman and instead strengthen the squad. OK, administration will knock ten points off but you then get the debts wiped off with you paying a fraction of what is owed, plus you have a stronger squad and fans will be more eager to part with their cash to help their poor struggling team.

As I say, just speculating, but you can see why clubs might act like this becasue of the pisstake ruling over Pompey. Wednesday just need to make sure that they owe HMRC less than 25% of the total debt so they can't block the CVA (see Bates, K and Andronikou, A) and they will be fine.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Why are you asking me that? I was just answering Chapper's question.

He's asking, Acker, because say you were a nomadic centipede, desperate for water and you found a well. But before you could drink King Louis the XVI turns up and points out the water is in fact sand and is nothing more than a trick of the mind. He then asks what a nomadic centipede is doing in the desert anyway. Surely the only response would be, "but why are you, King Louis the XVI, in the desert?"

Think about it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Struggle to find any sympathy.
We have been dossing around the bottom two divisions for the majority of our recent history, making do with by and large SHITHOUSE signings, because thats all that was budgetable by the Board.

Boring stuff like taxes, bills and creditors got paid while we bumbled along in the the lower reaches of the League. So excuse me if I don't fall over myself with sorrow for a club that has maintained itself in the upper reaches at other peoples (including taxpayers) expense.

Wednesday will survive, and with Championship players of the quality of Tudguy and Mellor, and with massive crowds for this level, will in all likelihood leave us behind this season when they go up, courtesy of their strong squad.

So SPARE me the sob story.

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The fact remains that they have been signing players with the threat of winding up hanging over them. Do you think Neil Mellor is playing for free?
Absolutely. I don't want Wednesday to go into Administration or go bust. And that isn't because "no one wants to see a football club go bust" but because I don't want to see another big(ish) club weasling out of their debt. I want them to pay what they owe, the same as we did. If they can do that as well as making (for this division) big signings and paying big salaries then fair enough.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

PLEASE AGREE!

I must agree,SW are in the third tier and should cut their cloth accordingly,we were (although not all of us) hoping TB would spend 1m on a striker not that long ago without one iota of cash other than TB's to fund it and what then if we had gone tits up and ended up in the 4th tier.
one thing in their favour is that they get big crowds to pay wages ecet ...........but then hang on where has all the money gone to be 1.1m in to the taxman.

they really should know better they have been around long enough

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There is no need really to gloat on this, we were once in dire straits

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
struggle to find any sympathy.
We have been dossing around the bottom two divisions for the majority of our recent history, making do with by and large shithouse signings, because thats all that was budgetable by the board.

Boring stuff like taxes, bills and creditors got paid while we bumbled along in the the lower reaches of the league. So excuse me if i don't fall over myself with sorrow for a club that has maintained itself in the upper reaches at other peoples (including taxpayers) expense.

Wednesday will survive, and with championship players of the quality of tudguy and mellor, and with massive crowds for this level, will in all likelihood leave us behind this season when they go up, courtesy of their strong squad.

So spare me the sob story.

thank you.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Good grief! Another club living beyond its means? I'm shocked. Isn't it about time a stop was put to this sort of thing.I cannot choose if I pay tax,or I'd choose not to_Okay it wouldn't be millions,but the principle is the thing.

Football seems to have a strong contingent of total incompetents in charge,but for the sake of their supporters I hope nothing nasty happens to this club beyond the going rate points deductions and the echoes of laughter from across the city.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Good grief! Another club living beyond its means? I'm shocked. Isn't it about time a stop was put to this sort of thing.I cannot choose if I pay tax,or I'd choose not to_Okay it wouldn't be millions,but the principle is the thing.

Football seems to have a strong contingent of total incompetents in charge,but for the sake of their supporters I hope nothing nasty happens to this club beyond the going rate points deductions and the echoes of laughter from across the city.

I wouldn't say that they are incompetent more like gamblers, just like ours !

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
on the other hand, do you think our whole existance as a football club is dependant on one man or one family?

No, I don't think it is.

Undoubtedly, the new stadium is dependant on one man, but not our existence. We have put up with Gillingham, Withdean.....and also a very run-down Goldstone for almost 20 years now........and we haven't folded.

Without Bloom, I imagine we would have had to wait a few more years for our shiny new stadium, when the economy improves.......and banks start lending again.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Until the FA realise that a ten-point reduction is not nearly sufficient punishment for going into Administration, these situations will continue to occur.......often by the bigger clubs.

For example.......sign 5 top class players on £10,000 a week......cost for season....£2.5 million.

Pay these top players from gate revenue, and bugger the taxman and St.Johns....amongst many others...........say..?....£5 million.

Would these top 5 players earn for the club more than 10 points in a season..?...of course they would...plus , maybe the prospect of promotion too.

Makes good business sense............and is 'cheating' too.

f*** Sheffield Wednesday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The difference being that our losses were being born by the directors of the club, not unpaid creditors including the taxman. At least that is my understanding of the matter, I stand to be corrected if that is not the case.

We were bloody close though, I seem to recall a few high-court appearances for unpaid tax and only the Beeney sale saving the day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here